long ide cable-update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long ide cable-update

just was wondering about those who have long ide cables and how they are working now. i'm at that point now of deciding dvd placement. i searched and really didnt see any final results...only plans

thanks!
    99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

ok so this is an update on what?

Comment

http://www.lesliex317537.com/

This guy did a 15' cable. Claims it works just fine. Took me all of about 23 seconds to find using the search button.

Rob
      Old Systems retired due to new car
      New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

it works

I had a 15' IDE cable and it worked with my setup. I then sold it and bought a IDE to Firewire converter (about $60). This is a super slick adapter. Firewire uses way less system resources and it was super easy to hook up on Win98

Nathan

Comment

...he searched... found people had plans to install the extended length ide cables. since that time, no one has posted a difinative answer on whether or not these cable have worked when installed in the car. he is looking for confirmation that these cables work... an UPDATE on someone else progress on this.

~mike
          Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
          PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
          2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Ok well I'm working on this same thing right now. I was at work the other day (as I am now) and tried to make an IDE cable out of some spare ribbon cable that we had laying around. I think in the end I made it more like 22 feet instead of 15 and I'm pretty sure it's much too long. I tested it in my computer and during the POST screen it does reconize my CD burner. When I got into windows tho it crashed on finding new hardware (Win 2k)(with gibberish as the hardware name) so I quit out of that. I went into my comptuer to look if it was there and there were no CD rom's listed . I think that two things contributed to my downfall.
            1) the cable was simply too long
            2) it wasn't properly shielded

Right now I am on IDE cable 2.0. This time I am taking just about 6 inches of IDE cable and then soldering Cat5 on the end of them. From there I am putting the cat 5 into female plugs. This way I can do this in a much more modular way in the car, just make Cat 5 extension cables to the lenght in the car and cut them there, much much neater. I don't know if this is going to work and soldering 82 cables (actually more like 110 cause I'm doing EVERYTHING over cat 5 for this ease of install) takes a VERY long time. I was up till 5am yesterday and I think I might have gotten about 1/4 of them done. Tonight is another night which I have to work on it and hopefully I'll get them all done and tested. (I am using a contuinity tester to see if the solders worked, so this might be part of my downfall timewise).

BEN

Comment

thanks to the last guys who can read and responded more maturely. i think i'll try the extended cable.
              99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Just try the Firewire converter

I would really encourage people to try the Firewire converter.

This works excellet for my DVD drive, and it took less than 10 minutes to install. Time is valuable, and probably would payoff to just get the firwire converter (IDE to Firewire)

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by saabmp3
                  Ok well I'm working on this same thing right now. I was at work the other day (as I am now) and tried to make an IDE cable out of some spare ribbon cable that we had laying around. I think in the end I made it more like 22 feet instead of 15 and I'm pretty sure it's much too long. I tested it in my computer and during the POST screen it does reconize my CD burner. When I got into windows tho it crashed on finding new hardware (Win 2k)(with gibberish as the hardware name) so I quit out of that. I went into my comptuer to look if it was there and there were no CD rom's listed . I think that two things contributed to my downfall.
                  1) the cable was simply too long
                  2) it wasn't properly shielded

Right now I am on IDE cable 2.0. This time I am taking just about 6 inches of IDE cable and then soldering Cat5 on the end of them. From there I am putting the cat 5 into female plugs. This way I can do this in a much more modular way in the car, just make Cat 5 extension cables to the lenght in the car and cut them there, much much neater. I don't know if this is going to work and soldering 82 cables (actually more like 110 cause I'm doing EVERYTHING over cat 5 for this ease of install) takes a VERY long time. I was up till 5am yesterday and I think I might have gotten about 1/4 of them done. Tonight is another night which I have to work on it and hopefully I'll get them all done and tested. (I am using a contuinity tester to see if the solders worked, so this might be part of my downfall timewise).

