New

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New

Hey i know you guys are going to really make fun of me but i have no idea how you guys get this stuff to work. Can someone take the time out to explain this to a person that has no idea what all the fancy talk means and how to get one in my ride. I have a 96 Explorer and I just heard about this so i looked it up. I am really intrested but it makes no sence to me! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

whoa there killer....

have you actually read up on ANYTHING here???

what stuff are you having trouble understanding? do you know what these things are: a car...a computer...mp3 files...? if you answered yes then you know what we are talking about.

who sent you here??? is it a member of the forum... (reaches for whipping cane to beat someone down)... or someone that just stumbled upon this site?

we need a little more ... no a lot more to work with if you are going to come and beg for a spoon fed lesson on mp3car.

do you know how to build a computer? do you know what a computer is? i suggest you dont get into anything until you understand the basics... nothing on here is too complicated.... do some research on the board... read old posts... ask SPECIFIC questions.

no one is going to help unless you are a little less vague.... this is like going into a car mechanics garage and saying... so ive heard cars are pretty cool and my friend told me to come and see you.... please tell me everything you know about cars.... see how this isnt going to get you much help

not trying to be an ***... just trying tobe realistic... plus there are a couple FAQ's floating around in here....

~Mike

edit... on a side note, my stuff is run by a massive bank of gremlins living in the trunk, which produce live music that is piped into my passenger cabin via a complex array of audio transmissive fibers that are arranged all through the cabin, providing me with crystal clear perfect live music with only the occasional gremlin death lowering the fidelity of my music, but i control the number of gremlins by adding new ones (spalsh some water in the trunk) or by killing off a few (open trunk in daylight). i also have a smaller troupe of midget gremlins that are residing in my glovebox, these gremlins act out major hollywood movies which i can view on the "stage" in my dash... they also serve as messengers to the trunk gremlins when i want to put on new music...confused yet???
    actually i have nothing installed yet, but im getting my lazy *** in gear this summer!!!
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

ROFL! First of all you need to know what you want your carputer to do.... Do you want DVD, GPS, or the ability to play video files? Take a look at the MP3Car Examples, and see what you like. Spend a few days just gathering ideas and reading this forum. If you have a question please search the forum first as 99% of the time it has already been asked. Good luck, and welcome!
      http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
      Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

LOL...mp3z24 u are just too funny...especially with the
        who sent you here??? is it a member of the forum... (reaches for whipping cane to beat someone down)... or someone that just stumbled upon this site?
        And Sandman, please make sure u understand all those questions that mp3z24 asked???? All i have to say is this
        1) This project requires Patients and well thought out approach...yes i mean it. Things WILL NOT work out correctly if u do NOT think it through or draw things out!!!
        2) This project requires MONEY if u want to do it right!!!!
        3) Last but not the least, u need a brain + some electrical and computer skills!
        abcd-1
        Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
        You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

1) This project requires Patients
          Actually you can leave the patients at the hospital..

You should keep in mind that patience is of great importance

(I shouldn't nit pick since I'm dyslexic and I'm sure I'll make thousands of errors by the time my posting days come to a close)
          aka Kumaneko
          "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
          Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
          mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
          Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

Sandman,

I agree with what has been said above, except I use small rodents instead of Gremlins.... Their union is easier to deal with.

But for real, what Maveric said is right on. Look at the examples. There is a wealth of great ideas there. I spent 4 weeks just looking at the examples before I even looked at this forum and found the realy great info... Okay actually it took me 4 weeks to notice that link on the bottom of the main screen... and said "Damn, I could have gone here and asked a bunch of stupid questions instead of wasting all this time reading......."

But anyhow:

1) Decide what you want?
            2) Do you have the money to get that? Look here and at places like pricewatch.com and eBay for prices.
            3) Draw out your first guess on a system you want. All the way to electrical hook ups (this adds cost to do it right).
            4) Look at your car and see what reasonable options you have. Can you fit an LCD screen, where will you install the puter? Not in plain view or it will get stolen.
            5) Use your plan to tackel one problem at a time. I did the 12 VDC power supply first. Spent a good month on that, getting the parts and building it.

Stick to your plan, make modifications as needed, and when you get stumped (and you will, I did many times) post a specific question here and you will get pleanty of good suggestions and maybe a stupid one or two from MP3Kid....

A summation of my experience with this. I started from the same point you are back in early Feburary. I had built computers before, I had done some limited circuit building before. I did what I stated above (1 thru 5) and as of last weekend I have a Celeron 700 PC with a 5.6" LCD screen mounted in the dash, it has a custom software interface to play MP3 files, CD's, DVD's, it has a GPS nav system and also a custom car ECM data aquisation system I can use for tuning and buning custom chips for my engine.

It does what I wanted, cost me more than I wanted, taught me a LOT of new things and entertained the hell out of me for the past 5 months. I am kinda sad that it is done....

