Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Socket A AMD Duron Processor (In Laptop)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socket A AMD Duron Processor (In Laptop)

Hi, I was wondering if my HP ZE1110 laptop would accept a faster processor (like an athlon class) if it has a standard Socket A its plugged into? I had the computer apart (to do some soldering to some components) and noticed that it looked like a normal duron cpu. I couldn't read anywhere on the top of it that it was a mobile version. I know that athlons were also an option for these laptops when new a few years ago, but I wasn't sure whether a regular athlon socket A would just plug into and work. Like I said, the cpu looks exactly like one that goes into a motherboard (similar to those P3 socket a's). Thanks!
    Celeron 2.53 Ghz Processor
    512M ddr memory
    Mimo 7" USB Display
    XM Direct Tuner
    mp3car.com XM Direct USB interface box

1999 Mustang GT Convertible Supercharged

Check the markings ont eh CPU and identify it. If the CPU is in a standard socket configuration, then it's very likely you can remove it and replace it with another CPU that uses the same core (Thunderbird, Barton, etc.)

You might also check an in-depth hardware compatibility site and see if CPUs with other cores might enable you to have a faster rig than you envisioned. It's possible, but I don't know.

You might also consider looking at HP's support. It may or may not be helpful.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Will do, thanks!
      512M ddr memory
      Mimo 7" USB Display
      XM Direct Tuner

Comment

As long as the new cpu is a "mobile" you should be able to swap them without a hitch (assuming your mobo is okay).

But if you drop a non-mobile cpu, mmmmmuhhahahahahahhaahhahaha !

FYI, my tbird 1.4 Ghz sux 70 W of power.
        Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

I think I just decided to leave it alone. I had to buy a new motherboard b/c for some reason it went out when I tried testing the computer in my car ::cry::. I think it may have been the power supply, but not sure. Anyways, I found a replacement motherboard with a 1.1 ghz processor on ebay (still a duron, though) so I snapped it up. Cost me less than 100 dollars (barely), but I'm glad I didn't have to buy a new laptop. Thanks!
          512M ddr memory
          Mimo 7" USB Display
          XM Direct Tuner

Comment

Can I plug a normal AMD Athlon XP (Non-Mobile) into the socket a plug on my laptop motherboard without damaging the laptop to see if it will work?
            512M ddr memory
            Mimo 7" USB Display
            XM Direct Tuner

Comment

Working...
            X