Future Technology - Instant Booting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Technology - Instant Booting

Well maybe not instant but as this article compares... its like turning on a tv instead of booting a computer.

The benefits of Magnetic RAM, which looks to be very close to becoming a reality:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/mram.htm

( Market ETA 2003-2004. )
    Josh Karger
    By reading this post you agree to overlook all grammatical, spelling, and typographical errors! ;)

With suspend to ram, I get boot times in the region of 2 seconds. If They could produce a non volatile version of this then I would be pretty pleased - saving electricity as well!
    Mediabox Hardware Project
    Current Stage: A complete redesign, although not much happening right now!

Mediabox Software Project
    Status: Writing Sync Software (still) and playing around with interface
    To do: Far too much!

Comment

Magnetic RAM?

Oh Lord, no...

I thought technology was moving away from magnetic storage because of how unstable it is. Can you imagine if you had to throw out these RAM chips as quickly as you have to throw out floppy disks???

Comment

Is it just me, or does magnetic RAM simply = hard drive.

Perhaps these IBM engineers should work on suspend to disk instead. Each machine should come with a small partition (based on the RAM size) that the BIOS writes the contents of RAM to on shutdown. This partition would be a proprietary filesystem, and would be automatically resized in the event you changed the amount of RAM....Wait a sec, hasen't this been done before?
        Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
        Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
        "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

what about solid state memory (i think this is what the call it?) like smart media cards? It's a bit more expensive but the data lasts a long time and it can be really fast.
          aka Kumaneko
          "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
          Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
          mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
          Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

Well what about this... it's mentioned at the end of the MRAM article... sounds interesting as well, what are some problems/benefits?

http://www.howstuffworks.com/holographic-memory.htm
            Josh Karger
            By reading this post you agree to overlook all grammatical, spelling, and typographical errors! ;)

Comment

A harddrive is magnetic storage, but slow, and dram is fast, but unstable. combine them into a nonvolitile fast solution, and that certainly is something. and this is certianly more relatable to a hard drive and not a floppy drive. and flash memory is quite fast, as well as nonvolitile, but it has a limited life span of write/erase cycles.
              -Nick

Comment

They`ve got to be kidding? Using magnetic ram was dropped decades ago (then call magnetic core memory, using ferrite cores to create the magnetic field), because solid-state memory is far more reliable. Who the hell wants to take a step back?

IBM are clutching at straws with this, just cause they aint that big anymore and they want to be on top again.
                -------------------------------------------
                (=========-) 99% complete
                --------------------------------------------
                AMD K6/2 500 @ 450mhz to keep heat and power usage down, 64Mb, slim CDrom drive, 64mb USB pendrive for MP3 transfer, 10Gb 2.5" drive for MP3, USB>RS232
                All jammed in external CDROM drive case.
                Kenwood KVC-1000r In-Dash LCD. x-10 MouseRemote. Destinator V2 Gps. DC-DC with onboard Shutdown controller.
                ----------------------------------------------

Comment

I get 4-6 second cold boot times right now, I think its only a matter of time until computer speeds approach instant on...

Windows XP
                  Athlon 1600+
                  512 Megs PC2700 DDR CAS2
                  7200 RPM WD Hdd
                  1999 voyager pontoon boat
                  (soon to be computerized)

Comment

Don't worry guys, everything's going optical in a few years anyway.
                    HU: Clarion 9575RZ
                    EQ: Clarion 90EQ
                    Amps: Dei 1100d and DEI 400
                    Front Stage: Morel 6.2 Comp Set
                    Subs: 2 IDMAX 12 D4s
                    ...and a hell of a lot of MDF, Fiberglass, RAAMAT, and Expanding Foam

To come: 200 MHz Mobo, 30 Gig HDD, Sproggy MK 2.6, LCD?

Comment

STR

Do any of you guys that use STR have problems with USB and Serial things that you have connected?
                      Aut cum scuto, aut in scuto

Comment

Seriously, folks, if 2-5 second boots with Suspend-to-RAM/Software Suspend aren't good enough for you, you deserve to wait 6 years for *ahem* "instant-on" (you actually think it'll be out shipping for your PC in '03/04? ha!).
                        digitalswirlee.com

Comment

Originally posted by JupiterX
                          Seriously, folks, if 2-5 second boots with Suspend-to-RAM/Software Suspend aren't good enough for you, you deserve to wait 6 years for *ahem* "instant-on" (you actually think it'll be out shipping for your PC in '03/04? ha!).
                          Id say more like 60 years. Remember that as the hardware progresses the software gets more bloated. My WinXP machine now doesnt boot any faster than a 486 with Win 3.1 does 10 years ago.
                          AMD K6/2 500 @ 450mhz to keep heat and power usage down, 64Mb, slim CDrom drive, 64mb USB pendrive for MP3 transfer, 10Gb 2.5" drive for MP3, USB>RS232
                          Kenwood KVC-1000r In-Dash LCD. x-10 MouseRemote. Destinator V2 Gps. DC-DC with onboard Shutdown controller.

Comment

What kind of hardware are you running? Did you install XP over an existing windows platform? From the few xp installs I have done, a clean xp install on a clean hard drive should give you VERY fast boot times even on mid range systems (I did a celry 633 mhz system that booted in under 12-15 seconds) I would say that you have something wrong with your bios or win xp install...
                            1999 voyager pontoon boat
                            (soon to be computerized)

Comment

Over 500 machines ranging from AMD 500 with 64mb to Athlon 1800XP`s with 256mb ram (I run network support), always with clean installs, the thought of doing an upgrade using MS installers is enough to give me nightmares, as the results are usually horrific.

If you count boot speed as the time it takes to reach a log on screen, id say around 25-30 seconds is normal (ive excluded the time that it takes setting up network connections). As I said, thats not significantly different from a 486dx4 100 running win3.1.

Comment

Working...
                              X