12v 5a power!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v 5a power!

I found a 12v 5a power adapter at rat shack .. I ordered that ITX box with the C3 800 chip.. i figure if that doesn't work out i can always use it for a multimedia box in my house. I was planning on making something like that anyway
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Cost, part number?

Comment

it was $6.99 .. it's just a regular old cigarette lighter adapter

I won't be home for much of the weekend but if i get a chance i'll post it, if not then monday or tuesday i promise!
      aka Kumaneko
      mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation

Comment

part number: 270-1558
        aka Kumaneko

Comment

UNREGULATED

Be carefull ShinkunoNamida, this adapter is unregulated! Using this, you will still be passing your car's 12V straight to your PC, not a "clean" 12V. The reason RadioShack claims it's a 5A adapter is that it has a 5A fuse, so if you try to draw more than 5V through it the fuse will blow.

Comment

Yeah.. I actually realized that.. but in the rush I kind of just got it x.x

It's been a really busy week and I was to radio shack about 6 times in 3 days (for different reasons). I saw it and I just grabbed it.

the mini-itx powersupply is only 4.6 or so.. i'm not sure how I'm going to power it just yet i suppose.
            aka Kumaneko

Comment

Has anybody found a 12V 5A DC-DC supply for this case yet???

The highest I've found is 1800mA. Would it be ok to wire 3 of thse in parrallel??

I've also thought of stepping up to 30V using something like the VF38R from Maplin and then using an LM2677 to regulate it back down to 12V.

Is the 5A DC-DC worth pursuing, or shall I settle for an inverter?
              Any thoughts???

Comment

you can get llaptop car adapters but they are around 50-70
                which is a bit pricey considering you have to add the cost of the silly case

im told the cupid psu dont have much oomph either...cant remember who said it htough.

i think ill just get a m atx or itx psu and get a 20 inverter...i think its just easier!

as long as i have everything grounded it should work ok.

Comment

I'll be ordering my VIA Eden board (the 800Mhz) tomorrow, and I'm planning to order me one of these:

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/produc...line_12Vps.htm

Price is ~$110USD + freight

Only thing that I'm concerned about is heat - they're not terribly efficient - but I'll ask questions about that in another thread.

C!
                  http://carpc.riposte.net
                  I reserve all rights in connection to each post I author, without exception.

Comment

How about the Laptop DC-DC power supplies? There are tons of them on Ebay, but they only go down to 15V... but it should definitely have enough Amperage. Do you think the itx power supply will be able to handle 15v input?
                    Free entrance to heaven? WOW! I DUN BELIEVE! JC!

Comment

I may be tempted to find out soon, i'm getting close to getting this thing together and i don't want to have to keep using an inverter for power.
                      aka Kumaneko

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but could someone explain why you couldn't simply hook up one of mastero's atx controllers with switched 12V output directly to the cubid's PS? Would the amperage simply fry the power supply?

Comment

Working...
                        X