I think my amp is overheating....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my amp is overheating....

I took my player on an 8hr trip across Texas a few weeks back and discovered a problem. After it's been playing for a couple of hours, it will start to go into protect mode. To stop it from doing that, I turn the volume down a few notches which will fix it temporarily. After 10 minutes or so, it'll do the protect mode dance again and I'll turn the volume down a little more. The amp kept doing that until I turned the volume down to barely above the volume of the road. I went to the trunk and felt the amp and it was extremely hot.

So the question is, does it sound like it's overheating? If so, what are some ways to keep it cool? (Water cooling and peltiers are not options)
    Don't Click

Definitely...

Its overheating alright. But the question is how hot was it in the trunk?? Make sure all your wiring is right and you are using good fuses. You may be burning it up accidentlly.

But if its just really hot in your trunk then its just overheating out of your control. Best way to keep it cool is to take it out of the trunk. Move it to the inside of your car under a seat and turn on the floor a/c. Fans wont do anything cause if your trunk is hot, then you are just blowing hot air back onto it. Put it inside your car under a seat or somewhere out of sunlight. It will help alot.

PoBoy
    I'm a ghost...email me if you have any questions on my old setup

My way outdated website: http://www.poboytech.net

FYI: I sold my 96 4Runner and bought a 1985

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention is that I pulled the back seat down and it never went into protect mode again. Thanks for the confirmation, Poboy. If I could pull air in from the cab somehow, it should solve my problem. I'd rather not rewire it and move it under my seat if possible. I can't find any vents in my trunk since it's all covered with a stiff cardboard/carpet material that's incredibly hard to remove. If only I could find a way to draw air in from the outside, or even better, from inside the cab, it should solve my problem.

Hmmmm, much to think about.
      Don't Click

Comment

Try going down...

Hey!!! I just checked out your website!! YOU ARE THE PERSON THAT GOT ME STARTED INTO ALL THIS!! I ran into your site back in January 2000 I think. Its all your fault!! But you got me an A in my English class. I used your site to write a how-to on an install.

Hehehe, anyways...I used to drive a geo prisim, your car might be similar. The tire was in the bottom of the trunk. You may want to look around there. You may be able to drill a few holes in the bottom of your trunk and suck some air in with a fan. Just have to get the hot air out....which you might be able to do by loosening your back seat hinges a bit and put some washers in. Then you will have a bit of space for hot air to escape into your cab. Other than that...you may be able to find a big heatsync for your amp, but that is just avioding the problem further.

I know re-wiring sucks, but its still your best solution unless you want to install a/c in your trunk and run tubing to it somehow. Hrmmm...

Good Luck,
        Thanks again!
        PoBoy
        I'm a ghost...email me if you have any questions on my old setup

My way outdated website: http://www.poboytech.net

FYI: I sold my 96 4Runner and bought a 1985

Comment

You got an A in English off my stuff?!? Geez. I failed englsh my seenyer yeer of high skool. My benevolent english teacher gave me 6 whole points so that I could pass and graduate. The site's been up since mid-'99 so it's very possible that's when you saw it.

I see amps in trunks all the time and nobody else seems to have this problem...or do they? I think I might have found a vent, but I'll have to rip up the carpeting to make sure. I'll do it in the daylight. There's gotta be an easy way to do this. Maybe I will just rewire it and put in under my seat. Grrrrrr.
          Don't Click

Comment

my 5ch Clarion amp has a cooling fan built in..... its thermo controlled so only comes on when required.

Also with the very large size of the amp it has a much larger metal/heatsink area than alot of car amps.....
            Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

Check your ground !!!

Hi Gutter,

I had the same problem..
              My amp (RTO 150w 2ch 2ohm stable, 4ohm load, sub) was cutting out and going in protect mode, with the gain not even half open.
              My amp was also getting pretty hot (like one can hold it in his hands for 10sec.)
              But my amp was only cutting out when I pushed it very hard.

The amp was always good before in my previous car, so I thought it had something to do with the wiring.

I changed my ground of the amp, and now the amp is half as hot as it was before, and I can push it much harder and it is not goint into protection.

So make sure you have a good ground...
              Hope this helps you out !
              Greetz,
              Raas - The Netherlands
              ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
              GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

Comment

I agree, if its not the ground/earth connection then almost certainly wiring. Are you using at least 4gauge for ground? The other end of the cable needs to go to a secure point on the car body free of rust and paint, and the cable should be as short as possible. if its more than 50cm you should consider chopping it back. Iv seen this overheat problem quite a few times and have suffered myself, and thats in the crappy cold UK weather.

Is your sub in bridged mode? Sub + connector goes to amp channel 1 + connector and Sub - connector goes to amp channel 2 - connector. If your using it like this then the load presented to the amp is 2ohm using a 4ohm sub.
                -------------------------------------------
                (=========-) 99% complete
                --------------------------------------------
                AMD K6/2 500 @ 450mhz to keep heat and power usage down, 64Mb, slim CDrom drive, 64mb USB pendrive for MP3 transfer, 10Gb 2.5" drive for MP3, USB>RS232
                All jammed in external CDROM drive case.
                Kenwood KVC-1000r In-Dash LCD. x-10 MouseRemote. Destinator V2 Gps. DC-DC with onboard Shutdown controller.
                ----------------------------------------------

Comment

I have a 4channel 800W amp in my 'boot' and it has no problem with over heating. The power cable runs from the battery so it would be about 2.5-3m long! No problems!

My amp is even sitting on carpet without any air flowing underneath it! I havent had a problem yet! It does have a cooling fan but still.......

perhaps your amp has had it!

Comment

ps. I am running 2x12" subs, 2xmids, 4xtweets and no probs! As a matter of a fact it doesn't even get warm!

Comment

Originally posted by MP3IAN by Ian Gregory
                      I have a 4channel 800W amp in my 'boot' and it has no problem with over heating. The power cable runs from the battery so it would be about 2.5-3m long! No problems!
                      The length of the power cable isnt really an issue as long as they cable is of decent size, but the ground cable is. If your using a 3meter ground cable I suggest you shorten it as much as you can, you will probably find you amp can go even louder!
                      -------------------------------------------
                      (=========-) 99% complete
                      --------------------------------------------
                      AMD K6/2 500 @ 450mhz to keep heat and power usage down, 64Mb, slim CDrom drive, 64mb USB pendrive for MP3 transfer, 10Gb 2.5" drive for MP3, USB>RS232
                      All jammed in external CDROM drive case.
                      Kenwood KVC-1000r In-Dash LCD. x-10 MouseRemote. Destinator V2 Gps. DC-DC with onboard Shutdown controller.
                      ----------------------------------------------

Comment

my bad.....

the ground cable would be no longer than say 50cm.

Comment

also running tweeters aint gonna effect the heat anyway, since tweets are VERY efficient generally and are no effort to drive, its subs and higher power mid drivers that will work the amp....
                          Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

I'm just driving my 4 stock speakers. Everything is wired directly to the battery. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, but I bought 10 gauge 2 conductor wire which means I had to run both wires. Since they were both there, I hooked it directly to the battery.

I'll try changing the ground and using a larger gauge wire.

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody.
                            Don't Click

Comment

Working...
                            X