Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woops! Car electrical problem..... I NEED HELP!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woops! Car electrical problem..... I NEED HELP!!

Hey everybody, I'm back from a long summer. I got my shutdown controller completed and it's pretty sweet. It displays to a 16 x 2 character display which I mounted into the dash that displays loading and shutdown sequences, temperature sensor readings, and has menu options for startup and shutdown delays, and temp F or C selection, all selectable from the dashboard. I have lots of pictures that I will upload with a full write up, schematic, and code. I also reworked my dash. I was setting up to do a video of the system last night for you all and........woops!.

POW!!! I accidentally shorted the continuous power to my radio and ground. So I need your help. The car was on when this happened. Now, when the car is off the keyless entry doesn't function, the power lock buttons don't work, the "key in ignition with door open" does not work, when I turn the key to the first position.....nothing happens. Not until I turn the key to the second position does the instrument panel power up and then the door locks work. The radio does not work regardless. When the car is on everything but the radio seem to function.

The dome lights and lights work at all times.

All of the fuses are fine. Believe me I checked a lot of the twice.

Does anyone have any clue what I can do to fix this mess?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated
    May all your dreams come true.....unless your dreams are nightmares ~ L.S.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67759

burnt wires in a wire harness somewhere? I've seen problems like this. i even saw smoke come out of a wire harness and never found the wire that burnt. You'd think a fuse would have blown if wired properly. I know you checked and double checked, but could a fuse have blown w/o you seeing it? i'd take a continutity test to the proper fuses.
    Progress - VIA EPIA SP8000 | 120 Opus Power Supply & Case | 1GB Ram | 120GB 2.5" Hard Drive | Bluetooth 2.0 | GPRS/3G | Wifi | Road Runner/LSX 2.0 (waiting for a day skin for 3.0) | iGuidance 4.0 | Lilliput 7"

Comment

Originally posted by warnockm View Post
      burnt wires in a wire harness somewhere? I've seen problems like this. i even saw smoke come out of a wire harness and never found the wire that burnt. You'd think a fuse would have blown if wired properly. I know you checked and double checked, but could a fuse have blown w/o you seeing it? i'd take a continutity test to the proper fuses.
      WHS. Check EVERY FUSE. Don't forget that there are probably fuses in the engine bay as well. Also, you may have burnt out a fusible link, which is also VERY hard to find.

Do you have a service manual for your car. The best thing would be to trace the power wires to see if/when/where they meet for the other devices that are having issue. Have you checked the voltages on the wiring harness for the things that are not working. Perhaps there is an internal fuse on the radio that was blown, or maybe the Radio is toast. It is possible that the "accessory" wire to the radio and the locks has burnt. It is possible you effed up the a module. Sometimes, the door lock and the radio are connected, so that you can have power till door open, and things like that. There could be a burnt wire/popped fuse in that circuit.

Unfortunately, tracking down something like this IS NOT EASY.

Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Man!, couldn't you have said something like, "Hold your breath, press the preset 3 button, honk the horn and tap on the break, at the same time three times in a row." or something. And I don't ever want to hear "effed up module" again, ok.

Thanks for your guys' help. Looks like I have my searching work cut out for me. I'm thinking it's not a burnt wire because it was only shorted instantaneously and then opened again. I'll keep lookin.

any other suggestions are welcome.

thanks again.

Comment

I just found it. It was a fuse that I pulled last night and looked right at. Granted, it was 2 in the morning. Now you can see why I was so confused. I thought to myself last night, "it has to be a fuse", I was so stumped.

Moral: By all means, stay up all night working on your projects. But don't expect your brain to be with you.

Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by LUWE SYGABU View Post
            I just found it. It was a fuse that I pulled last night and looked right at. Granted, it was 2 in the morning. Now you can see why I was so confused. I thought to myself last night, "it has to be a fuse", I was so stumped.

Moral: By all means, stay up all night working on your projects. But don't expect your brain to be with you.

Cool, lucky dog.

Could have been much worse. Remember, just like working all night is not good when trouble shooting, it is not good for doing the work. Mistakes, such as these, tend to happen more frequently.

Michael
            ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by LUWE SYGABU View Post

You know when I started reading this thread I meant to ask you If you had checked the fuses by testing them or by looking at them. So, the lesson here is
              Always TEST the damn fuses!
              Anyway, I'm glad it's OK.

Comment

Working...
              X