video card.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• video card.

should I go for a pci video card or an agp one?

35 for a Visiontek Geforce256 32MB DDR DVI TV OUT AGP (Not Geforce2 GTS 32MB DDR) hopefully the cables included.

or 39 + shipping for a 32 MB ATI radeon pci card with tv out.

i'm leaning towards the pci cause I could always use it for DUAL display in XP if i take it out.

any ideas?

Well,

Really you don't need agp for a carpc unless you play mad amounts of games in your car. You also had a good idea going for the dual monitor setup when you upgrade the carpc. I would just go with the pci setup.

Good luck..

BTW, are you still selling the slot dvd with adapters? I'll give yah 65 shipped if you are.

Thanks!
    replicant
    Audi A4 (flickr pics)

Comment

Go for the cheapest but highest spec. AGP give next to no improvment over PCI. I have owned a few cheapie TNT2 AGP and PCI cards, and by comparison the PCI cards ran quicker and gave slightly better FPS. Certainly for a car application your not going to be worried about a .5 FPS difference.
      -------------------------------------------
      (=========-) 99% complete
      --------------------------------------------
      AMD K6/2 500 @ 450mhz to keep heat and power usage down, 64Mb, slim CDrom drive, 64mb USB pendrive for MP3 transfer, 10Gb 2.5" drive for MP3, USB>RS232
      All jammed in external CDROM drive case.
      Kenwood KVC-1000r In-Dash LCD. x-10 MouseRemote. Destinator V2 Gps. DC-DC with onboard Shutdown controller.
      ----------------------------------------------

Comment

then theres the factor that agp is direct gfx and therefor any data wont have to go onto ur pci bus.

agp makes more sense doesn't it?
        its like buying a cat flap for a dog, there more suited for cats but dogs can use em too...
        John McLear - [email protected]
        http://www.205oc.co.uk
        UK Mp3car slapnut
        #mp3car - Efnet
        Carplayer and Mediaengine *****
        spank gemma.co.uk for holding my motherboard for so long. still no board, wood work nearly done :|
        [-----------(90%)----] Completed :)
        pics at: http://www.zcentric.com/~mitcht/gall...me=Convertable

Comment

Originally posted by defsquad
          Well,

Really you don't need agp for a carpc unless you play mad amounts of games in your car. You also had a good idea going for the dual monitor setup when you upgrade the carpc. I would just go with the pci setup.

Good luck..

BTW, are you still selling the slot dvd with adapters? I'll give yah 65 shipped if you are.

Thanks!

i gave up on the adapter. I still have a dvdrom and I can get a hold of the adapter that sticks out. if you wanna save on shipping costs.

also, a 3 slot pci riser card is only 17 compared to 60 for a pci/agp riser combo =\

Comment

i just bought a pci/agp riser, $ 40 from gtweb.net

P.S. - Im going agp, but I have an r2 extreme additction so I have to have the best possible graphics card out there.... Even if you dont want the best card though, agp still offers alot more upgradeability for the future....

Comment

do youhave a link for the riser card?

Comment

Go for the Geforce!!! I have one in my main desktop pc - it was a standard gateway part before they folded in

Anyway - it's a great card, and cost me 135 to upgrade from a voodoo3. However, it doesn't do dual independant displays, but with TV Tool you can output the same data to the tv out and monitor out simultaneously. The geforce is a great card, but from memory they do suck power. Mine gets pretty hot after a GTA III session!

I'm putting an AGP Radeon card in my car pc so I can dual tv output with one monitor up front for GPS / MP3's and another couple of ps one screens at the back (we have a family of 6 so have an mpv style people carrier) for dvds on long journeys. Obviously I'm taking it slow, but I am planning on installing this eventually so decided to use the radeon based card.

In the end it's up to you - the Geforce is a DAMN good car. I'm getting a radeon eventually for about 35 which is pretty cheap for a agp dual view tv output card. I can strongly recommend the geforce - nvidia drivers and support are truely astounding.
                Mediabox Hardware Project
                Current Stage: A complete redesign, although not much happening right now!

Mediabox Software Project
                Status: Writing Sync Software (still) and playing around with interface
                To do: Far too much!

Comment

only bad thing is the card is dvi/tvout not crt so maybe it might be pci card?

Comment

Working...
                  X