Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upfront sideview cameras for traffic situations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upfront sideview cameras for traffic situations?

I did a little searching but gave up because there are so many rear camera threads that I couldn't find the results I was looking for.

Has anyone installed side mount cameras in the front of their vehicle? Or upfront cameras that are off to the left side? I was thinking it could be useful for high traffic areas such as in a big city where its hard to see around traffic when turning or pulling otu into traffic? Just throwing the idea out there because I am too lazy to try it myself and don't have the time to try it.
    System always under construction

I have intended on doing this for a while now... just haven't gotten round to it yet... I want a camera left & right, behind the front wheel pointing backwards... mostly for parking... my window tint is so dark that I can't park at night without pulling a window down.... sucks in the rain...

I will round it out with a 4th for front view(rear view is already done)... then I will have it running as a dvr with a few hours loop, always recording while car is on....

I will do it, but it will be one of the last things I do, after everything else is done...
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post

I will do it, but it will be one of the last things I do, after everything else is done...

haha sweet. And it's not like you don't have anything else to do...what's taking you so long anyway?

Comment

life... you know, wife, kid, work, bills, **** like that

if I finish all my projects before I die, then I guess I've lived a good life, fat chance of that though..., I wonder how many unfinished projects I'll leave

Comment

Comment

front camera

I do have a camera in the front of my car that i can manualy turn to the direction that I want. The picture is as good as my rearview and is very helpfull when i need to park and turn because my car is low to the ground. I dont have pics of my cam or anything up yet but i will so you all can see

Comment

I ran across 3 old logitech quickcams at the thrift store for 50 cents a piece when I was out looking for carpc stuff, and I've considered doing something similar, but it didn't seem all that practical- not to mention how incriminating it would be if I got pulled for accidentally running a light or something :-) Turbocad- you said about having it on a loop- how would you do that? I'd like to be able to record, say, half an hour at a time, but I don't know of any software that would do that. What are you gonna use?
              '05 Scion xA
              PC- Mac Mini 1.25 G4 / 512MB / 40GB
              Power- Carnetix P1900 w/ MacPac
              Video- Pyle PLHR56R
              Audio- Audiobahn A4004T amp and factory speakers
              Controls- Gravis Eliminator USB
              Progress- [IIIIIII---]ish?

Next Project- ....tuition.

Comment

Originally posted by superman661 View Post
                I do have a camera in the front of my car that i can manualy turn to the direction that I want. The picture is as good as my rearview and is very helpfull when i need to park and turn because my car is low to the ground. I dont have pics of my cam or anything up yet but i will so you all can see
                Cool. I would love to see that. When you get a chance make sure you post back here again.

Comment

Originally posted by Doomspat View Post
                  Turbocad- you said about having it on a loop- how would you do that? I'd like to be able to record, say, half an hour at a time, but I don't know of any software that would do that. What are you gonna use?
                  I will probably use a multiplexer to display the 4 cameras, or any combo really on one input... there are software solutions & there are hardware solutions to capture the images... I haven't finalized my design to the point of knowing what I'll use... if the finances are there though I may use a hardware solution, so it's actually independant of the pc... a busted camcorder could do the job, as well as stand alone hardrive recorders under $200.... there are options...

Comment

Back is servo mounted, but the front is not. Though the FOV is great and it sees around my chunky pillars which make big blindspots due to the way the mirrors set next to them.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...77624756&hl=en

The fov is bigger than it looks. It's pretty good considering that it is mounted in front of the rear view mirror almost touching the glass. You could do something similar with a small servo and have it scan.
                    GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Working...
                    X