usb fast enough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usb fast enough?

I'm pretty sure usb 1.1 is going to be fast enough to do mp3s... Is it going to be fast enough to play divx files etc? I already know it's not fast enough for DVD..

I plan on using a 2.5 drive in an usb enclosure for a portable mp3 drive
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Re: usb fast enough?

I would say so......

do the math tho..... I have Austin Powers 2, approx 91 minutes in a good quality 700MB DivX 5 rip (which I did myself BTW)

91 * 60 = 5460 seconds

700 * 1024 = 716800 Kilobytes

716800 / 5460 = 131.28 Kilobytes per second is required to keep this movie playing.

as a rule of thumb I guess if you can achive 150-200K per second you should be in the comfort zone with that one. I have no idea on the max throughput of USB IDE adaptors - little help?
    Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

the enclosures typically clame to get upto 900kB/s

USB 2 units say 480 MB/s

Too bad this thing doesn't have USB 2.0

Oh yeah.. next time I'll try to think about things rather than waking up and with a stupid question in my head *^^*
      aka Kumaneko
      mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation

Comment

I use a USB 1.1 external hard drive, and the specs for it claim it can do 900KB/sec. I typically see arounf 600-700KB/sec, so it should be more than fast enough.

Comment

i think i'm going to find a usb2 board that's small enough to fit in my case and buy a laptop dvd drive and hack a usb2-> laptop hard drive enclosure to make the hook up
          aka Kumaneko

Comment

Ive got a USB 1.1 enclosure and a hitachi 15 gig laptop hard drive if youre interested... heres a pic of the enclosure:

email me at: friedman@mailbox.sc.edu if youre interested

Comment

Working...
            X