lexan bonding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lexan bonding

alrighty... so i might be getting some lexan sheets for free from a friend of a friend. yeah i know acrylic is better, but for free i could give a crap, as long as it's clear!!!

anyway, i did a search and i found that i will need to use methylene chloride to bond the sheets together at the edges. that isnt exactly a friendly chemical, from what im told.

so, is this the only thing i can use to bond the lexan together. im sure i can half-*** it with clear silicone caulk, but that would probably look pretty bad. i want to get as close to seamless as i can, so the chemical bonding is what i will probably have to do. definately outside!!!!!

are there any places i can order this junk, or pick it up at a hardware type store... im in the chicago area, so if theres anywhere local that would be awesome.

all help is appreciated

~mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

I just used metal "L" brackets and thought it looked pretty neat. I like the steel with clear-plastic look. I think it might end up being more trouble than it's worth to do what you're thinking.
    Don't Click

Comment

I used some clear two-part epoxy stuff. Dried clear, looked fine, still holding together.

This was on plexiglass, don't know about lexan.
      www.arbybean.com

Comment

Clear plastic expoy should work fine....

Lexan is much liter and stronger than regular plexi, witch is good if you are a clutz like me!!!
        1994 Pontiac Trans Am
        LT1 350 - Fully Built Motor

Comment

Originally posted by GMJArts
          Lexan is much liter and stronger than regular plexi, witch is good if you are a clutz like me!!!
          But lexan (polycarbonate) scratches more easily - so you can't win wither way really

C!
          http://carpc.riposte.net
          I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

Originally posted by C4M

But lexan (polycarbonate) scratches more easily - so you can't win wither way really

C!
            if i get it for free.... i win

hmmmm, get free plastic that will get scratched in trunk....
            buy plastic that will get less scratched in the trunk....
            i figure it is going to get scratched either way, why not get it free!!!

~Mike
            Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
            PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
            2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Originally posted by mp3z24
              if i get it for free.... i win
              You win!

C!
              http://carpc.riposte.net
              I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

some clear coats, sand, buff = no more scratches unless you drop it on the floor

Comment

bonding Lexan

To bond Lexan Use THF tetrahydrofluran

Comment

Working...
                  X