Opinions of tube subwoofers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions of tube subwoofers?

Okay, it's looking like my 6x9's aren't going to give me any decent bass. I don't want to deal with wiring an amp and I don't want gigantic sub boxes in my trunk. I've just run across powered tube woofers and I'm intrigued. Some have built-in amps and don't take up a lot of space. Does anyone have experience with these that could tell me a bit about how well they work? I appreciate it. THanks!

Re: Opinions of tube subwoofers?

Originally posted by King_Xerxes
    Okay, it's looking like my 6x9's aren't going to give me any decent bass. I don't want to deal with wiring an amp and I don't want gigantic sub boxes in my trunk. I've just run across powered tube woofers and I'm intrigued. Some have built-in amps and don't take up a lot of space. Does anyone have experience with these that could tell me a bit about how well they work? I appreciate it. THanks!
    you dont want to wire an amp = you dont want to build one or you dont want to install one?

there is a large amount of speakers that are designed to a <20litre box and will play just as good as more than halft of the biggies, mine is a 600w 10" wich weighs about 8kgs, and i have that one in a 17litre box, and it kicks ***!

it's very much about the box, it doesnt matter how expensive speakers you got if you cant build a decent enclosure.

i think that those tubes are for people that doesnt really understand what they are doing, they want some more bass, and that tube looks cool, so it must be good.... believe me, you can build just as good and about the same size, and you can decide between wich freq:s it should have its peak..

^ my två kronor ^
    -
    My cars
    -

Comment

Re: Re: Opinions of tube subwoofers?

you dont want to wire an amp = you dont want to build one or you dont want to install one?
      Both

there is a large amount of speakers that are designed to a <20litre box and will play just as good as more than halft of the biggies, mine is a 600w 10" wich weighs about 8kgs, and i have that one in a 17litre box, and it kicks ***!
      What is that in in^3?

it's very much about the box, it doesnt matter how expensive speakers you got if you cant build a decent enclosure.
      I can't.

i think that those tubes are for people that doesnt really understand what they are doing, they want some more bass, and that tube looks cool, so it must be good....
      That's me. Will it work?

believe me, you can build just as good and about the same size, and you can decide between wich freq:s it should have its peak...
      No I can't. I don't have the time or the money or the patience or the knowledge. I want to buy something that I can take out of the box, plug into the head unit and get some decent bass. That's all I want.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Opinions of tube subwoofers?

ok, i think that you are missing alot of fun

install an amp is just like install the tube, if you dont let the people you bought(are going to buy) the equip from do the install(athleast here they offer to do that, not free, but they do).

one inch is 2,51cm i think, and the box is 17*10^3 cm, that would make the box 6800 in3 (i hope that was calculated right)

meabye the size of 3/4 miditower pc-case

i used a wery neat swedish program called probox wich took all the values of the speaker, and asked me where i wanted the preformance peak of the speaker, and if it was a large or small car, and if i had any max height/widht/depth it would increase the other values to maintain the volume. it then gave me cad drawings of the parts i needed and how long bass-tube and wich diameter. so i went to the woodpecker in town and he cut up all the pieces i needed for like $50(included work) and all i had to do was to mount it all and voila.

sure, the tubes will work, i guess.... i havent listened to any except in audio stores, but the seller told me that they was pretty bad and that i could build better for less money, but if you dont want to build it sure is a easy way to get some extra bass, if they work..

why not check the used systems? i am sure that the seller will help you to install it and so, if you ask him nicely.
        -
        My cars
        -

Comment

Tubes are crap if you are looking for quality...

I used to work at a car stereo place, and nothing was worse than hearing a base tube/roll. I definitely do not recommend it. You can probably find something at a local gheto shop pretty cheap and small. We used to sell 3 8inch subs in a prebuilt box for 80 bucks. Put an amp on that for another $100. It will sound much better than a tube. But you stil only have decent sound and you spend lots of money.

A cheap fix is to buy a tube, but I have an even cheaper one. Put in a computer sub. You can get em for like 20 bucks now-adays. Seriously! If you just want some base, put one in. My roomate has two in his car that he picked up at best buy for 20 and 40 bucks. The $20 one was out of box. Anyways, its not gonna hit like a pair of 15's, but it will do the job and do it cheaply. Ive got a cambridge sub at my desk, it would probably do the job.

good luck,

PoBoy
          I'm a ghost...email me if you have any questions on my old setup

My way outdated website: http://www.poboytech.net

FYI: I sold my 96 4Runner and bought a 1985

Comment

I've managed to come across a 10" subwoofer that is damaged. The cone is separated from the spider. Can this be repaired?

Comment

welll.... Probably... but... it wouldn't be too good... unless it is really cheap, I wouldn't buy it.... If its from a shop... Bargain with em.. my grandpa used to do it all the time.. very embarasing..
              2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
              register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

Okay, seeking the input of the learned here...

Could someone "in the know" tell me if this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1356081779

Is a good deal? I fogire one of these in a decent enclosure with a decent amp ought to be more than enough for what I'm looking for, I'd just like to get the community's recommendation. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by King_Xerxes
                  Okay, seeking the input of the learned here...

Could someone "in the know" tell me if this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1356081779

Is a good deal? I fogire one of these in a decent enclosure with a decent amp ought to be more than enough for what I'm looking for, I'd just like to get the community's recommendation. Thanks!

Avoid PYRAMID most of the stuff they make is crap
                  If you come out talking sh1t don't try to turn around and wipe you azz.

Comment

Depends on what your after, if you want a bit more bass they'll do that, if you want a rich, clear, deap sound, they won't.

This might be a bit better for only $5 more

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1357974485

Rockford Fosgate arn't a big favorite of mine, but from what I've heard they arn't that bad either.
                    And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
                    www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
                    Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

i'd go for the fosgate too, pyramid has a bad reputation here.

with rockford speakers and a powerful(expensive) amp, you get a well controlled thunderstorm i'm sure you wont be sorry with that speaker, it has well-controlled sound with cheaper amps too.

i really think that you should build or ask a woodshop to make a box calculated for that speaker. send me info about the speaker you get and i'll make some drawings for you, as the program is in swedish
                      -
                      My cars
                      -

Comment

Okay guys, that's really great. I appreciate the feedback!

On Friday I start work for the summer and due to the nature of this work, I won't have computer access all summer except for a few weekends. My contract is up August 10th and then on the 14th I drive for 3 days to get to school. So it's looking like this project is going to be put on hold until August. But all this info helps! Thank you all for your help. Now I have a lot to go on!

I suppose one final set of questions would be this...

My head unit has a pair of RCA outs for subwoofers. Is this for a sub amp or does it mean the head unit has a built-in sub amp? What's a good cheap sub amp for under $50? (I'm not looking for a big kick). I can;'t afford nor do I have the time to get a custom enclosure. What prefab sub boxes are recommended for just one speaker? Is it a good idea to mount the sub amp inside the enclosure? All these ideas and more! Thanks very much!

Comment

RCA-out = PRE-OUT.
                          Think of it.. would a headunit with 4x40watts have enough spare room to put in a 200w sub-amp ?
                          put the pre-out to the amp, and the amp to the sub.

To my opinion it's not a good Idea to mount the amp inside the box.
                          In the beginning, you will be adjusting the amp to match the volume of your other speakers.
                          you also might want to adjust the cut-off frequency.
                          So when It's mounted inside the box. you have a lot off work when you want to make an adjustment.. (remove sub, adjust amp, put on sub.. test.. nah.. this sound is not good.. remove sub............... get my point ???)

Good Luck !
                          Greetz
                          Raas - The Netherlands
                          ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
                          GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

Working...
                          X