Beginning Planning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning Planning

Im now ready to begin planning what I want my carpc to do. I know I want it to have Bluetooth, GPS, and a nice Soundcard (preferably one with 4 speaker outputs if possible). I may not ever use it but I want a dvd-burner in it as well. I will have it setup for wireless internet. A usb hub will be necessary as well for what I'm wanting to do. I don't believe it will need much power except for maybe the Dvd burning. Im gonna want 512 of ram and a 60 gig hdd at least more than likely Ill get a hdd from work like a 120gb or so possibly 200gb so i can store tons of music and video. The main things it will be used for are music, cellphone usage, video, internet, and gps in that order. So Lets see, with that said Ill break it down to see what I want so far....

-=Edit=-
    I just remembered I want to add a video camera as well so i can look at the screen and see the road aead of me, not for driving or anything but for cool effect, we have alot of deer down here that run out in the roads, if in the case I hit one (heaven forbid) and my brushguard took care of it, a video would go along nicely with the story, Plus the cool-factor of having a camera on the road like that.

Now I just remebered I will need a video out as well, anything that will convert over to composite will work. Im using this post as a notepad lol.
    -=Edit=-

200GB hdd
    512 ram
    Dvd-Burner (already have)
    Usb Hub (already have)
    GPS
    Bluetooth (already have)
    Soundcard (4 Speaker Outputs)
    Wireless Internet (already Have)

Needed:
    Motherboard/Processor/Ram
    Soundcard
    Video Camera
    VideoCard (Composite Out Jacks)
    Powersupply

Ok, I guess I just need to pickout the type of motherboard and processor I want, then add up the power consumption and choose a powersupply that will work (looking at Opus). Im typing this off the top of my head so more than likely I left something out being that im doing like 4 things at once here. I didnt list my screen because I'm not too fond of people flaming my choices lol (hint hint- on a budget so the screen is neither VGA or Touchscreen, however I know what it is capable of because I have hooked it up to a pc already and it satisfied me, so lets pretend like the screen IS a vga but not touchscreen lol ) Any suggestions/recommendations?

Originally posted by QuickSilver2005 View Post
    Im now ready to begin planning what I want my carpc to do. I know I want it to have Bluetooth, GPS, and a nice Soundcard (preferably one with 4 speaker outputs if possible). I may not ever use it but I want a dvd-burner in it as well. I will have it setup for wireless internet. A usb hub will be necessary as well for what I'm wanting to do. I don't believe it will need much power except for maybe the Dvd burning. Im gonna want 512 of ram and a 60 gig hdd at least more than likely Ill get a hdd from work like a 120gb or so possibly 200gb so i can store tons of music and video. The main things it will be used for are music, cellphone usage, video, internet, and gps in that order. So Lets see, with that said Ill break it down to see what I want so far....

-=Edit=-
    I just remembered I want to add a video camera as well so i can look at the screen and see the road aead of me, not for driving or anything but for cool effect, we have alot of deer down here that run out in the roads, if in the case I hit one (heaven forbid) and my brushguard took care of it, a video would go along nicely with the story, Plus the cool-factor of having a camera on the road like that.

Now I just remebered I will need a video out as well, anything that will convert over to composite will work. Im using this post as a notepad lol.
    -=Edit=-

200GB hdd
    512 ram
    Dvd-Burner (already have)
    Usb Hub (already have)
    GPS
    Bluetooth (already have)
    Soundcard (4 Speaker Outputs)
    Wireless Internet (already Have)

Needed:
    Motherboard/Processor/Ram
    Soundcard
    Video Camera
    VideoCard (Composite Out Jacks)
    Powersupply

Ok, I guess I just need to pickout the type of motherboard and processor I want, then add up the power consumption and choose a powersupply that will work (looking at Opus). Im typing this off the top of my head so more than likely I left something out being that im doing like 4 things at once here. I didnt list my screen because I'm not too fond of people flaming my choices lol (hint hint- on a budget so the screen is neither VGA or Touchscreen, however I know what it is capable of because I have hooked it up to a pc already and it satisfied me, so lets pretend like the screen IS a vga but not touchscreen lol ) Any suggestions/recommendations?
    1. why the hell would you want a video of yourself hitting a deer? thats plain disgusting, and i think you should seek medical help

2. to add that video camera is simple, usb webcam

3. video out? a lot of video cards are capable of RCA video out, if the mobo you want doesnt have video out, you can get video cards/usb options to solve that problem

and with as broad questions as what mobo/soundcard/videocard to get, prepare to get flamed by SOMEONE, not me, 'cause im not like that anymore

but it all really depends on the budget, what you want, and what you have access to, it doesnt really matter, anything will work

Comment

Because I'm plain disgusting (actuallly insurance purposes, it's a fistfight to deal with the company sometimes, but the brushguard should just bump it out of the way), I escaped

Apparently thats what I left out, I meant to include that my friend likes MSI or whatever but then again he is a gamer. Which I'm not sure if that would matter. Now that I think of it, this thread should've prolly been in the newbie section. Oh well, I didn't ask what to get just simply if anyone had a suggestion to start me off on my way, I figured since the majority of the things Im using it for aren't very powerconsuming at least I dont think they are) that something on the low-end would work, but dont wanna get too lowend. I actually considered an AMD athlon but after readin the powersupply post in the faq section I decided it would draw too much power and I prolly didnt need it anyway. Yes I jumped from motherboard to processor. I was searching last night on the net and noticed alot of the cards i stumbled across mainly had S-Video listed, a few had composite out, I was searching New-Egg but I'll broaden my search criteriea. I'll continue searching then post some more whenever I find something I like and see what people's opinions are. I have access to just about everything, my budgets isnt high but i can go high I want, but I d rather keep it mediocre ($500ish) for the computer itself not including screen and accessories. yeah I figured for what i was using it for anything would, the main thing I am concerned about is my powersupply, Ill keep lookin for that as well. When it comes down to it I expected to be flamed already lol, Ive done lots an dlots of reading on here and have seen some people state what they would like to have and have it narrowed down to like 2 choices and then someone flame them, its rediculous. I elab more on it later, off to work. Thanx in advance.

Comment

rofl, ur not kidding about the flamage

but anyway

the mobo to get isnt that important, any will work, a lot of people on this forum go for the VIA mobos, they come with mobo/processor combined, you can get 1.3ghz processors, which are fast enough for video/mp3/gps (maybe not all at the same time mind you) and most of these boards range from 200-$400, then add the ram, and u got urself $500!

Comment

Well I ordered the parts and have it running right now, Im using a desktop powersupply for now until I build a case then I'll get into the car powersupply. I went with this setup:

asus;sempron-3100-754
          ASUS K8U-X (8x AGP - DDR400 - 6 Channel Audio - 8 USB2.0 - LAN - ATX)
          Atlas Precision Brand - 512MB PC3200 DDR (Single Module)
          ATI Radeon 9250 128MB Video Card - AGP 8X
          XP Professional
          120GB Seagate
          Pioneer DVD+-RW

I have it running right next to me, I need to build a case now, thinking along the lines of plexiglass and blue lights (I think it will look neat in a blue truck). I've changed the Windows loading logo up using a tutorial I found somewhere on this site as well as the logon screen. I guess now I can design a case while I'm transferring music and video over to it.

Comment

Working...
          X