2 Problems With Carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Problems With Carputer

I don't normally push my car but my friend just bought a Honda and wanted see what the engine was like. So I put my car in 2nd gear and brought it almost to redline before shifting to 3rd. The first time I did it, the computer shut off and then booted up again. The second time, the sound cut out but the computer didn't turn off, and when I shifted to third, the sound came back on. So it seems like I'm having power issues with the alternator/battery/wiring setup. I was advised before I should look into upgrading these three but was never told to specifically, so do you think this would solve this issue? Do you think I'll have to before I set up my air ride?

The second problem is starting the car in the mornings. The last 2 days have been the coldest since I got the computer and when I turn the car on in the morning, it says it couldn't load the media, then says there's a system error and to insert a boot disk and press any key to continue. Turning the car off and back on three times worked yesterday and today, though I'm not sure if the 3 was coincidence or if the car finally warmed up enough for the computer. It was about -11 celsius each time. For the rest of the day yesterday and today, it started fine after it warmed up outside.
    Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

I forget which wires you used, but I remember drawing you a nice picture of your car exploding if you didn't upgrade the wires to thicker... I'd say that was specific. Yes upgrade the wires. Also do you have any other subs, big amps, microwave oven (hey you never know, it's Manheriano! ) plugged in?

As for the disk boot error, I would say that your HD is not fully spun up and functional before the mobo says, "what the hell is plugged into me" and starts looking. Since the HD is not fully awake yet, it's all sleepy like, and misses the mobo's call. Then when it is awake, the mobo has already moved on to try other devices during POST. Now, unless one of those other devices has an OS, then it can't do anything because to the computer, there is no HD. Look in your bios. There might be an option for IDE delay or something similar. Set it to the maximum like 3 or 5 seconds, and that way the mobo will refrain from looking until that time has passed hopefully giving your HD the time required to take its coffee and get it's lazy *** working. This is strange though because you have a 2.5" drive, and only the crap bottom of the line ones can't stand -11C. Usually lower than that. I would be wary of the drive.

Of course it could be other things but I advise you to check that first.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

As for the disk boot error, I would say that your HD is not fully spun up and functional before the mobo says, "what the hell is plugged into me" and starts looking. Since the HD is not fully awake yet, it's all sleepy like, and misses the mobo's call.
      LOL! thats great, I assume these are all very technical terms
      REBUILDING!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonknell911 View Post
        LOL! thats great, I assume these are all very technical terms
        Indeed.

Gets the point accross without having to go into great technical detail.
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

haha sorry
          I have a 120 watt amplifier for my speakers and a 325 watt amplifier for the subwoofer. Wiring to the amps is 8 gauge to a distribution block and then 4 gauge from the block to the battery. Then 10 gauge from the computer to the battery. I remember your picture, the computer's been running fine since I took your advice.
          Ampie Case
          256 MB DDR2 PC5400
          M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

how far is the computer from the distro block?
            REBUILDING!!

Comment

Oh, and I forgot to mention, if there is no "delay" feature in the BIOS, then disable quick boot. That will slow it down when checking for memory. Then when it warms up a bit, you can re-enable quick boot and have fast tunes! Of course this will only work if you are cold booting. If you keep it in S3 or something, then you need to hack the HD to come on before the motherboard. SOmething like a timer circuit on the HD that doesn't care what the IDE input is so it spins up and waits for a signal before the mobo awakens.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonknell911 View Post
                how far is the computer from the distro block?
                The computer's not powered through the distribution block, it's powered straight from the battery.
                Ampie Case
                256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

I was just thinking, that since you went into really high RPM's, won't your alternator give you a LOT of current. Because the power out is related to the magnetic field and the speed at which it changes, so lots of power should come out. Maybe too much came out, and your fuse was not low enough to pop, instead it just gave it all to the M2 which is a lottle dodgy to begin with and it just dumped it straighted into the board or maybe overloaded a cap or something causing it to malfunction until normal power again and it cleared itself. This a wildly huge guess, but it can't hurt!

Comment

I thought it was providing such a high current draw to the car that it couldn't give any to the computer. But yours sounds logical too.
                    Ampie Case
                    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Well I first thought: too small of wire, too mcuh stuff, no power.

Then I reread the first post and you said redlining, which would be excessive power I think. I know you had a whole thread about fuses. Which fuses did you settle on for the computer's line and the line to the amp for the computer?

Comment

I can't remember. I'll have to go check.
                        Ampie Case
                        256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                        M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
                          The second problem is starting the car in the mornings. The last 2 days have been the coldest since I got the computer and when I turn the car on in the morning, it says it couldn't load the media, then says there's a system error and to insert a boot disk and press any key to continue. Turning the car off and back on three times worked yesterday and today, though I'm not sure if the 3 was coincidence or if the car finally warmed up enough for the computer. It was about -11 celsius each time. For the rest of the day yesterday and today, it started fine after it warmed up outside.
                          That's because the fluid bearing used in the HDD thickens and the drive can't spin up properly at those temps, I get the exact same issue when it's really cold out, around 6-10F (-12C to -14C) is when my drive won't spin up and I get the same error, most 2.5" drives are only rated down to 5C, if it is enough of an issue there are some extreme temp 2.5" drives rated down to I belive -40C.
                          2005 Dodge Magnum RT, Samsung Galaxy Tab install

Comment

Well most toshiba drives that I have used including the one in my laptop are pretty good with extreme temperatures and shock. I use a full 3.5" in my car though, and so far no spin up troubles, but rarely does the inside of my car get to the outside temp!

Comment

Alternators have built in regulators that attempt to keep the voltage at 14.4v (for 14.4 volt electrical systems obviously).

So redlining should have a minimal effect on the voltage that is sent from the alternator. Unless of course the regulator in your alternator is failing.

Your psu should draw around (90 watts max /12 volts) = 7.5 amperes. multiplied by 1.5 = 11.25 amps.

Round to the nearest fuse size you'll likely find = 15 amps.

I'd use a 15 amp fuse if you don't already have one.
                              REBUILDING!!

Comment

Working...
                              X