Noob Questions....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob Questions....

Hey up chaps... been planning a car PC for a while... Only recently discovered this site somehow.... even though it's fairly near the top of the searches!!

Just wondering on the set up.... planning to run an old gygabite mobo running an athalon 1400 (1.1ghz) and 586mb of ram (odd number i know... still unsure how thats happened!!) not got a HD yet but been offered a 160 gb one...

Was planning to shift about 100gb of music over to it but My music HD died on me so lost all of the stuff that wasn't on cd... poo...

Just wondering what would be the best audio interface available? what I'm looking for is something mainly to play MP3's off a HD.... Might use the 160 gb one for the main PC and shift the 80 gb one over (boot drive on desktop)... having looked through the site would be looking possibly to add mobile phone support and possibly GPS if I could get it for free.... or other means....

Just wondering what would be the best way to go about it... happy to work in xp or linux... though my linux is very limited...

Looking for something that literally boots up straight into a menu system and you just pic what you want... not particularly bothered in web features... having seen the phone support I'm extremely interested in that.... as this is going to be put in a semi show car... I.E. one that's gonna get used fairly regularly but gonna be entered into shows too don't need excessive amounts of stuff...

to recap... as I realised it's dragged on abit... damn havana club!! Just want something that mainly plays MP3's... would like it to do phone stuff(bluetooth) and gps but not essential...

forgot to add... what would I need in terms of hardware? obviously need bluetooth dongle & gps reciever if going that way... Would like to run a std FMradio... not any kind of internet based stuff... any idea's?

I'm in the UK... planning to run a touchscreen (forgot to add that) and would be quite interested in the help...

sorry for dribbling...

Steve

P.S. if you need to mail me through my profile....

MEEPS!! (just cause it amoooosed me!!)

HEre are some informational resources for you:

Newbie FAQ

FAQ to the FAQs

FAQ Emporium

Welcome to our madness....
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Sup and welcome to the forums.
      ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
      Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
      All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
      Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

Comment

sup... still trying to get to bet... need to get up for work... bleh...
        damn it!!! still sooooo much to read....

only need a HD and screen... then the construction will begin... why oh why did I decide to rebuild my dashboard!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Monkey View Post
          sup... ..... still sooooo much to read....!!!
          Welcome Moon Monkey. So much to read, yes. The effort pays off though.

I love your cousins, the Trunk Monkeys. Those guys are hilarious.
          ~Jimmy

Comment

Yeah lots of stuff to read, hopefully I will have read enough by the time I do my car pc (8 months from now )
            -------
            I'm hungry

Comment

gonna build a new dashboard for it all to go in!!! wish me luck!!!

Comment

Welcome and good luck.

Why a whole new dashboard?
                Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

mainly cause i don't like mine... and also I have no heaters now so the vents are useless and could be turned into something more interesting... Also ned to fit a screen in it... It's an opel manta btw... Old SKool!!!

Comment

Well sounds like you have a lot of work in your future!

Keep us informed.
                    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Pics?
                      ODYSSEY

Originally posted by Tidder
                      Hey, as long as it's not any particular race I'm offending, I can stand to be a pedophile.
                      All information expressed in this post is my opinion, and should not be regarded as a statement of fact.
                      Digital-Car UK|

(\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(")

Comment

planning to build the PC first...

decided on frodo with the phone thing and possible DVD support... and maybe gps if I can find some compatable software....

Rock on.... Just need to make a skin for it now!!!

Comment

pics of the car?

pics of the pc??

Pics of the install???

firstly... the car looks a bit of a mess at the moment... is due a respray but I need to get the sideskirts before i can do that... so it's bout 5 different colours at the mo...

PC?... Well... at the moment that's a MOBO & soundcard... got a power invertor but contemplating just buying one of those direct to ignition psu's... shouldn't need too much power... Still need a Touchscreen and HD (hopefully the HD will be coming shortly!!)

Install? pipe dream at the moment... the Manta dash is a really small bit of foam... will need to knock up a sketch to show what it's gonna look like... need to decide on what I'm doing with my clocks first too... all so complicated...

in the process of building a skin... possibly using that frodo skinner if I can sus it out... If not got photo shop to play with!!

That's a pic of the car the kit came off... the roof rotted and the owner couldn't be arsed to save it... though the swine isn't reachable and still has my side skirts....

Comment

Welcome and good luck
                            TruckinMP3
                            D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Working...
                            X