Guess it is time for version 2.

Just my 2 cents.... sorry for the length.

Comment

It does what I wanted, cost me more than I wanted, taught me a LOT of new things and entertained the hell out of me for the past 5 months. I am kinda sad that it is done....

Guess it is time for version 2.
              And remember.. If you feel your task is complete, it's time to think of what you are going to add on and change. If you can't think of anything... TIME FOR THE NEXT VERSION!!

I initially planned on purchasing my parts over the next few months.. I started my plans the begining of may this year.. I already have 80% of the parts in my possession or on order.. and a whole slew of things I plan to add on as time goes by.

If only my pockets and shipping could keep up with my ideas... I'd be on version 7.6 by now

1) Take your time, do it right, plan meticulously.
              2) Figure out a budget and try to figure out the best way to fit that budget and still meet your goals.
              3) Don't skimp.. If you want something.. and it will not absolutely break you to get it, get it. You'll not regret missing it later on. There's no point in doing something unless you do it right.
              4) As far as 3 goes.. that doesnt mean you need it all at once. You can always add on as you go, just make sure you don't limit yourself by not having the expandability to cover it.
              aka Kumaneko
              "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
              Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
              mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
              Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

not to big note myself (but I will anyway) I fully agree with a point that Charles raised.... you NEED/MUST have experence with PC hardware and a good working knowledge of electricial equipment....

I think most of the members here in the 200+ post count have seen enough questions that make u cringe from people that drum back to the fact that the user is really a little over their head with this stuff..... people that see this stuff, think its cool, really want it without the experence to carry it thru to completion then bash their heads hard when things fail.... seen it plenty of times before..

not to deter anyone, but if you dont know what your doing, it can get VERY costly VERY quickly.... and end in tears.

lots of reseach, study, reading and understanding is a key. Knowledge is power kiddies!
                Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

Hey Cenwesi, check you number of posts!!

LEEEEEEEEET DOOOD HAxX0R!!

(dont post anymore now, u'll ruin it all!)
                  -
                  My cars
                  -

Comment

What magnetik said. I'm a newbie here, but I have quite a bit of experience with both computers and automotive electronics.

You're building a PC, often in a non-standard setup, that interfaces with your vehicle's electronics. The more non-standard stuff you want to do, the more you're going to have to know. You can learn everything you need to know, especially with all the info on the web, but it will take time and money. Less of one means more of the other (the magic smoke inside electronics that makes them work is quite expensive, or do LOTS of reading).

The biggest thing is knowing what you're getting into...

Comment

damn, now you tell me!!!

shaun
                      It smells a bit funky in here!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShinkunoNamida

Actually you can leave the patients at the hospital..

You should keep in mind that patience is of great importance

(I shouldn't nit pick since I'm dyslexic and I'm sure I'll make thousands of errors by the time my posting days come to a close)
                        Altho if you dont have patience, you could end up as a patient Sorry, I couldn't resist, but wiring your battery up can be hazardous.
                        -Nick

Comment

Originally posted by cenwesi
                          Last but not the least, u need a brain + some electrical and computer skills!
                          Oh **** I'm in trouble.
                          And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
                          www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
                          Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

Oh yeah..

Sandman,

If you're name is cenweski, then you somehow can command others to do all the searching for items/prices for you. I've tried to pretend that I'm cenweski (aka abcd), so that I can have others mindlessly get me information, so that I can work on my software.

It never works, oh well. :/ So the best thing on any forum is the "search" button usually at the top right of the browser window, or, like I said, if you're name is cenweski, you can just have others autonomously find you the information that you need.

One love, power to the people.
                            replicant
                            Audi A4 (flickr pics)

Comment

stop smoking crack defsquad...

Originally posted by defsquad
                              Sandman,

If you're name is cenweski, then you somehow can command others to do all the searching for items/prices for you. I've tried to pretend that I'm cenweski (aka abcd), so that I can have others mindlessly get me information, so that I can work on my software.

It never works, oh well. :/ So the best thing on any forum is the "search" button usually at the top right of the browser window, or, like I said, if you're name is cenweski, you can just have others autonomously find you the information that you need.

One love, power to the people.
                              ummm what????

its a lot different when you ask a specific question like cenwesi....specific questions will give you good answers and replies
                              questions like this one are usually met with smart *** comments and repeated requests to actually search for some information.

when you ask a specific question, people are more likely to help you because you have given them information to start out with. also, many times, someone has already dealt with the situation and can help, or there are others that are wondering the same thing..

please dont bash cenwesi... he has made great efforts to provide the mp3car community with a superb piece of software and well he hasnt asked for a dime for it... and if he does want $$ for his efforts, i can guarantee people will pay it since he has put in so much of his time to make a program with so much potential and compatability...

~mike
                              Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
                              PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
                              2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Working...
                              X