Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High capacity Car/Home PC?

Hi there,

I have been doing a lot of research online to put together a car pc that can support:

3.5" 500GB HDD
    TV capture/tuner (video in for recording-RCA out/in) capability,
    Bluetooth
    Wireless
    USB 2.0 ports
    Card readers
    Good sound card & video card
    Not too big
    Good mechanical structure (anti-vibration/disturbance) and electrical design (low power consumtion and smart power control)
    Instant boot-up Media player (like Lilliput Car PC ) would be nice

I am planning to use this as a carPC as well as a home pc for media collection. I have no luck so far. All suggestions are greatly appreciated, money is not an issue. Thanks

Welcome to our hobby....

What you want to accomplish is very possible.

Here is a beginner's FAQ that will answer some questions: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78795

Here is a forum of only informational threads that has lots more information: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Be prepared for information overload. There's a lot to absorb.

I also recommend the Show Off Your Project forum to see what others have done. It's an excellent resource for inspiration and ideas for your own project.
    Feel free to start a worklog and take lots of pictures. We always enjoys eeing the progress of others' projects.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

3.5" 500gb hard drive is a big risk in my opinion. I would start with a less expensive HDD and see how it holds up to the harsh life of a CarPC. If it does okay clone it to the 500GB.

Comment

Originally posted by 96TransAm View Post
        3.5" 500gb hard drive is a big risk in my opinion. I would start with a less expensive HDD and see how it holds up to the harsh life of a CarPC. If it does okay clone it to the 500GB.
        good point, thanks

Comment

why?

people have been running high capacity drives for a long time now without any issues.

also:

Good sound card
          not necessary, but you'll have to do a bit of research to figure out why...
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

It probably won't be worth having a TV tuner in the car to do recording. Reception will be lousy.

Trying to get one PC to do the jobs of both Car PC and Home PC will result in compromises in both functions. Better to have a dedicated PC for both. Or maybe a laptop with docking station, that you can move from home to car and back.

Comment

The reason that I want to have the Video In port is to record TV program from TV at home. Is the enclosure that limit the HD size (2.5 or 3.5") or the motherboard? Can I use this VIA EPIA N10000 Nano-ITX Motherboard with 3.5" 500GB HD? Since it has 1 Mini PCI slot spare, I figure I could use that for TV Tuner/Capture card? thanks

Comment

The enclosure is what limits the physical size of the HDD.

Yes, you can use a 3.5" HDD with the NanoITX board.

Is your TV Tuner card a Mini-PCI card or a regular PCI card? Regular PCI cards don't work in miniPCI slots, although I believe you can get an adapter.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                  The enclosure is what limits the physical size of the HDD.

Yes, you can use a 3.5" HDD with the NanoITX board.

Is your TV Tuner card a Mini-PCI card or a regular PCI card? Regular PCI cards don't work in miniPCI slots, although I believe you can get an adapter.

Thank you for your response. I don't have a TV capture card yet, but I assumed that they do have a mini PCI TV capture card. Does anyone know of a similar motherboard but its wireless + bluetooth in it or I have to buy the hardwares separately to add to the motherboard? thanks

Comment

there aren't any motherboards that have wireless and bt built in. You have to purchase that separately.
                    Jan Bennett
                    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

if money is no object i would modify your plan. have two computers but have an eaisly swappable hard drive.that you can share between the two. they have hard drive bays that allow you to do thise easily. (and they are locable too) load your os and everything on the hd and all you have to do is move that back and forth. no messing around with wires or anything
                      New System in progress:
                      M10k
                      Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                      Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                      Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                      Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
                        why?

people have been running high capacity drives for a long time now without any issues.

also:

not necessary, but you'll have to do a bit of research to figure out why...
                        Yes, but some setups don't do as well as others with HDDs..So I would rather see how some old drive I had laying around does, before risking a high dollar drive.

But that's just me.

Comment

i've always wondered if smaller capacity hd's are more stable the high capacity ones.
                          New System in progress:
                          M10k
                          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx View Post
                            i've always wondered if smaller capacity hd's are more stable the high capacity ones.
                            One theory would be a smaller modern drive would have only one platter, which is less mass to turn and less flex.

But, that wasn't the point I was trying to make. If a cheapo HDD dies you know you need to improve your antishock setup for the expensive drive.

Comment

there is no need for antishock anyways... i have my 3.5" bolted horizontally and havent had a problem
                              New System in progress:
                              M10k
                              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Working...
                              X