Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AUX input on Mercedes

Hi all,

I own a 2000 S500. I am trying to connect an iPod. Right now I am using a cassette adapter to play. The sound is good but the deck has a door that does not close completely because of the wire sticking out.

There has got to be a better way! No one seems to know or want to touch it because the system is all fiber optic. I'd like to make an AUX connection and run the wire to one of the storage bins and hook the iPod into it from there.

ANY ideas or opinions appreciated.

You can always try an FM modulator. It connects directly to your antenna input, and brodcasts the signal to a FM frequency. It will give you much better sound quality than a tape adapter.
    http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
    Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

FM removes the low and high ends of the audio spectrum for some reason...if you can live without those then do the FM modulator thing.....

Comment

FM removes the low and high ends of the audio spectrum for some reason...if you can live without those then do the FM modulator thing.....
        That may be true for open air FM, but I get more lows and highs with the FM Modulator + computer, than I get from my CD's in the car.
        Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

i think i may be confused..

you state that the FM modulator + computer combo produces more lows and highs than a CD?

MP3s (I am assuming this is what you play through the PCU) use lossy compression, also in FM there is loss.

It makes no sense that you would get more lows and highs via this combo than a store purchased CD which makes use of all audible frequencies (20-20,000Khz).

(unless you have a low quality CD Player)

Please clear this up for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Maveric
            You can always try an FM modulator. It connects directly to your antenna input, and brodcasts the signal to a FM frequency. It will give you much better sound quality than a tape adapter.
            The modulator is still not the most ideal situation because of the output quality. What I really want is an AUX input. I'd even disconnect the CD changer if I could convert it.

But if I cannot do that, any suggestions on a good FM Modulator?

Comment

Originally posted by ZanGManN
              i think i may be confused..

you state that the FM modulator + computer combo produces more lows and highs than a CD?

In my car it certainly does! All I know is that it sounds better than any CD I have played due to the fact that the audio signal is amplified by the soundcard and I have more sound control via the computer (Winamp - EQ, DFX Soundcard - Environmentals, Bass & Treble adjustment).

MBFiend - It is hard to recommend a FM Mod since some work better in some cars than others. I think some people went over this before, try searching the forum.

Comment

You say its all fiber optic. Does the stereo system have a fiber optic input? If so, RadioShack sells a analog to digital converter for $50 that will convert standard RCA audio to PCM coax and fiber optic digital signals.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam F
                  You say its all fiber optic. Does the stereo system have a fiber optic input? If so, RadioShack sells a analog to digital converter for $50 that will convert standard RCA audio to PCM coax and fiber optic digital signals.
                  That's what I am trying to find out. I cannot find it and the dealer is no help. A couple of friends that do car installs either do not know or don't want to go near it because it is all fiber.

Comment

tape adapter solution

I have the same problem in my benz. The factory system is just not very easily modified, or added on to. I ended up using a tape adapter and running the wire out the back of the head unit. I connected my aux RCA inputs to that wire behind the head unit. Now the door stays shut, and there are no visible wires hanging out anywhere; everything is run behind the scenes. The quality is comparable to the CD changer.

Kevyn

Comment

Modding an MB sound system is tricky. If you installed the iPOD kit in your ride (MB has one), it installs inside of the glove box. On the Mercedes forums I ran across a complete series of photographs that show how to install the iPOD kit.

There didn't seem to be anything "special" about the kit, it's just wire. In fact, if you don't like it in the glove box you could move the plug assembly to somewhere easier to access.

What's really nice about MB's iPOD integration is that it also sticks the playlist from your iPOD on your center display under your speedo. You can also change tracks from the four push-buttons on the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Tishers View Post
                        Modding an MB sound system is tricky. If you installed the iPOD kit in your ride (MB has one), it installs inside of the glove box. On the Mercedes forums I ran across a complete series of photographs that show how to install the iPOD kit.

There didn't seem to be anything "special" about the kit, it's just wire. In fact, if you don't like it in the glove box you could move the plug assembly to somewhere easier to access.

What's really nice about MB's iPOD integration is that it also sticks the playlist from your iPOD on your center display under your speedo. You can also change tracks from the four push-buttons on the steering wheel.
                        Hi. I was looking into the whole iPod integration thing but the thing about it is I really want a carPC. Like the poster above said, you have so many more options to tweak and enhance your sound.

Comment

Hey guys,

I'm wondering the same, I found this .pdf and from what it looks like there is one fiber optic going in and one going out. I'm wondering and hope that toslink would work on the in part. I have yet to get a Mercedes with this head unit but I am playing with the idea if I do get one.

Are there any buttons that can be press to get a pure AUX in or is there some trick to getting the head unit trying to pull info from the CD changer.

Here's the link http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

Comment

Originally posted by gunn234 View Post
                            Hey guys,

I'm wondering the same, I found this .pdf and from what it looks like there is one fiber optic going in and one going out. I'm wondering and hope that toslink would work on the in part. I have yet to get a Mercedes with this head unit but I am playing with the idea if I do get one.

Are there any buttons that can be press to get a pure AUX in or is there some trick to getting the head unit trying to pull info from the CD changer.

Here's the link http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=us
                            Gun, that is VERY encouraging news!!! Please let us know if you discover that the CD Changer interface DOES indeed accept an toslink input! That would be perfect for a carPC mounted in the trunk don't you think?

Comment

Bump!

Comment

Working...
                              X