Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible power problem??

problem
    When I try to plug my 3 usb items(gps reciever, external cd thingy, touchscreen) into my computer only 2 will work. When i plug the 3rd in it says something about an unrecignized device, but when i unplug two and re-plug any of the ones i just pulled out back in the device works.

example: I plug all 3 items in in this order - touchscreen, cd, gps. Once i plug in the 3rd one(gps) it says the unrecignized device message. So i unplug 2 things in this order - cd, gps. Then i plug the gps back in and it works just fine(no unrecognized device message).

This occurs no matter what order i plug them.

things plugged into the computer when this happens
    -mouse
    -touchscreen(vga)
    -sound(green plug, i don't know what green stands for but thats the one that works)
    -mouse(ps2)
    -gps(usb)
    -external cd(usb)
    -touchscreen(usb)

things i've done to try and fix it
    to start with my mobo only had 2 usb ports, so i had to go buy an extra usb thing and plug it into the 'extra usb' slot on the mobo(i actually put 2 extra usb plugs in it, so one us unused).

after that i started getting this message as i plugged 3 things in.

my next idea was that maybe my psu(m1atx 90w) wasn't good enough. I thought maybe with everything plugged in it needed more than 90w, so i got the 160w m2atx. I then tried plugging things in and once again only 2 things worked. A few places on the internet said to go into device manager and under USB hub ROOT(or something like that) to uncheck the "allow computer to turn off device for power" under the Power Management tab.... so i did that and it didn't work. please help =).

Originally posted by bobthebear View Post
    problem
    When I try to plug my 3 usb items(gps reciever, external cd thingy, touchscreen) into my computer only 2 will work. When i plug the 3rd in it says something about an unrecignized device, but when i unplug two and re-plug any of the ones i just pulled out back in the device works.

example: I plug all 3 items in in this order - touchscreen, cd, gps. Once i plug in the 3rd one(gps) it says the unrecignized device message. So i unplug 2 things in this order - cd, gps. Then i plug the gps back in and it works just fine(no unrecognized device message).

This occurs no matter what order i plug them.

things plugged into the computer when this happens
    -mouse
    -touchscreen(vga)
    -sound(green plug, i don't know what green stands for but thats the one that works)
    -mouse(ps2)
    -gps(usb)
    -external cd(usb)
    -touchscreen(usb)

things i've done to try and fix it
    to start with my mobo only had 2 usb ports, so i had to go buy an extra usb thing and plug it into the 'extra usb' slot on the mobo(i actually put 2 extra usb plugs in it, so one us unused).

after that i started getting this message as i plugged 3 things in.

my next idea was that maybe my psu(m1atx 90w) wasn't good enough. I thought maybe with everything plugged in it needed more than 90w, so i got the 160w m2atx. I then tried plugging things in and once again only 2 things worked. A few places on the internet said to go into device manager and under USB hub ROOT(or something like that) to uncheck the "allow computer to turn off device for power" under the Power Management tab.... so i did that and it didn't work. please help =).
    What OS and what Motherboard. And please, don't refer to devices/parts as Things and Thingys, they get offended, and we can't really figure out what a thing or thingy is. Is it a hub? Is it a device? Is it an extension cable?

Are you using a HUB. Did you install several additional ports that are connected to MB USB headers? How many total. Are you sure that you have connected them correctly? If using a HUB, is it powered. Are you plugging everything into the HUB. Do you have other devices connected to the USB connector from the MB? Have you tried to plug the third USB into another USB port on the MB, instead of the HUB, if you are using a HUB? What happens?

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx View Post
      What OS and what Motherboard. And please, don't refer to devices/parts as Things and Thingys, they get offended, and we can't really figure out what a thing or thingy is. Is it a hub? Is it a device? Is it an extension cable?

Are you using a HUB. Did you install several additional ports that are connected to MB USB headers? How many total. Are you sure that you have connected them correctly? If using a HUB, is it powered. Are you plugging everything into the HUB. Do you have other devices connected to the USB connector from the MB? Have you tried to plug the third USB into another USB port on the MB, instead of the HUB, if you are using a HUB? What happens?

Michael
      Motherboard: VIA EPIA M10000 Mini-ITX Mainboard
      CD Thingy: ok its actually a Slot Load CD Tray... so its a device.

I don't have a usb HUB, originally i tried one but it just didn't work(this was before the new psu). By didn't work i mean nothing worked that i pluged into it, but when i used the hub on my mom's laptop it worked just fine.

there are 2 USB Headers, 1 is actually unused because 2 USB Headers + 2 Built-In USB Ports = 4 USB Ports and i only need 3. I plugged the extra one in just incase i ended up needing it for something(wifi or bluetooth maybe). They are plugged in correctly as I had someone else do it for me. The guy that plugged em in is a computer technition and has some special autority that lets him work on microsoft products legaly. He also fixes my desktop when i break it =).

