Sharp 8.4" LCDs on eBay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharp 8.4" LCDs on eBay

I was going to continue the thread on buying an LCD, but for some reason it wouldn't let me, so... new topic.

Anyway, I'm just wondering which controller and cable kits those of you who purchased one of the screens are using. I'm also curious as to how well they are performing for you and if you are having any problems, etc. I'm thinking of getting one and want to figure out the total cost of the LCD + controller + misc cables. Oh, did anyone else notice that after only 4 of those sold at $40/ea, the seller re-listed them at $50/ea? You'd think after selling a whopping 4 of them they'd cut the price, not kick it up another notch...

gizmo is the only one on the board to have it working. i bought
    one but don't have a board yet. gizmo used the controller kit
    at flat-panel.com for $260. i was trying to find a cheaper solution but it sounds like this is the only way to go. octagonsystems has a pc104 inferface controller for it priced around $250, but the you still need the backlight inverter.
    i am still looking around. if you find anything please let me know.

-paul

Comment

does anyone know if this will work with the sharps.
      i need to hunt down if there is a cable though.
      http://www.jumptec.com/navi/lcd/sprint6.html

-paul

Comment

sharp has a decent faq here:
        http://www.sharpmeg.com/support/supp...l#tech_support

and a links page here:
        http://www.sharpmeg.com/products/lcd/lcd_links.html

Comment

Just reading through the description, it looks like that would work, but you will need a cable and backlight.

Im thinking I might sell mine <sniff, sniff> It works great, its just to big. I cant figure out where the hell to put it !

Gizmo-
          Techonlogy on Wheels
          http://www.hjnetworks.com/car

Comment

since this thread seems to be becoming a journal
            of my investigations into the sharp. i guess i'll keep it going...

well i have followed almost every link on the sharp controller
            page and have done other searches and still can't find
            any deal significantly better that flat-panel.com for the Sharp
            8.4". I have called several companines and distrinuters of lcd
            controllers and can't find anything better than the $260 deal
            at flat-panel. Now there many SBC (single board computers)
            that have LCD controllers built in that would work, but since
            those are pretty pricey (and i don't see any on ebay) i
            haven't considered those as an option.

if i do come up with something i will post it.
            stay tuned.
            paul

-paul

Comment

i think the Book PCs have LCD capability.

Comment

gizmo,
                that is my other problem. in order to fit that LCD in my truck,
                i am going to have to take out the heater/vent/AC control panel
                and move it somewhere else, which will probably me a task
                in and of itself. But i think the 8.4" would be much better than
                a 5" or 6". plus i don't know where i am oging to get a 6" color
                vga lcd for a reasonable price. this is turning into a big problem.
                i was looking at your pages and i really like your hardware, but
                have you thought about integraitng that LCD into your dash
                instead of having that mount sticking up?

-paul

Comment

Caviar, are you sure? do you have a link i could check that
                  out? that would be great it true......

Comment

Yeah, I really want to put the lcd in-dash, but it means I loose my head unit - and I really like my head unit.

I can fit a 6.4 to 6.8 indash, but I cant figure out where I could put an 8.4 .... maybe if I mooved the ac controles, but then I have to make a custom dash for it - thats a lot of work. And I really like being able to pull out my LCD when I have to park in the "bad part of town"
                    Gizmo-
                    Techonlogy on Wheels

Comment

maybe we could com up with an interface to control
                      the ac/heat via computer!!! then we could have auto climate
                      control!!

-paul

Comment

I was thinking of the idea of controlling the Heater/AC throught the computer. However, if your computer crashes and it's cold out...you're gonna freeze your a** off.

I had the exact problem with the screen and had to move the AC controls. They were moved onto the ceiling to make room for a 6.4" TS..which would be the same as a 8.4".

Comment

plaiming2,

sorry dude, my bad.
                          i went back to the shop and it says you can hook up a lcd flat panel not a barebone lcd.
                          i read it on the fly, so it was only a quick glance.

Comment

You know, there were some 12" bare USB touch-screen LCDs with VGA input on eBay the other day for like $350. So I'm sorta thinking I'm gonna skip the Sharp display for now and hope that when I really want to blow $300 on a display for the car, I'll find a deal like that. Plus I have a composite-in LCD on the way that I'm gonna play with for a while first.

Comment

I have a bookmark of a site somewhere, a guy talkes briefly about removing the ac controles, and hooking them to the pc.

I have been looking into this for a while, I just dont have much free time to play with it right now. but here are some factors :

1. Old cars use a lot of manual controles ( push rods, and vents and stuff) new cars use switches and POTS to controle stuff. The new stuff would be a lot easier to manipulate. Push rods would require some sort of actuator or servo.

2. As previously mentioned, you dont want the pc crashing to mean the end of your AC,

3. After you move them, you still have to plug up the holes , or make a new dash, and depending on your set-up, you might need to pick a new home for the controles.

So far, my idea is : A Basic stamp.

They are tiny computers that have a serial or parallel interface to the pc, but they have there own ram and can operate indipendantly of the pc.

So, it would be pretty easy to hook up a Basic stamp to the ac / heater controles, throw in a temp sensor, and write the code for the stamp to control everything. and when you had the pc turned on, it could also relay the data to the pc, or allow the pc to adjust the tempature and stuff.

I have big plans for my stamp, I want it to control the door locks, the windows, interface with the alarm.... it just takes time.
                              Gizmo-
                              Techonlogy on Wheels

Comment

Working...
                              X