No announcement yet.

12vlt on Cat 5

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12vlt on Cat 5

I recently installed my MP3 car. Just incase we'd ever need it, we ran a Cat5 cable to upgrade on later. Now looking at it, I think I might very well need a fan to cool off my LCD because it will be on top of the dash, in the hot Louisiana sun. Can I use Cat 5 to carry the 12vlts? OR is it too thin gauged? Can I use say, 2 wires for +12 and 2 for -12? Will that work out better? I just don't want to melt the only extra wire I have. I will try it out on some other CAT 5 before the installation, but I wanted to know what people thought.

I'm still looking for a way to get a nice rounded dash top display. Hopefully I can take some pics later this week to give you guys a better idea. Right now, we're thinking about using a cut section from a 6" PVC pipe coupler. Any other ideas?

Re: 12vlt on Cat 5

yeppo, 12V will run fine for that purpose...

remember that it is the voltage AND the current that has to be considered..... for a brushless PC fan the current will be low at around 0.18A (approx, depends on fan type/size) so that will be fine....
    Project - GAME OVER :(

How many Amps can a single wire in CAT5 Handle?

Also, if I hooked the LEDs up to the other wires of the Cat5 and mounted the LEDs in the front, would they still be bright in the front? (It's about a 15 foot line.)

More than you will need Im running my lcd from 12vdc through a cat5, and its supposed to pull in the neighborhood of 750ma (.75a). I also accidentially short circuted the control box (attached to the computer via cat5) when it was hooked up to a 12vdc 3amp inverter, and ended up melting the keystone jacks before anything happened to the cat5. And the voltage loss over 15ft of cat5 is negligable, my LED's work fine.

Since when is insanity a bad thing?