No announcement yet.

Tiny new shuttle systems (SS40 & SS50)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny new shuttle systems (SS40 & SS50)

I know these cases have been discussed a little bit, but those threads didn't contain a whole lot of useful knowlege. For those that don't know, these are very small footprint bare-bones computers (very similar to the Shuttle SV24) except these new systems support P4's (SS50) and Athalon XP's (SS40), along with DDR ram, TWO PCI slots, integrated video, integrated 5.1 sound, integrated firewire, usb, etc...
    I've seen a couple of installs with the SV24 and it looks great tucked in a corner. I was thinking about using one in my system but didn't like the thought of only one PCI slot, especially since I know I want to use an Audigy card. I really like the idea of having a powerful processor for everything from fast ripping and speech recognition to awesome gaming. My only concern is about the thermal output of these CPU's. Which would be the best way to go for good awesome processing power, but still being able to maintain adequate CPU temps in the Arizona summer. Basically do P4's or XP's run cooler? And cool enough for a car application in a hot environment?

Exact opposite. Athlons and P4's run much HOTTER.

This was discussed in an earlier thread 2 wks ago. the concensus reccomendation is to stick with a P3/C700 or less.

Comment

A lot of the new laptop/notebooks come with "P4 Mobile" chips.
      When the first P4 notebook came out it used a desktop P4 chip, then a couple of months ltr Intel released the P4 Mobile chip that does'nt put out as much heat.
      Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor – M
      They also make a PIII-M chip.

These chip's will run cooler but costs a lot more.
      GTI - Palm IIIe controlled with Radio faceplate hack for keyboard control of WinAmp w/ Vocal Genre playlist loading.
      VW Bus - 10.4" vga lcd. Loaded with same software as above.

Comment

I've been in the www.viahardware.com forum discussing this and the Via c3 chips are the coolest on the market and work especially well with this system. In fact, they can run without a CPU fan, maing the case quieter. Noise is the #1 complaint with this system. But I'm putting mine in the trunk anyway, so that's not a concern of mine.

Something to keep in mind that I'm considering; go with a C3 550mhz. It may not sound like the fastes cpu, but it's PLENTY to do MP3, DVD, and GPS. You're not going to be overclocking or playing insane games in your car anyway (I hope!) and that will also assist with cooling.

As soon as I can get my budget Nazi (the wife) to give me some money (yes, she wears the pants in the family) I'll be getting this system.
        TheFly
        http://www.nogagreflex.com
        "Making the world easier to swallow."

[----------]% On hold because I burned my finger on my soldering iron and I'm mad. *pouts*

Comment

So this VIA chip is pentium compatible? So it'll go in the SS50 right? I like the thought of a very low heat output chip, but are you worried at all about compatibility issues? I remember when AMD chips first came out there a lot of instablity issues... sability is one of the more important criteria for me. I'm thinking of going with the SS50 to get the better chipset, memory, video and sound as well as the extra PCI slot, but just put a 500-900 celeron in it for heat reasons. Also, does anybody have a source where you can buy these motherboards without buying the whole system?

Comment

Actually, my bad. I don't know the exact specs on the 2245 and 50. I was thinking the SV24 and 25. Though I'm sure the SS series has some compatibility with some of the C3's relatives.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like the SS series does NOT support those. I'm going with a SV24 myself because it's a little cheaper, and I can run the Via C3 in it. I'm no Audiophile and I certailny don't need the kickass video.
            TheFly

[----------]% On hold because I burned my finger on my soldering iron and I'm mad. *pouts*

Comment

C3 is nice!

I have a C3 900 or 933...what ever it is.

Great chip...runs nice and cool, etc. I use it with the SV24

Comment

Re: C3 is nice!

Originally posted by nolmscheid
                I have a C3 900 or 933...what ever it is.

Great chip...runs nice and cool, etc. I use it with the SV24
                What do you use your sv24 for? I'm definately looking at getting one. What else do you have it set up with? Is it really as lound as people say?
                TheFly

Comment

In my Durango

It is a system that is in mn Durango. In the very back I have a false floor that comes standard in the Durangoes. I have the computer out of the case and will be mounted in there, and there are vents going into that cubby for circulation.

I use it for DVD, Mp3, GPS, Internet, TV, etc.

I am waiting for my Mod for my 10.4 inch touch screen to be done, (its getting upholstered) and then I will get everything all setup. It does not seem that loud to me. It will be way in the back under the floor so it should not be heard at all.

I have read posts that people have changed out the fans for quieter fans. Thats not too expensive to do.

I will post pics when my setup is finsihed. Once I get that mod back, I probably have another 2 days to get everything all tidyed up....should get the mod back this week

Comment

That sounds excellent. Very similar to what I want to do with my VW New Beetle. Though I plan to keep it in the case so I can remove it and use it as a portable machine and such. Can't wait to see the pics of your setup. Seeings your implementation my be the key to givine me better imlplementation ideas.
                    TheFly

Comment

The SS50 will only take a P4 s478 chip. The Celerons are still p3 based, as are the cyrix's, so they'll only work in the sv24/25, with the celeron-t's only working in the sv25. The P4 should run cooler than a AXP, but on the other hand, AMD has retained backwards compatibility, so you should in theory be able to put a duron ~750 into a ss40. And the cyrix is pin compatible with the p3, but compatibility on a motherboard isnt "guarrenteed," altho it should work. And I originally tried to do a cyrix 700 system, but first i got a cpu with bent pins (looks like a P1 btw) and then the s370 mobo I got for it was doa.
                      -Nick

Comment

My celeron 900 hardly gets hot at all.

It just stays warm to the touch, maybe 100~110F max.

Hell, it puts out less heat than my k6-2 350 did
                        www.arbybean.com

Comment

Again, anybody know where you can buy these motherboards by themselves? Either the 24, 40, or 50?

Comment

the fv24/25, being just the motherboard, can be found at any number of online retailers (eg mwave.com) for ~125.
                            -Nick

Comment

Originally posted by TheFly
                              I've been in the www.viahardware.com forum discussing this and the Via c3 chips are the coolest on the market and work especially well with this system. In fact, they can run without a CPU fan, maing the case quieter. Noise is the #1 complaint with this system.
                              w00t! Same processor that I'm looking for!

I've no real interest in watching TV or DVD in the car while I'm driving - I draw the line earlier than that if I have to drive th edamn car myself! So the C3 is going to be plenty for me as well (and yes it will fit in the SV24 - it's a socket 370 processor).

FlyMan - have you found a place that sells the C3 for reasonable bucks? Only ones that I have been able to find are new - nothing happening on either of the big auction sites here in Australia for these processors.

C!
                              http://carpc.riposte.net
                              I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

Working...
                              X