Slot DVD.....Please READ and respond

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slot DVD.....Please READ and respond

Ok as most of you might have known, i have the same type slot DVD that inline has...

The problem is the damn adapter sticks out...Way out....
    Anyway i wanted to know if ANYONE, anyone have any info on where we can get adapter that will flush. I want to atleast use this DVD on my new setup. The one that i currently have is not a slot DVD but works fine...for more pics on mine please visit the ftp site ftp://pictures[email protected]/the_sbc/

Please respond if u have any info...Thanks.
    abcd-1
    Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
    You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Hi,
    if (when) I get one I was planning planning to make my own cable, sothat I don't need an adapter, althought I'll have to rely on the kindness of all of you to make me a clear photo to trace the print...
    If at first you don't succeed.........
    destroy all evidence you tried

for info on t6369c LCD or Presslab's powersupply check:
    http://www.namms.tk <=updated!!

Comment

Do you have lets say slim DVD + the adapter...if you do, just take a look at that connector...you will find out REALLY quick that it wont be easy to create. Infact take a look at this pic

see that small (black) connector and those tinny silver things above it... that is what u will have to deal with....
      abcd-1

Comment

damnit...y is everyone just looking and not responding
        abcd-1

Comment

is that a 50 pin connector... the one that looks like a hirose connector?

i know where you can get the 40 pin cables for laptop HD to standard IDE, but im still looking for the ones that you are showing...

please try and count the pins on the tiny black connector....

~mike
          Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
          PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
          2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

what is the model information for those slotload drives...

brand
            model
            etc

do you know where they came from....

perhaps you can try to hack somehting from an old laptop (if you know what model those drives came from)

post some more info on the drive so i can know what to look for...

~mike

Comment

it is the same as this one...and yes, i believe it is 50pin
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2022461782
              abcd-1

Comment

Originally posted by mp3z24
                what is the model information for those slotload drives...

brand
                model
                etc

do you know where they came from....

perhaps you can try to hack somehting from an old laptop (if you know what model those drives came from)

post some more info on the drive so i can know what to look for...

~mike

you cant hack an old notebook because it will stick out just the same.

if anyone can come up with a blank pcb, it can be done. I have the pinouts. I just cant solder something that small. *surface mount* I talked to JAE, you need to have a reseller license to order from them.

if you can get some place to solder that to a blank pcb you can make your own adapter. finding a blank pcb with that small of leads is what we need to do

Comment

I was just wondering if the 6X DVD drive for iMAC is the same as the one you got abcd... none of the ebay auctions I saw show a pic of the back of the unit. I assume it is the same....
                  damm apple. All PC notebook drives have the connector on the right side of the drive... why does apple gotta put em on the left?? hehe

Steve Case needs a lollypop for doing that.

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE:
                  I did some research on who makes these slot dvd drives and here is my list.

DVD-ROM
                  manufacturer model size connector misc DVD speed

Fujitsu/COMPAQ? CP004364 17mm JAE SLOT LOAD 8X DVD
                  Fujitsu/COMPAQ? CP004365 17mm JAE SLOT LOAD 8X DVD
                  PANASONIC/MATSU****A SR-8185-B 17mm JAE SLOT LOAD 6X DVD
                  PANASONIC/MATSU****A SR-8186-B 17mm JAE SLOT LOAD 6X DVD
                  PANASONIC/MATSU****A SR-8185-C 17mm JAE SLOT LOAD 6X DVD
                  PANASONIC/MATSU****A CDR-1760L 17mm JAE SLOT LOAD 32X (not DVD)
                  PANASONIC/MATSU****A CW-8121-B 17mm JAE SLOT LOAD 8X/8X/32X/8X (CDRW/DVD combo)

MATSU****A DRIVES:
                  http://www.mke.panasonic.co.jp/en/device/de_01.htm

just my $0.02
                  04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

Hey guys,
                    I have a same (or similar) dvd drive and adapter and had the same problem. I got some of those connectors from a US reseller (JAE is in Japan). I got them to ship me some sample connectors. They actually had to order the samples from JAE in Japan (took about a month) since they didnt keep any in stock. I got several of both male and female and am planning on trying to make a small jumper cable to go between the dvd drive and the adapter board...but the pins are really freakin small. I think im gonna try to use an 80-pin IDE cable for the wires and get to it when i have several hours free...100 tiny connections is gonna take a while. If this looks to be impossible, I may try my hand at making a circuit board or something since the connectors are surface mount. Not really sure though since I really need a double-sided board and only know how to etch single-sided.

