Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10" Touchscreen all in one computer for less then $150???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10" Touchscreen all in one computer for less then $150???

Check this puppy out! Seems like a really interesting package for such a low price! Ramline Tablet PC. 500 Mhz (overclockable??) 128 Mb Ram (Ubgradeable??) 6 GB H/D (2.5 Inch perhaps?) Looks like this could be a viable solution for the low budgeted carPC consumer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ramline-Tablet-P...QQcmdZViewItem

I think that I might order one of these and crack open the case to see what I can play with inside. I'm wondering what type of H/D this comp contains and what I can hack to make this more CarPC friendly with the idea of utilizing in my wife's truck. Anyone who has experiences, input, post up!!!
    Check out the updates. Project 2003 Dakota worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85490

IS JACK BAUER GONNA HAVE TO SMACK A *****?

Hello there,

I purchased one of these and I received it last week.
    It is a nice little tablet.
    Trying to find info for these has been hard.
    So far I have been able to get sound drivers for Windows NT and Windows 2k also the User manual.

The unit does not come with a battery (just like the listing says but when I opened the compartment for the battery I really don't see any kind of connector or contact for a battery so It might not work with a battery).

I think I read somewhere that this takes any where from 10V to 20V but for now I'm using the AC adapter that came with the unit.

The pen was not working correctly so I decided to reinstall the software that was loaded on the HD. Big mistake every thing got screwed up.
    There is no floppy so to get files onto the unit was a hassle, luckily I have a 100MB PCMCIA HD that was recognized by the unit and I can use this to transfer files from my laptop to this tablet.

I got the touchscreen to work but now I cannot get the handwriting recognition software to work. I get some kind of error that it is missing a moufilter.cat file (I can't find it anywhere).

I was lucky in that I received a 10GB hard drive with mine.

There is only one slot for the memory and the most RAM that can be installed is 256MB.

It comes with a serial port, parallel port and 1 USB port.

I don't have the unit on me so I'm trying to write this from memory.

I believe it has a line out and a mic out.

I can run winamp (version 2.8) and play mp3's without any type of glitches after I get other things running I will try install a new version of Winamp but for now it is perfect for what I need.

Eventually I would like to put this in my car with GPS.

Today I will try to install Road runner.

that's it for now.

ChillyWilly

Comment

That's a very cool looking device. Damn cheap, too!

Comment

I would defenitely like to get my hands on one of these and perhaps play around with Linux and see what I can come up with. After all, they have touchscreen drivers available but trying to get one to work with this unit might be a little bit of a challenge. For the most part, it looks like it would make a good removable touchscreen tablet PC. From what I understand the hard drive is a 2.5" and can be swapped. I have checked a few different websites that have listed specifications and it looks like after some simple modifications such as maxing out the RAM and investing in a USB 2.0 card as well as an 802.11 G PCMCIA card, this unit could be good to go. In time it might be possible to eventually find a battery or even substitute with a different battery. I have heard of people utilizing RC car batteries in applications such as this but I don't know how that might work. One last thing, I am very interested in finding out if the CPU can be overclocked or even swapped for a faster one. Just some things to think about perhaps.
        Check out the updates. Project 2003 Dakota worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85490

Comment

Anybody taken one apart? Pics?

Comment

i'd be more interested in just removing the screen and using it elsewhere, but i doubt it would be that easy..

Comment

I also purchased one. I need the drivers for win2k. I upgraded hd too a 20 gig.

I also loaded winxp on machine ran Streets and Trips 2006 the pc does not have enough resources to run software. I am slip streaming a copy of XP ripping out all the BS to free up resources. I have my unit apart and will upload pictures today. I also need drivers for the touchscreen for win2k. So if anyone has them PLEASE send.
              Attached Files

Comment

Just finished installing the slipstream xp on tablet... Same problem not enough resources to run Streets and Trips 2006. Going too try Streets and Trips 2005 in a few hours. If this does not work... Gps wont be possible for me unless I find someother software for GPS that was the whole purpose for this unit... Anyone have any suggestions from something I have missed please let me know....I am wanting to create a ISO that anyone with the units can play mp3's and GPS at the same time thats inexpensive.

