Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nagging Questions

Allrighty.

How, oh how, does one go about connecting the sound output from a computer to an HU?

I want to be able to control the volume level with the HU (see sig for type), but I don't see how to do it. Could I just buy a Cnet cable (Clarion's connecting cables) and splice into it?
    HU: Clarion 9575RZ
    EQ: Clarion 90EQ
    Amps: Dei 1100d and DEI 400
    Front Stage: Morel 6.2 Comp Set
    Subs: 2 IDMAX 12 D4s
    ...and a hell of a lot of MDF, Fiberglass, RAAMAT, and Expanding Foam

To come: 200 MHz Mobo, 30 Gig HDD, Sproggy MK 2.6, LCD?

Can't wait to see this one get ripped apart.
    S
    E
    A
    R
    C
    H

Comment

Yes search - it has all been discussed before.

To summerize, you need to have one of the following:

Tape adapter (not much good for a cd HU... ) - they sound crap
      Head unit with an aux in (aiwa, blaupunkt, pioneer) or know of a hack for you head unit (these are rare!)
      FM Modulator (reasonable sound - simply set a frequency and tune in to it to hear your mp3's)

Basically, the tape unit sucks, the fm modulator sounds alright (as good as radio) and the aux in is sweet!

I can recommend blaupunkt for aux in as they seem to have cheap cables that allow you to do it rather than having to buy a separate input box like with the pioneer. I'm planning to by a blaupunkt for this very reason...

Andrew
      Mediabox Hardware Project
      Current Stage: A complete redesign, although not much happening right now!

Mediabox Software Project
      Status: Writing Sync Software (still) and playing around with interface
      To do: Far too much!

Comment

Sorry that was really dumb - I really should read your post properly next time! If this clarion lead you are talking about is a cd changer lead then you need to check with clarion to see if the head unit will allow you to do this. Otherwise you will have to buy an aux in adapter from somewhere like www.rcainput.com i think.

Comment

Unless any of the following apply, you will not notice a difference between a direct aux-in and an FM modulator:

1. You live (or drive) near radio antennae towers
          2. Your music source is very quiet.
          3. Your ears are so incredibly sensitive that you can hear analog hiss on a CD.

Basically, an FM modulator is as good as a direct aux in except for the fact that it is prone to inmterference by very high powered radio signals. A modulator does not actually "broadcast" anything (as far as I am aware). It sits on the antenna line and pumps the signal directly into your head unit. It even disables the radio input so you get clear, crisp sound. The only time you'll have problems is if a radio signal is so strong that the circuitry in the head unit itself can pick the signals up, which isn't often.

So if you can't get a direct line-in, this is definitely the best way to go instead of finding another head unit.

Comment

This is good news - I had previously been told that fm modulators were terrible. Perhaps I should consider getting one rather than replacing my current head unit! Off to ebay then... With my current tape adapter there is a lot of engine noise. Does an FM modulator include a ground isolator or am I going to have to buy one of these as well?

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

I really didn't feel like searching, so thanks guys.
              HU: Clarion 9575RZ
              EQ: Clarion 90EQ
              Amps: Dei 1100d and DEI 400
              Front Stage: Morel 6.2 Comp Set
              Subs: 2 IDMAX 12 D4s
              ...and a hell of a lot of MDF, Fiberglass, RAAMAT, and Expanding Foam

To come: 200 MHz Mobo, 30 Gig HDD, Sproggy MK 2.6, LCD?

Comment

the thing with fm modulators is that , you have to tune into the band on your radio... which isnt nearly as cool as having an AUX assigned, with the label CarPc or whatever on your head unit

Comment

Working...
                X