The reseller I got the free samples from keeps emailing me about when I want to place a large order for them. I guess they *assumed* that I was working for a company developing some project although I was careful not to lie too much on the sample request form I remember I found at least 4 or 5 US resellers of the JAE connectors. My best advice is to do a google search and find one and see if you can get some samples. I don't remember the company I got the samples from (this was several months ago), but the name started with an 'A' ...but you might want to try elsewhere as I think they're getting a little upset that they ordered these connectors all the way from Japan and I'm not doing any busniess with them.

I'll be sure to post my results on this board when i get around to trying it (hopefully in the next week or two). If I have any extra connectors I'll offer em up to several of you guys for enough $$ to cover the shipping. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. Good luck.

James Doebbler
                    [email protected]

Comment

moahdib, yes, it is the imac 6x DVD.

And i still can't believe it that there are or NO company out there selling what we need. I really find that hard to believe.
                      abcd-1

Comment

Originally posted by inline4
                        you cant hack an old notebook because it will stick out just the same.
                        i was thinking that there might be some sort of 50 pin ide cable that you can yank out of a laptop and use that to connect the drive to the adapter...

do laptops have the drive and mobo mounted in a "card-to-card" arrangement without a cable... ive never disected a laptop so im unsure...

Originally posted by JamesDoubbler
                        Not really sure though since I really need a double-sided board and only know how to etch single-sided.
                        ive been told that the easiest way to make a double sided board is to....these instructions are written as if you are using a "press n' peel" type image transfer paper or similar product...
                        layout the first side as normal, but add a couple locator marks in the unused corners of the board... something that looks like a target with an X through it is the usual symbol... then etch the board (i assume you are using a copper-clad board, not photoresist), make sure you cover the other side with tape so that it doesnt get etched.... then using the same spacing for the locator targets... layout the reverse side of the board (remember to revese your locators) and when you transfer the image to the board, make sure the locators are lined up perfectly... when you etch the second side... cover the first side with a layer or two of masking tape and make sure it is very secure against the copper... after etching... drill out the holes and you should have the double sided board all set...if you want to drill holes for the locators before you transfer the reverse side, you can do that too, it will make loacting easier.

if you are going to do a "dry-transfer" layout of the board... follow the same procedure.... but you really dont need the laocator holes/targets...

just make sure to cover the side that you ARENT etching with some tape so that it doesnt get eaten away when you are etching the other side.

alternately.... you could make 2 seperate one sided boards with a set of jumper wires that connect the 2 boards..

or better yet... just make a single sided board, with loose jumer wires soldered onto it, and then connect those loose wires to an ide header that you can just plug the main ide cable into...

~mike

Comment

Hey mp3z24 thanks for the quick rundown.
                          That all makes sense and I'm sure I can do that without much trouble...I was actually referring to a double-sided board with traces going through tho so that i didnt have to connect the 50 pins on both sides together through holes (what you described basically seems like 2 single sided boards back-to-back...which is a double sided board, just not exactly what I had in mind...I probably dont have the right terminology anyway). But, there probably isnt any way to do this easily.

I do like the idea of a single-sided board with traces going from the surfacemount JAE connector to solder points for a 40pin IDE cable and power and audio. Basically just make a new adapter board. That sounds like a good backup plan if the soldering directly to the JAE connectors proves too difficult. I'lll keep you guys posted.

James Doebbler
                          [email protected]

Comment

i get what you are saying... you want the soldering pads on the top side of the board to be electrically continuous with the solder pads on the bottom of the board...

yes that can be done, but the equipment you need to do it isnt something that most hobbyist have access to. you layout all the stuff as usual, etch the board, drill out the holes and then you have what is essentially an industrial pop rivet machine that puts these little copper shafts in the holes that you drilled, thus connecting the two sides of the board....

i have a link at home that is a great how to for making professional grade circuit boards... i can try to locate it for you....

if i were you i would make a board that has the solder pads on it for the 50 pin connector, have traces coming out from the surface mount connector to solder pads, drill through the board at each solder pad, then attach ide wire to the appropriate pads and slap an ide connector on the end... and you got yourself a nice cheap connector....

~Mike

edit: here is the site that i found regarding
                            homemade pcb's. it is specifically geared toward photoetched since they are better for detailed pcb's, generally out of the realm of the DIYer, but toward the bottom it gives some info on the stuff you need to do through plating on pcb's

Comment

I was also thinking of using this drive but feared the 50 pin connection. If someone has the pinouts I have a 50pin cable that was used for an old scsi connection that looks like an IDE except with 50 pins. It looks like it would fit. Can someone send the pinouts to me? Thanks.

Tom
                              1993 Probe GT
                              Rio Car w/20gb

Comment

Working...
                              X