Thanks donandsandra

Comment

I think that one of the problems that you may be running into is that Windows XP is so RESOURCE HEAVY to begin with. I may be incorrect but even if the Ramline was maxed out in memory, it would still have the bare minimum resources to run XP. I would strongly suggest looking at Windows 98 SE (or perhaps even Linux if you are so inclined). This tablet is a great looking machine and I am wondering if I can pop in a new P3 processor and max the ram. Perhaps even overclocking would be an option but I have to admit that from the start, Windows XP is probably not a viable solution. If you are thinking about Linux, I would say give it a try and even download something like Damn Small Linuux because it is less then 50 Mb and is not as resource heavy as Windows is. There is also a good GPS program that runs on minumum resources as well but I cannot remember what the name of is. This is just my opinion though, try different options if you can. This seems like a good project box.

Comment

Im running WinMe on the unit... Streets and Trips 2006 will not run on this unit with that OS. Would you know of a different GPS thats less of a resource hog... that will run on WinMe...

Im trying S&T2005 and Garmin version...

thanks donandsandra

Comment

Hi there donandsandra,

I have one of these units and I messed up my touch control and handwriting recognition.
                      I was able to get the touchscreen working by using these drivers:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3.../TouchDrivers/

Go to legacy drivers and use either the UPDD 3.8.34 or UPDD 3.8.54.
                      I'm currently using Windows 98SE and I could not get the 3.8.54 driver to work so I've been using the 3.8.34 driver.
                      When you install this driver make sure you have a keyboard hooked up, because when you install and reboot the pen will not work.
                      You have to open up the configuration panel and make sure it is set to COM3 and that the baud is set to 9600. Once you have set this up you should be able to calibrate and use the pen.
                      If by chance you can get PENX to work I would love some information as to how this is done.

I'm writing this from memory and I don't have the unit in front of me so forgive me if some of the instructions are vague, if you would like more detailed instructions I can write them up once I get home tonight.

How much ram are you running this unit with?
                      I'm using 128MB, do you know a good source for 256MB SODIMM's?

I was using a PCMCIA HD to copy files from my laptop to the Ramline, but it is very slow on transferring the files. A better solution was to use a USB drive, I still had to use the PCMCIA HD to transfer the drivers for the USB stick onto the Ramline though.

I've installed Roadrunner and am using the Bongo skin, looks nice. I still have to play around with some configurations and would eventually love to get a GPS unit going.

Good luck,
                      ChillyWilly

Comment

I also purchased Ramline 510 PIII off ebay for $115. Although auction description included a Blastmaster sound card, my unit had no sound card whatsoever. Also, screen had several blotches along with the scratches. When screen is on, its barely noticable. However, it did come with 10gb drive instead of just 6gb.

Initially, it took a little while to get things going. I have a TrendNet 10/100 network card, but Windows 98SE wouldn't recognize any of the drivers. I ended up using a null serial cable in order to do file transfers to the Ramline, via HyperTerminal. HyperTerminal wasn't installed, but luckily seller included much of the Windows 98SE install disk under C:\W98 directory.

I use a Buffalo WLI-CB-G54HP wireless G card w/7dbi external antenna. The antenna has a MC-card connector so its made to connect to the Buffalo card. The connector that came with Ramline is just a little bit larger but I'm sure one could improvise. When in my car, I plug Ramline into Statpower 150watt power inverter ($19.99 shipped, search for "Statpower 150" on ebay). I was able to connect to my home wireless network from almost a block away. Very pleased with the connection. I previously tried a Linksys WPC54G card and it could barely pick up 15 feet away, plus I have a Linksys WRT5GG access point!

I am currently looking for a better onscreen keyboard, as the one that came with unit is way too small. Also, my touchscreen has also quit working. Guess I'll fix that when I get time. Perhaps drivers just need to be reloaded from the C:\W98 directory.

I have a Holux-213u (usb) GPS locator that I intend to use with Microsoft Streets and Trips. Supposedly this device is much better than the GPS locator included with Microsoft S&T. I know of another Ramline buyer that has used this setup in their jeep and Microsoft S&T 2005 works nice. Both he and I opted to just stay with Windows 98SE, as this unit will be used as a general mobile device and nothing more.

