Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAB Options?

Hi All,

I'm just building my first car PC and am looking for a DAB solution (for use in the UK). Wondered if anyone had anything they could suggest in this area? So far I've only found 1 solution - a Maplin USB DAB radio - but presumably this would need a dedicated aerial.

Has anyone in the UK used one of these in a car PC yet?

Thanks all!

Have you got this sorted yet?

I have exactly the same dilemma, even down to the fact that this is my first carputer also in an FTO!

Have you tried with a standard PCI radio card?

I listen to the radio quite a bit, but don't want any ugly aerials all over the place, so I would be interested to see what other people have done.

Comment

Hi,

Nice to know someone else is trying an FTO installation too! I guess we should compare notes! I'm at the point of starting to actually put bits in to the car - had all of it working on the bench so far, so I'll be posting some pics soon.

On the DAB options front - this is my current plan:

- Buy an Avermedia USB FM radio (on order) (obviuolsy NOT DAB but at least I'd have a radio in low/no signal areas etc.)
      - Use a USB DVB-T USB stick (already got it) for the DAB - it's basically a freeview box in a stick and can therefore pick up digital radio as well. Needs a special (amplified) antenna though - haven't got that yet but hoping to get one in the next few days.

When I have it up and running I'll let you know what happens!

Cheers

P.S Sorry - forgot to say - I did consider a PCI radio card but don't really have room for it in the case I'm using. Need to fit the whole base unit in the armrest! (Where the CD changer usually is)

Comment

Originally posted by Bradders View Post
        Hi,

Nice to know someone else is trying an FTO installation too! I guess we should compare notes! I'm at the point of starting to actually put bits in to the car - had all of it working on the bench so far, so I'll be posting some pics soon.

On the DAB options front - this is my current plan:

- Buy an Avermedia USB FM radio (on order) (obviuolsy NOT DAB but at least I'd have a radio in low/no signal areas etc.)
        - Use a USB DVB-T USB stick (already got it) for the DAB - it's basically a freeview box in a stick and can therefore pick up digital radio as well. Needs a special (amplified) antenna though - haven't got that yet but hoping to get one in the next few days.

When I have it up and running I'll let you know what happens!

Cheers

P.S Sorry - forgot to say - I did consider a PCI radio card but don't really have room for it in the case I'm using. Need to fit the whole base unit in the armrest! (Where the CD changer usually is)
        Have you got all of this sorted now, Bradders?

How are you progressing? What screen are you using?

Comment

Dab

Use a USB DVB-T USB stick (already got it) for the DAB - it's basically a freeview box in a stick and can therefore pick up digital radio as well. Needs a special (amplified) antenna though - haven't got that yet but hoping to get one in the next few days.

This isn't going to give you DAB but the Freeview radio services instead.
          DAB was designed from the ground up as a single channel network for mobile use and employs frequencies in Band III. The single channel concept means that retuning is not necessary as you move from one transmitter to the next.

Freeview (DVB-T) on the other hand is designed for static video and audio applications and employs many different channels amd Bands IV & V. It will at best give only marginally acceptable results in a car and will require retuning on longer journies.

I'm using a DAB headunit from Maplin (now sadly no longer available) which works fine with an internally mounted windscreen antenna. The only problem is that there's so much RFI coming from the PC that I can't use the DAB when the PC is on except when very close to a transmitter.

Graham

Comment

Haven't got this up and running yet, interested to read graham's post above - sounds like it's going to be a bit trickier than I thought....

I'm concentrating on the mods to the centre console at the moment - photos to appear here soon!

The screen I'm using is an ex-audio model which got from e-bay - there are several examples/references to it on the forums if you do a search.

I also found a really impressive FTO install that someone had done (Vacheron) - have a look at http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41287 - very impressive!

Bradders

Comment

Thanks for the tip-off Graham - At least I can set realistic expectiations now!

Looks like a dedicated DAB stick or radio unit maybe the way to go....

Have you tried screening your PC? Is the interference conductive (i.e. goiong down the cables) or radiated? (i.e. like the interference you get from pylons, e.g.)

Comment

Pleased to have been of help regarding DAB. When there's a signal it works its really well.

Have you tried screening your PC? Is the interference conductive (i.e. goiong down the cables) or radiated? (i.e. like the interference you get from pylons, e.g.)

Not yet. Both the PC and the LCD are radiating. I need to do some serious homework first on earthing requirements, screening techniques etc.

Tips anyone?

Graham

Comment

Working...
                X