Doh. Dropped the hard drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doh. Dropped the hard drive

I bought a cheapo HDD enclosure and it felt solid but i picked it up and out popped my seagate sata 300gb #$#!%!#@ hit the floor from like 3 ft off the ground
    it still spins up passes seatools diagnostic and i currently am running a checkdisk on it now to check for any bad sectors

is there anythin else i can do or should i just deal with the wait time and rma this thing also if i rma it and the find nothing they wil likely send the same drive correct?

cliff notes:
    1) are there any other tests i should run
    2) if i have to RMA how do i make sure i dont get the same posssibly tainted drive back?

thanks guys
    .______
    | '_ |__\___
    [(o)|___(o)] XB
    ._________
    | I__I I_I|_\__I
    [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

hell i've dropped plenty of drives. What i've learned from that is if it spins with no 'click' sound ur good
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

well its not clicking but the accessing of the drive is a bit loud not sure if this is just the drive properties or not tho it passed all the tests i threw at it tho
      .______
      | '_ |__\___
      [(o)|___(o)] XB
      ._________
      | I__I I_I|_\__I
      [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Comment

If it passed the tests, I see no reason why you shouldn't be A-OK. Modern hard drives are rated to take quite a few G's of shock when they're not running/powered up. They were designed that way to prevent DOA drives due to shipping damage, mishandling (dropping them from 3 feet ), etc.

Besides, I'm guessing you didn't drop it onto concrete? Carpet or even a wood floor would cushion the blow to some degree. Like Sonicxtacy02 I've also dropped quitea few drives in my time and all but one have lived to tell the tale.
        "It's a blessing . . . and a curse."

Comment

i droped numorus drives before, no problems. though i did have a 4g laptop hard drive that fell of a stool onto concrete and the platters shattered into 1,000 pieces

Comment

Originally posted by compnut21 View Post
            i droped numorus drives before, no problems. though i did have a 4g laptop hard drive that fell of a stool onto concrete and the platters shattered into 1,000 pieces
            And yes he counted every single piece. Truly 1000 pieces, possible 999 to account for human error.
            New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
            New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
            "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

Working...
            X