Custom AM/FM radio display?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom AM/FM radio display?

I've been trying to figure out what to do about an AM/FM radio tuner... I just came up with an idea..

Get a digitally tuned portable am/fm radio and chop it up to mount in your dash.. run headphone to the line in of the computer (mine will be under my seat so this wont be to hard).

next is just to figure out how to get it to look nice to match your setup.. possibly replacing the lcd... or some how connecting the lcd controller to your computer where your computer can interpret it and relay it back through a plug in of some sort... (this may be a long shot.. )

Anyway.. this is my latest idea
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

LOL why don't you just take your rca line out from your head unit (already mounted) using a rca 2 1/8" and plug it into your sound card Line In? Line out from your sound card, go directly to your crooseover then amps then speakers?

Comment

I'm debating eliminatnig the use of a head unit.. since i just have a stock one right now.. and the ony reason i would use the head is for radio tuning
      aka Kumaneko
      mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation

Comment

I thought about doing the same thing in the wife's car. The factory radio has extra features, you can control a bunch of electrical functions of the car which we would loose replacing it with an new head unit. Someone suggested putting a vfd display in beside the radios and connecting its buttons to the pc to control winamp.

Comment

've nearly abandoned this idea all together For radio I will probably put a am/fm walkman in my glove box unless/untill I find a better solution.

The only other option I think is feasible is using a cadet with an ISA->USB adapter.. and that would require me switching back to win98se from winxp I'm not sure if win98me will work with the card.. but if it will then this is really a possiblity (since the main reason i use xp is for hibernate)
          aka Kumaneko

Comment

I thought they made a tuner card for a PC to let you tune into radio stations like a regular stereo??
            Cordell

Comment

lux makes a tv/am/fm tuner with 4x20 amp built in that I'll be using to replace my stock head unit.

i think you can find it on carentertain.com
              aka Kumaneko

Comment

dlink usb radio

http://www.dlink.com/products/usb/dsbr100/
                [H]4 Life
                My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                I'm a lesbian too.
                I am for hire!

Comment

awesome man.. thanks only thing I don't like is that it uses its own program.. means yet another program to have open.. trying to keep it as low as possible .. but definately an option
                  Cordell

Comment

Originally posted by Cordell
                    awesome man.. thanks only thing I don't like is that it uses its own program.. means yet another program to have open.. trying to keep it as low as possible .. but definately an option
                    that's the thing, it's easy to integrate, what software are you using ?
                    [H]4 Life
                    I'm a lesbian too.
                    I am for hire!

Comment

the only problem is that there's no AM radio!! which is not an option for me.
                      aka Kumaneko

Comment

not using any yet.. still looking at all of the programs.. I'm still looking for an All-in-one type.. I don't even have my system in my car yet.. but I'm trying to get everything together so when I get a little bit of free time I can do alot of work fast.. spring break maybe

What is a good all in one program? I'm looking for MP3, DVD/CD, FM Tuner, and GPS I guess.. would love to run WinAmp3 cuz I love it.. the visualizations are cool and it sounds good heh.. any ideas?

cordell
                        Cordell

Comment

Good luck finding that *magic* program
                          [H]4 Life
                          I'm a lesbian too.
                          I am for hire!

Comment

yeah that's what I figured.. I don't mind using a few seperate programs.. I just don't want it to look so much like a desktop pc interface, ya know?? oh well
                            Cordell

Comment

Originally posted by Cordell
                              yeah that's what I figured.. I don't mind using a few seperate programs.. I just don't want it to look so much like a desktop pc interface, ya know?? oh well
                              have you seen my new thread ?

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...threadid=13054
                              [H]4 Life
                              I'm a lesbian too.
                              I am for hire!

Comment

Working...
                              X