Wierd PC Problem...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd PC Problem...

I've got an AMD board with 3 USB devices connected and 512 megs of ram. Its powered with an M2-ATX.

It's been working fine while I drive around, but as soon as drive into the city after about 2-3 minutes the computer just goes into hibernate or suspend or something because i hear the fan still running and my xenarc is still getting power.

Now I know the most GPS units don't work well where there are tall buildings and this only happens when I drive in the city.

This has never happened when I drive around other areas only the city.

anyone know whats going on?

the GPS unit is the BU-353
    1999 Lexus GS300- (going VIP)
    1993 Lexus SC300-Turbo (Totaled by idiot driver)
    1996 Lexus SC400- (Totaled by brother)
    1972 Datsun 240Z- (WIP)
    1994 Toyota Camry- (sold)

Originally posted by Curry View Post
    I've got an AMD board with 3 USB devices connected and 512 megs of ram. Its powered with an M2-ATX.

It's been working fine while I drive around, but as soon as drive into the city after about 2-3 minutes the computer just goes into hibernate or suspend or something because i hear the fan still running and my xenarc is still getting power.

Now I know the most GPS units don't work well where there are tall buildings and this only happens when I drive in the city.

This has never happened when I drive around other areas only the city.

anyone know whats going on?

the GPS unit is the BU-353

Tell us a little most about the setup.

How to do you have the M2 wired? What gauge wire? How old is the car? What about the battery?

What are the specs of the MB, and what processor and other accessories are connected to the card, like vido or sound cards.

Sounds to me the problem is a voltage and power problem. When you are in the city, at stop lights and city driving, the car voltage drops, causing the computer to shutdown. But, in the "country" where there is little stop and go, the alternator is constantly powering the computer so there is little voltage/amperage drop.

This is just an assumption and guess, more information is needed.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

M2-ATX power supply x2 (One powers just the board, USB and graphics)
      the second powers the 17 inch monitor, the touchscreen and the HD

ECS 741GX-M(V1.0) w/XPM 2400+ AMD Athlon XP Mobile 2400+ Socket A (Socket 462) SiS 741GX Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Set

ViewEra V174SD-B Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor

Xenarc 7 inch touch screen

Crucial Technology 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) System Memory

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L080P0 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive

GeforceMX 440 Graphics Card

My alternator is a stock 80 amp alternator. No Big 3 yet.

Voltage measures 14.3-13.9 while car is on and idle
      Voltage measures 12.5 when off

I have 0guage that goes to a distribution block and each power supply is powered by 10 guage wire

I will be upgrading the alt to a 200amp alternator soon.

Car is a 1994 Toyota Camry 113k miles
      Battery is an ACdelco roughly 3-4 years old in good condition (upgrading to a redtop)
      1972 Datsun 240Z- (WIP)

Comment

M2-ATX power supply x2 (One powers just the board, USB and graphics)
        the second powers the 17 inch monitor, the touchscreen and the HD

ECS 741GX-M(V1.0) w/XPM 2400+ AMD Athlon XP Mobile 2400+ Socket A (Socket 462) SiS 741GX Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Set

ViewEra V174SD-B Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor

Xenarc 7 inch touch screen

Crucial Technology 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) System Memory

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L080P0 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive

GeforceMX 440 Graphics Card

Your the one with the 2 M2's having issues with your battery running down, right?

Your system is quite taxing on the M2's. Have you run a powr calculator to make sure you are not pulling to much power from any single power rail? The MB, CPU, Memory, AND EXPECIALLY YOUR SUPER DUPER GRAFICS card draw GOBS of power.

Also, what gauge wire do you have from the battery to the M2's?

Is it stop and go in the city, and not in the country? Can you determie if both, or just one, of the M2 are shutting down. Which one controls the start up and shutdown of the carputer? Do you use Hibernate, standby, or shutdown completely? Do you have the same wires leading to the M2, the same power the same ground, the same accessory/switched/ignition wire. What gauge are they. In your other thread, I think you said you shut down completely, but now you say that something happens to the system and it goes into some sort of mode, but you don't know which one. It's possible that when youo think you are shutting down, you are not, it is just going into this "fan spinning mode" which actually sounds like standby, but not S3 standby. Do you even know what mode you use to shutdown the computer? How do youo accomplish it.

These problems seem very related, but you have yet to clearly indicate how things are wired and operating.

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Yes its me =P

Ok from my battery I have a 0 guage wire going to the trunk to a distribution block. Each power supply has a 10 guage wire each going to a slot on the distribution block.

When the computer cuts off, both the screen and PC are still running, I can hear the fan and I still see the lights on the xenarc.

The ground which is also 10 guage but each has its own wire, they just share the same ground spot..

The PC is always shut down, I never use hibernate or suspend.

Where I drive it is still stop and go but not as much as the city.

The system has always worked fine while I idle in my driveway... which is the most confusing part...

Both my powersupplies are set to shut down the computer when I turn the engine off...

The first power supply that one that is hooked up to the motherboard is the one that controls start up and shut down. When I added the second supply i just joined the 2 green wires.

Otherwise everything works fine and I can startup and shutdown without problems.
          1972 Datsun 240Z- (WIP)

Comment

Yes its me =P

Ok from my battery I have a 0 guage wire going to the trunk to a distribution block. Each power supply has a 10 guage wire each going to a slot on the distribution block.

When the computer cuts off, both the screen and PC are still running, I can hear the fan and I still see the lights on the xenarc.

Each one also share the same ground.

The PC is always shut down, I never use hibernate or suspend.

Where I drive it is still stop and go but not as much as the city.

The system has always worked fine while I idle in my driveway... which is the most confusing part...

Both my powersupplies are set to shut down the computer when I turn the engine off...
            Which one of the M2's actually connect to the ACPI header on your MB? Do they both have an accessory/ignition connection, and are they from the same place? Have you checked your setting to make sure that you are shutting down and not going into hibernate/standby. Have you checked your bios for the type of standby you are using? Does the fan still spin on the MB when it "shutsdown"

Michael

Also, have you

Comment

If the PC fan is running, the PC isn't shut down. Is it possible that either the monitor is losing sync and displaying a black screen or your PC is locking up and displaying a black screen? Maybe power save is kicking in and your system isn't hibernating/suspending properly.

Comment

Ok when I shut my PC down everything is off, including the fan. I doubled checked my BIOS and everything in there is good as well. I disabled hibernate.
                Both supplies are hooked up to the same ACC wire
                1972 Datsun 240Z- (WIP)

Comment

Ok when I shut my PC down everything is off, including the fan. I doubled checked my BIOS and everything in there is good as well. I disabled hibernate.
                  Both supplies are hooked up to the same ACC wire
                  Which one connects to the MB's ACPI header, the one that powers the MB or the one that powers the other stuff?

Michael

Comment

the one that powers the mb
                    1972 Datsun 240Z- (WIP)

Comment

the one that powers the mb
                      Makes no sense

No idea.

Michael

Comment

Perhaps after I upgrade my batts and alternator we'll see what happens. For now i'll check the voltages to see how much is being drawn while its off.

I already planned to add a red top under the hood and a yellow top in the trunk.
                        1972 Datsun 240Z- (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                        X