Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple monitors question

hey guys,
    sorry for this question that has prolly been answered but I dont really know what to search for. basically I have a carputer with a screen up front. I want to have 2 screens in the headrests that jus display whats on the front screen. ( i know how to do that part ) I dont know if this is possible but I want is for them to be powered off by default, then have a function built into my skin that can turn each one on or off

furthermore... if they cant be turned on/off with the skin.. would it be possible to have them always on but playing a screensaver until I hit a button on my skin which would activate them to display whatever is on the front screen?

any ideas? or what i should be searching for?

I hate to tell you but you are introducing a whole lot of complexity into the project. It can probably be done with USB actuated relays. But it will be complicated. Look into USB relays.
    Check out the updates. Project 2003 Dakota worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85490

IS JACK BAUER GONNA HAVE TO SMACK A *****?

Comment

I have the opposite of this ATEN device (multiple vga sources to an IR controlled VGA switcher to a single monitor), what you want is a VGA splitter.

http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/vs94a.html

Then use an IR signal, with an IR Blaster, or a standard Media Center Edition Remote/blaster, with a program called HIP. You need to read this thread to get more info.

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/33616.aspx

It's some work, customizing the sequences of events, learning the IR codes from your headrest VGA monitors remote, and then transmitting the IR codes with auto-it, or some hotkeys. The IR blaster LED is tiny, can mount to the headliner or rear window deck.

The IR Blaster for MCE can be found here (don't go for the cheaper $29 one, it's an older version)
      http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4435&CatId=358

91 Stealth RT/TT
      CarPuter: Inspiron 5150 P4 3.0ghz; Built-in WiFi; Deluo GPS; Radio Shark; OBD1; Nostromo Speedpad
      Audio: Audigy 2 NX; Clarion 500.5 amp; 100.2 center channel amp; Kicker Solo-baric L7 10" Sub
      Display: Lilliput 7" Touchscreen

Comment

man thats more complicated than I thought. even after all that it's probably not even that reliable right? But it does like it can be done.

vineet, do you have something like this in your setup?
        also, is this going to draw a lot of power? I want to keep my power draw down, I dont want to have to get a CAP or battery or anything like that.

Comment

This is pretty simple to do.

You just need to have a relay that is hooked up so when it's triggered it applys power to the 2 monitors.

If you have access to a DB25 or even a serial port u can use the pulse from that to turn the relay on.

Can write a simple VB app to send a signal to the serial port which will trigger the monitors to go on.

You just have the relay inbetween the + Positive wire going to the monitors

Pretty simple no need to complicate it.

Im at work so i can't draw u a quick diagram but its pretty simple to do quickly read up on it i believe someone here did the same thing but used it for turning the power off
          CarPC Status:
          GPS: 99%
          Hardware: 99%
          Software: 92%
          Case Install: 99.9%
          Dash Install: 100%
          Car Install: 72%

Comment

It's not really that complicated, it's just not intuitive to learn, but once you get the basics, that bulb pops in your head.

I use HIP and Girder in my home theater, and it's very reliable. I have an RF remote (ATI), and it controls the CRT projector, Onkyo receiver, ATEN/IOgear VGA switcher, PC with MCE, and X10 lights.

The blaster doesn't use more than 100ma of power, I bet the switcher doesn't use more than 1000ma (1amp). I think each vga monitor doesn't pull more than an amp either (9-10 watts). 3-4 amps is nothing to a car setup.

Install HIP, it's free. Get the IR Blaster/MCE kit for $39, and try controlling something simple in your house, like your TV. Once you learn how to do that, it can transpose to the car setup.

You can also use a USB-UIRT blaster, but it's more expensive. It's got a wider range of software and IR support however, and is almost plug and play, no screwing with drivers. I actually have two MCE blasters in the same PC, one with MS drivers, one with burninzeroad's, so that I can use a standard MCE remote if my RF one fails, to at least watch a movie easily. The standard drivered one lets me control my motorola cablebox too for ORB TV streaming.

Learning the IR codes is very simple, just point the remote at the IR blaster, and hold the power button after clicking "learn IR code" in HIP. Save that IR code to a file, and call it with a hotkey. All done in HIP. You don't need Girder.

In your skin, I assume you would make an area = a hotkey, and viola, you get what you want.

91 Stealth RT/TT
            CarPuter: Inspiron 5150 P4 3.0ghz; Built-in WiFi; Deluo GPS; Radio Shark; OBD1; Nostromo Speedpad
            Audio: Audigy 2 NX; Clarion 500.5 amp; 100.2 center channel amp; Kicker Solo-baric L7 10" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by NiN^_^NiN View Post
              This is pretty simple to do.

You just need to have a relay that is hooked up so when it's triggered it applys power to the 2 monitors.

If you have access to a DB25 or even a serial port u can use the pulse from that to turn the relay on.

Can write a simple VB app to send a signal to the serial port which will trigger the monitors to go on.

This is a good way to do it too! If you are handy with soldering, I would do it this way. My projector is all serially controlled, but the remote is what tells it to switch via IR through the PC.

However, you would still need the splitter to watch on three monitors.

91 Stealth RT/TT

Comment

Originally posted by Vineet Singh View Post
                This is a good way to do it too! If you are handy with soldering, I would do it this way. My projector is all serially controlled, but the remote is what tells it to switch via IR through the PC.

However, you would still need the splitter to watch on three monitors.

No need to solder just use crimp connectors they will slide onto the relay pins easily.
                CarPC Status:
                GPS: 99%
                Hardware: 99%
                Software: 92%
                Case Install: 99.9%
                Dash Install: 100%
                Car Install: 72%

Comment

hmm thanks guys... im gonna try it out soon as i get my screens.. im leanin toward fahrenheint 6.5 screens.. ive heard only good things about them.. anything u know that I may not?

Comment

Working...
                  X