Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a car pc

Hey guys this may sound like a noob but i have a couple questions
    I want to make a carpc but i dont want to use any of the stuff like opus power supply
    i was wondering if i could use a 300watt power inverter and hook it up to the battery
    then pop a laptop in the back with the charger plugged into the inverter
    then use a 6-10ft cable for the lilliput in the front
    and then plug it into the dc (splicing it)
    do u think i will have any problems doing this (aka draining the battery or something else)
    do u think this will work, also i want to hook up everything to the radio so i can play mp3 and dvds throught the car system
    i have a bmw325i, a old acer laptop (1.8ghz, 512mb, 80gb with wireless lan), and a usb gps receiver
    do u guys think it will work or not cause i dont want to mess up the car
    thanks
    ku

Originally posted by ku5165 View Post
    I want to make a carpc but i dont want to use any of the stuff like opus power supply
    i was wondering if i could use a 300watt power inverter and hook it up to the battery
    do u think i will have any problems doing this (aka draining the battery or something else)
    do u think this will work, also i want to hook up everything to the radio so i can play mp3 and dvds throught the car system
    i have a bmw325i, a old acer laptop (1.8ghz, 512mb, 80gb with wireless lan), and a usb gps receiver
    thanks
    ku
    Welcome,

Read the FAQ section, all your answers are there. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by ku5165 View Post
      thanks
      ku
      1. Please use some punctuation. It is very difficult to read on the first try without periods, commas and other important concepts.

2. Read the FAQ. Most of these answers are covered there.

3. Yes, that will work. It won't work well and will probably discourage you from this whole carpc hobby. You are trying to do it on the cheap, and you will ultimately be disappointed with the effort (IMHO). The most time/effort will be on integrating the screen. Once you get that integrated, the rest of the stuff is easy.

4. If you don't remember to shut your laptop down all the time, yes, your battery will get drained. Although if the laptop is set to hibernate after so long, you'll get away with about a week or so of not running the car before you'll kill the battery.

Good luck. If you're using the laptop as a test case, that's a good plan. Otherwise, I don't think a laptop makes a very good permanent carpc. There are others who will disagree, but I'm sure you'll be fine.
      My Worklog

Comment

thanks guys
        im using this one to model and then i will use a real car pc
        thanks
        ku

Comment

wtf do u need a 300Watt power inverter for when you could just buy a generic cig lighter lap top charger? seems much easier and cheaper to me. 300watt inverter is overkill. think!
          2005 Nissan Xtrail
          DFI 855GME-MGF - Celeron M 1.4GHz - 256Mb RAM - 200Gb SATA HDD - OPUS 150w - Xenarc 700TSV

worklog

Comment

Working...
          X