Best MINI-ITX I can build??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best MINI-ITX I can build??

Money within reason is not too much a factor.

I want to build a mini-itx that is capable of at least 4GB of ram

I would like to run a 32bit os on it.

What recommendations do you guys have? I want the highest performing machine I can possibly get.

Thanks
    Qman

I don't remember seeing any mini-itx's that can take 2gig modules, most have 2 slots for memory, so they would have to be 2gig modules.
    Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

Actually, i just checked my own mobo, which runs Core/Core 2 duo cpus....this handles up to 4GB of memory in 2 slots

http://www.commell.com.tw/News/News/...331_LV-677.htm
      Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

Originally posted by _dopehead_ View Post
        Actually, i just checked my own mobo, which runs Core/Core 2 duo cpus....this handles up to 4GB of memory in 2 slots

http://www.commell.com.tw/News/News/...331_LV-677.htm

This has been the board I have been looking at, but I was still wondering if there were any other options or suggestions. Looks like it kind of has a hold on the 4 gig itx market right now, so they might be the winners.

Comment

why would you possibly want 4 gig of memory? 256 is ok sometimes, 512 is the norm, 1 gig is alot but 4 gig? thats totally overkill for a mini itx board....

Comment

are you planning on running audio processing though this board?

as in 31 band eq, crossovers, phase control, and time alignment?
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I am building one based on the Aopen i945GTt. Here is the thread discussing this board. It has several advantages over the Commell 677. The Core 2 Duo has 64bit instruction capabilities, so you could go with either a 32 bit or 64 bit OS. I bought my Core Duo before the Core 2 Duo came out, so I am stuck with 32 bit OS. I have 2 GB of memory, which is plenty for windows vista etc.
              My Worklog

Comment

So are you guys planning to play Counterstrike: Source in your cars?

Comment

Originally posted by DIGItonium View Post
                  So are you guys planning to play Counterstrike: Source in your cars?
                  I play CS:S @ home with only 1/8 of the ram this guys going to use :P

I'm also interested as to why you require so much ram in a carputer? 1gb is more then enough for most people

Comment

what advantages are you thinking of vihila ?
                    Not doing carpc anymore

Comment

Originally posted by _dopehead_ View Post
                      what advantages are you thinking of vihila ?
                      Well, the Aopen has discreet audio outputs for front, rear, and subwoofer, which can feed directly into my amplifiers, allowing for more precise control of audio through the computer. It has DVI-I output, so it can do both DVI and VGA. It takes 19V DC in, so it is perfectly matched for the CarNetix 19V DC Regulator, making it more efficient than those needing a power supply. It has a serial port, which is more useful than the parallel port that comes with the Commell.

These are advantages to me, although they may not be advantages to some. I am planning on using my carpc as basically another workstation. DVD ripping, code compiling, video transcoding, etc are things that I do regularly. Maybe some advanced audio processing as RedGTI mentioned. I also plan on recording video and serving it and my GPS location once I subscribe to a cellular data plan. 2GB may be overkill now, but I am also thinking 10 years down the road.
                      My Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by vihila View Post
                        Well, the Aopen has discreet audio outputs for front, rear, and subwoofer, which can feed directly into my amplifiers, allowing for more precise control of audio through the computer. It has DVI-I output, so it can do both DVI and VGA. It takes 19V DC in, so it is perfectly matched for the CarNetix 19V DC Regulator, making it more efficient than those needing a power supply. It has a serial port, which is more useful than the parallel port that comes with the Commell.

These are advantages to me, although they may not be advantages to some. I am planning on using my carpc as basically another workstation. DVD ripping, code compiling, video transcoding, etc are things that I do regularly. Maybe some advanced audio processing as RedGTI mentioned. I also plan on recording video and serving it and my GPS location once I subscribe to a cellular data plan. 2GB may be overkill now, but I am also thinking 10 years down the road.
                        If you are thinking 10 years down the road, maybe look at a mainboard that uses standards, so it can be easily replaced by a more powerfull one later. 19v power seems exotic to me...
                        Get everything on usb too, as serial won't be here in 10 years.

Serving video and gps location will meet a bottleneck on the network speed earlier then performance on a 256Mb pc...

Just some thoughts...

Good luck building though!
                        List of front-ends/usefull apps
                        XTroniC | XTroniC Direct

Comment

2GB may be overkill now, but I am also thinking 10 years down the road.
                          I'm lucky if computers I build last me for like 2-3 years before they are too slow to keep up with current software... of course, in a car where your software needs are more limited it's not as significant... but think about 10 years ago... in 1996, processors were at what, P1's, and in the ballpark of 100Mhz? people throw away systems of that speed all the time now; a computer that cost $2k+ back then is hardly worth giving away now. Spending a lot to go overboard now just to try and make it last for 10 years is probably not a great goal, since between now and then (by the time you actually need to upgrade) the parts that are currently expensive will become much cheaper.
                          But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                          Originally posted by Viscouse
                          I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                          eegeek.net

Comment

I'd rather get an uber-cool loaded dual core SLI laptop monster.
                            Then integrate the docking station to the car.

For XP, setup two user accounts. One for desktop, and the other for CarPC so it autoloads whatever front end you want when you select the CarPC account.

It's just a idea... plus, you'll have an uber-cool SLI laptop!

Comment

Well, the Aopen has discreet audio outputs for front, rear, and subwoofer, which can feed directly into my amplifiers,
                              you might want to do a bit of research on this as this is generally not going to provide for high quality audio. The voltages out are minimall at best, meaning your noise floor will be rather high.

allowing for more precise control of audio through the computer.
                              How so? If you are talkigna bout tuning control (as in 31-band eq, crossover functions, phase control, and time alignment, then you will want something that can take a beefire processor. From what I've seen the Core Duos and Core 2 Duos aren't up to snuff yet. You;re going to need 3+ GHz for those tasks.

It has DVI-I output, so it can do both DVI and VGA.
                              Currently, there aren't any DVI capable small touch screens on the market that I'm aware of, though it would be nice, for the future maybe. VIA has come out with some modules to allow DVI to be used with their boards as well.

It has a serial port, which is more useful than the parallel port that comes with the Commell.
                              Don't most of the mini-itx boards have serial on them already? or are you just comparing to the 677 only?

2GB may be overkill now, but I am also thinking 10 years down the road.
                              2 GB is understandable, 4GB isn't though.

And 10 years down the road, you'll either have an entirely new computer in your car, an entirely new car, or all of the above...and by then, the hardware you're using now will be so pathetically outdated you wouldn't want to be seen in public with it....
                              Jan Bennett
                              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
                              X