I also have a Nexotek NT-P100M USB Skype phone that works nice with the Ramline. I like this particular phone because Skype is preloaded into phone's 128mb memory so that you dont have to install Skype on pc itself. Plus, phone memory can be used as a memory stick. However, you can't use phone keys to navigate address book like you can with XP. I got this phone fairly cheap from amazon.com because at the time they were giving a $40 credit just for signing up for their credit card.

Right now, I'm looking for some sort of car mount for the Ramline. I have a 1995 honda civic and it actually fits perfect beneath the console and in front of 5spd stick. But. I'm concerned USB connector will be loosened as it is very close to center hump. I'm thinking of even gluing some sort of plate on back of PC, with some sort of gooseneck flexible connector I can attach to a seat rail.

Interesting unit... I like mine. Obviously its pretty tough as its up to military standards. I noticed a dent on the back of mine where someone probably dropped it on cement floor.

For anyone who wants one, email [email protected] and ask him to send you users guide for Xplore Ramline 510 Tablet PC PIII/500mhz.

Comment

I have purchased this unit as well. I am still running the Win98SE that came on it, since it works well with this level of hardware. I am using software to interface with my ECU now and I am planning to use it as an MP3 jukebox as well. I am running Winamp 5 with no issues.

I got a cheap wireless card off ebay that doesn't have a very large antenna on it. I opened it up and cut the antenna trace on the card. I soldered coax on here and routed that to the antenna connector on the side of the Ramline. I put a rubber TNC antenna on the side and now I have wireless with the PCMCIA weather cover in place. I did have to trim plastic off the end of the card to make it work and now I can't really remove this card. It's sort of like built-in wireless. This is nice because I can pull into the garage and transfer mp3s from my file server. It's also how I downloaded Winamp, etc.

I really want to find a driver for the front panel rubber buttons. I want to assign them to the main applications. Anybody know how to do this?

I have mocked up a couple of vehicle mounts, but I haven't found anything I'm really happy with. In the end, I think it will require fabricating a bracket that wraps around the back, hitting the 4 screw holes in the sides. Then maybe a standard Ram Mount can be used. To use the touchscreen it needs to be well supported from behind.

Also, mine was missing one speaker when I received it, so I dropped a replacement in, which works fine.

I am running mine directly from the vehicle DC supply and it works great! (It probably won't charge an internal battery like this, if anybody is using one.)

Another bonus is that from Standby, the unit wakes up when my ECU starts talking to it, so I have automatic power on. I just have to figure out someting to automatically put it into Standby when I turn the vehicle off. I will probably give it it's own battery to power it in standby.

I also complained to the seller on ebay that he is listing these units as "Factory Refurbished", when they are obviously just "used". Mine wasn't even cleaned, was missing a screw, had a loose antenna jack and was missing one speaker. That is not refurbished by any standard.

Comment

Originally posted by donandsandra View Post
                            Just finished installing the slipstream xp on tablet... Same problem not enough resources to run Streets and Trips 2006. Going too try Streets and Trips 2005 in a few hours. If this does not work... Gps wont be possible for me unless I find someother software for GPS that was the whole purpose for this unit... Anyone have any suggestions from something I have missed please let me know....I am wanting to create a ISO that anyone with the units can play mp3's and GPS at the same time thats inexpensive.

Thanks donandsandra
                            You should not have any problems with Win 98 or Win 2000 and most GPS software. I am using Streets and Trips 2006 and iGuidance V. 3.0 on an old IBM laptop 300 MHz with 96 Mb memory and both programs run perfectly. The iGuidance is a much better GPS software. I am considering purchasing this Tablet as a dedicated GPS with iGuidance software, it looks like it should be ideal for it. I am wondering why you are having problems? Anyone else having problems running any GPS software with this Tablet?

Comment

Originally posted by ticketmagnet View Post
                              I also complained to the seller on ebay that he is listing these units as "Factory Refurbished", when they are obviously just "used". Mine wasn't even cleaned, was missing a screw, had a loose antenna jack and was missing one speaker. That is not refurbished by any standard.
                              I am wondering what did they say when you complained about their "Factory Refurbished" claim? As I said, I am considering purchasing one of this tablets but I really want to get a "Factory Refurbished" and not a piece of junk.

Comment

Working...
                              X