cd drive question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cd drive question

Does anybody know much about the slimline dvd/cd-rw 's? I'm totally replacing the stereo with my pc so I'm curious if the slimline can handle playing a cd while the car is in motion. Otherwise I suppose Ill just rip the cd to the HD real quick. My only other question is if it matters how the drive is orientated (vertical, horizontal, is one safer way then the other, etc) Thanks everyone

are you looking to get a slot loader drive? those are pretty cool, that's what I have. Something weird with the slot loader drive I got, the adapter that takes it to USB (and even IDE) plug in to the back of the drive upside down.

also, if you plan on mounting the drive so the CD pops straight UP, I don't think the drive has enough power, or won't work properly if mounted in this orientation. but horizontal or vertical, I don't think that matters.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in here. Good luck with your build!

Comment

Originally posted by cheever View Post
      Does anybody know much about the slimline dvd/cd-rw 's? I'm totally replacing the stereo with my pc so I'm curious if the slimline can handle playing a cd while the car is in motion. Otherwise I suppose Ill just rip the cd to the HD real quick. My only other question is if it matters how the drive is orientated (vertical, horizontal, is one safer way then the other, etc) Thanks everyone
      It should be fine when the car is in motion.

I have never tried a slot load unit in the verticle position, but it might have some issues. You would have to try it. However, non slot load SLIM LINE units (I think they call them tray loads) like in a laptop have a retaining system on the tray to keep the CD locked in place while it spins, and that youo not be a problem being verticle. Full size units don't have the retaining system, so they probably can't be mounted vertically either.

Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Working...
      X