2 things are plugged into the USB Headers since those work nomatter what is pluged in em.
      1 is plugged into the top USB slot on the motherboard, that is the slot that gives the 'this usb device is not recognized' message. When i use the bottom USB slot on the mobo nothing happens, the message does come up and the device doesn't work.

Comment

They are plugged in correctly as I had someone else do it for me. The guy that plugged em in is a computer technition and has some special autority that lets him work on microsoft products legaly. He also fixes my desktop when i break it =).
        That doesn't PROVE that they were installed correctly.

2 things are plugged into the USB Headers since those work nomatter what is pluged in em.
        There is that word THING again. What 2 things? A pic might help in this situation.

1 is plugged into the top USB slot on the motherboard, that is the slot that gives the 'this usb device is not recognized' message. When i use the bottom USB slot on the mobo nothing happens, the message does come up and the device doesn't work.
        Huh. So, the top one gives the message NO MATTER WHAT IS PLUGGED IN? Does it matter if the other ports have devices connected. And, when you use the bottom port "NOTHING HAPPENS", but the message comes up and the device doesn't work. So, something DOES happen (the message and it doesn't work) or Nothing happens (no message, and no work, or no message, and it does work?)

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx View Post
          That doesn't PROVE that they were installed correctly.

There is that word THING again. What 2 things? A pic might help in this situation.

Huh. So, the top one gives the message NO MATTER WHAT IS PLUGGED IN? Does it matter if the other ports have devices connected. And, when you use the bottom port "NOTHING HAPPENS", but the message comes up and the device doesn't work. So, something DOES happen (the message and it doesn't work) or Nothing happens (no message, and no work, or no message, and it does work?)

Michael
          i can take a picture of the plugs later and you can tell me if they are plugged in right(its about 2:30 here so i can get pictures up around 5:30 -6ish). But since the CD and Touchscreen are plugged into the USB Headers and they work i'm gonna have to say the USB Headers are plugged in correctly. If you want the picture just say so i'll get it up later.

Right now the two 'things' that are plugged into the USB Headers are the Slot Load CD Tray and the Touchscreen. Which means the GPS Reciever is plugged into the top USB Port on the mobo.

When i plug something, lets say the GPS Reciever as thats what it would be right now, into the bottom USB Port on the back of the computer nothing happens. Nothing at all, no message, no work. When i plug it into the top USB Port i get message but no work.

so....
          Top USB Port: message, no work
          Bottom USB Port: no message, no work
          2 USB Headers: anything plugged into either of them works.

to clarify on part, i could have nothing plugged into either of the 2 USB Headers and try to plug lets say the GPS Reciever into the ports built into the mobo and the same thing happens('same thing' refering to right above this paragraph).

Comment

i can take a picture of the plugs later and you can tell me if they are plugged in right(its about 2:30 here so i can get pictures up around 5:30 -6ish). But since the CD and Touchscreen are plugged into the USB Headers and they work i'm gonna have to say the USB Headers are plugged in correctly. If you want the picture just say so i'll get it up later.

Right now the two 'things' that are plugged into the USB Headers are the Slot Load CD Tray and the Touchscreen. Which means the GPS Reciever is plugged into the top USB Port on the mobo.

When i plug something, lets say the GPS Reciever as thats what it would be right now, into the bottom USB Port on the back of the computer nothing happens. Nothing at all, no message, no work. When i plug it into the top USB Port i get message but no work.

so....
            Top USB Port: message, no work
            Bottom USB Port: no message, no work
            2 USB Headers: anything plugged into either of them works.

to clarify on part, i could have nothing plugged into either of the 2 USB Headers and try to plug lets say the GPS Reciever into the ports built into the mobo and the same thing happens('same thing' refering to right above this paragraph).
            O.K. There is a problem with the MB. Either the USB ports themselves are damaged (missing pins, bent pins, corrosion, etc..) or the USB controller chip is broken. This is not a power problem, or a conflict of driver issue. It is a Hardware issue with the MB.

Michael

Comment

but the 2 ports built into the mobo originally worked. They started to do this after the USB Headers were installed. Ya i know i forgot to mention this. But they do work if I unplug the USB Headers from the mobo.

Comment

but the 2 ports built into the mobo originally worked. They started to do this after the USB Headers were installed. Ya i know i forgot to mention this. But they do work if I unplug the USB Headers from the mobo.
                Then the extra ports are installed incorrectly, or the USB controller chip is borken.

Those are your only choices.

Michael

Comment

i'll post pictures in about 3 hours... i gotta class to go to =).

Comment

No need for pics. Just check you MB manual and confirm the ports are installed correctly. Pictures won't help any of us know if they are installed correctly.

Time to do some work on your own

Michael

Comment

so what do i do if the USB Controller Chip ends up being broken?

Comment

Do you get a code 10 error in device manager?
                        2001 SS Camaro carputer | My solar dish project/

Comment

Working...
                        X