BEN
                  Whoa, that sounds like an undertaking, and are you using a 40pin (5 cat5's) or an 80ping (10 cat5s!!) for the basis? I dont know if it was here on on the [h], but a bored tech with too much time and resouces on thier hands made some looong ide cables, and had a system booting of a hd that was on a 15ft+ cable if memory serves (and a cdrom working off a 25ft+ cable). This being done with all the proper tools, and in a is dept (not the emi disaster zone of a car).
                  -Nick

Comment

I'm only using 40 pin IDE cable (I don't need ATA100, this is only a DVD drive). I'm working on my updates and I'll post them in a couple of hours.

BEN

Comment

I just finished a 20-25 foot ide cable, and it does not work. I used some 50 pin telephone cable that i had around, and grounded 10 random wires, used the rest to crimp into an ide connector. I do not know much about this cable, but i would say it is probably the same or less sheilded than the cat5.

Any other ide success stories?
                      System in the works:
                      Celeron 850 or PIII 933, SB Live! Value into a stock 4 channel amp, ATI vid, 10.4" sharp LCD w/ allen's controller, Elo SW touchscreen overlay and controller, GPS, TV tuner, FW DVD drive, 4 port serial card, and some other stuff....

Loads of ideas.

Comment

why not just get a usb to ide converter? or maybe firewire to ide (like someone said before). I found a usb cable online that will let you get up to a 60 foot usb cable with no probs, why wouldn't you want to use that? You should even be able to boot off of it with the usb version.
                        sv24, 733mhz celeron, 80gig hd, 5.6" MA Audio tft, x10 remote, RF Keyboard.

Comment

claylong,
                          by grounding 10 random wires you eleminated the shelding effect of the wire,
                          the reason that cat 5 stays interfearcence rissistant is that each pair of wires are twisted so that they pass thru the same interfearence fields, and the fact that each pair is just that, a pair one is the signal wire and the other is the ground. If you split the pairs(by using random wires as grounds and others as signal) you eliminate the self cancelling effect of the cable. This could be the reason it failed. I wonder if some of it has to do with the MOBO, if some boards put out stronger signals on the ide channle or have better descrimination in the recive side of the controller.
                          hrmmmmm.
                          Justin Stiltner
                          Truck :1993 Ford Ranger Splash 4.0L
                          System : Pioneer HU and Factory replacement speakers
                          Puter :Pentium OCed to 133Mhz and win 95 with a whistler power inverter and crystalfontz 20x4 lcd(soon to be motorized) and winamp
                          Comms Gear: Cobra 25WXST, K40 whip, Silver Streak 175, Radioshack Hyperscan Pro-2045
                          95 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS: FOR SALE!!! $4000
                          95 Egeal Talon Tsi AWD: Project car boostin 15 psi.

Comment

Topic edited.

THEMP3KID: Please stop and count to 30 before you post, and try to refrain from making stupid and pointless comments. How have you not learned this yet?

Everyone else: If he says something that you don't agree with, ignore it. Flames from EITHER SIDE will not be tolerated.
                            Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                            Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                            "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Originally posted by jstiltner
                              claylong,
                              by grounding 10 random wires you eleminated the shelding effect of the wire,
                              the reason that cat 5 stays interfearcence rissistant is that each pair of wires are twisted so that they pass thru the same interfearence fields, and the fact that each pair is just that, a pair one is the signal wire and the other is the ground. If you split the pairs(by using random wires as grounds and others as signal) you eliminate the self cancelling effect of the cable. This could be the reason it failed. I wonder if some of it has to do with the MOBO, if some boards put out stronger signals on the ide channle or have better descrimination in the recive side of the controller.
                              hrmmmmm.
                              this is a very good comment on why that cable probably didnt work... cat5 twisted pairs are 1-wire grounded, UDMA cables are 80-wire, every other wire grounded. there has to be some sort of rhyme or reason to the grounding scheme that you are going to use... if you just randomly ground wires... all you are doing is grounding wires... nothing more. the data wires are still interfering with each other....

i am planning on making a long cable for my slim/slot dvd that i want to put in my dash (if i ever get around to doing some work on this evil project) i believe that if you do use the cat 5 correctly, then this solution is possible...

telephone cable will not work for data transmission, since there is no wire-wire shielding... it will work for power transmission for switches and leds...

~Mike
                              Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
                              PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
                              2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Working...
                              X