Large 2.5" portable drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large 2.5" portable drive

I have a 120gb 2.5" drive in an external USB case and I need more room. The new perpendicular drives are expensive so I was trying to find a case that allows me to connect two 2.5" drives to one USB port (ie together in one case). Since one doesn't seem to exist I thought I would try and build one. Has anyone done anything similar or know a good place to get parts to make your own ide cables? Would it be possible to mod a standard 2.5 external case to read two drives?
    Thanks

I would probably simply tape 2 external drives together and attach them to a (powered) USB hub. If you want to get fancy, you could pull all the boards out of each unit and install them in some sort of project box, but that would be a lot of work. If you wanted one large volume, you could use software RAID.
    My Worklog

Comment

I was hoping to have them as a spanned disk. Do you think it would be possible to use the board from a external enclosure and hook 2 drives to it using a short ribbon cable? Or would it not see both drives?

Comment

I don't think it would see both drives. I think software RAID would be the way to go. Otherwise, you would need some sort of external RAID controller, and hook up the 2.5" drives using the mini-IDE to regular IDE adapter. Unless these drives are SATA. Are they? If so, you might be able to set up an eSATA raid configuration.
        My Worklog

Comment

Considering the relative low cost of hard drives these days, I think it's a better solution to get one larger HDD rather than a RAID setup, especially for the vehicle where available power is at a premium
          Granted, 2.5" drives aren't all that large yet.

A single big-assed 3.5" drive is the way to go in my opinion.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            I was trying to keep it small. My thought is that two 2.5" are smaller than one 3.5". But if its going to be a gigantic PITA I'll just save up for the perpendicular drive.

Most 3.5" exturnal cases are a decent amount bigger than the actual drive. Are there any that are close to form fitting?

Comment

Why have a case at all?
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                Considering the relative low cost of hard drives these days, I think it's a better solution to get one larger HDD rather than a RAID setup, especially for the vehicle where available power is at a premium
                Granted, 2.5" drives aren't all that large yet.

I'd have to agree. I got so wrapped up in the feasibility of this idea that I forgot about the big picture. It would be cheaper per GB and it would probably use less space to just go for an external 3.5" drive. Maximum capacity for 2.5" is 160GB. capacity for 3.5" is 800GB now?
                My Worklog

Comment

Working...
                X