power switch, can it be by-passed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power switch, can it be by-passed

is there a way to get the laptop, or a laptop for that matter. to come on when power is plugged in, Im guessing its a atx type of switch so I cant hard wire it to alway stay on. basicly if I turn off the car I have to hit the power button when turnning it back on. that is if the laptop battery is dead, and it didnt hold a chage. any thought ideas.
    UMPC built in to dash.

Winamp, game emulators, Touchpad built in to car, DVD player built in to dash, GPS gamrmin moble pc. IR remote for use of a remote control. ps2 supper mini keyboard for when needed.

if its a switch... it can be bypassed
    2001 PT Cruiser "BLK ICE"
    http://www.cobaltcarpc.com

Comment

hmmmmm

hmmm, guess yor right, to the scamitics we go.
      UMPC built in to dash.

Winamp, game emulators, Touchpad built in to car, DVD player built in to dash, GPS gamrmin moble pc. IR remote for use of a remote control. ps2 supper mini keyboard for when needed.

Comment

you just want it to automatically come on when you start your car?

just get a relay, hook up one wire from the power switch on the laptop to one of the sides of the relay and then hook the other wire to the other side, hook up a ground wire also to the grounding terminal. then for the final connection run a wire from keyed power (off the fuse panel is the easiest way) to the trigger on the relay. that way whenever u turn the ignition on it'll trip the relay and then the mobo will think u have just pressed the button seen as most power buttons are momentary switches.

[edit]
        hrm...maybe that made no sense to your setup!
        uhm...how is it hooked up in the car?
        writing c++ crap for the past 6 hours fries one's brain
        [/edit]

1997 Jeep Wrangler Rugged Waves

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

ok

well I dont know what a mobo is but your answer is basicly what I will attemp. I have a laptop basicly with a atx type of switch, one press its on, 6 second press its off. butIm only worried about the on function. So I wont need a curit to stay on for 6 second. bacily the relay would do the trick, but Im trying not to have to open the laptop again. but that may be the only way.
          UMPC built in to dash.

Comment

yeah i see what u r doing now!
            hehe
            you will have to open up the laptop and just hard wire in some wires from a relay to the switch circuit, but the idea i stated would do the trick i'm pretty sure

1997 Jeep Wrangler Rugged Waves

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

agreed..
              UMPC built in to dash.

Comment

Before you open your laptop again and risk killing some kittens try this:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...8283#post48283

Might or might not work for you. Seems like your laptop works somehow differently but it's worth trying.

Comment

Re: ok

Originally posted by S_K_U_N_X
                  well I dont know what a mobo is
                  Mobo - Motherboard - MB
                  And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
                  www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
                  Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

hmmmm

good point. never though of it. the bios may support it. thanx

and mobo=mother boards duh. ok thanx angain.
                    UMPC built in to dash.

Comment

Working...
                    X