recommended cheaper older mobos for m2atx to run on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommended cheaper older mobos for m2atx to run on

I've found alot of free stuff on Craigslist but finding the right board hasn't been easy since I've been lookin for one without the p4 power requirement. I know the m2 atx supports the p4 but from what I"m understanding it closes the gap on how much you can run on the mobo before you max out the wattage draw..

Can anyone advise me on what low power boards running atleast 800 mhz or faster I can look for that have the p4 power connector on it ? or a board without the p4 connector on it ???

I thought I saw a list here but I can't seem to find it...

Cheers...

Originally posted by ludikris View Post
    I've found alot of free stuff on Craigslist but finding the right board hasn't been easy since I've been lookin for one without the p4 power requirement. I know the m2 atx supports the p4 but from what I"m understanding it closes the gap on how much you can run on the mobo before you max out the wattage draw..

Can anyone advise me on what low power boards running atleast 800 mhz or faster I can look for that have the p4 power connector on it ? or a board without the p4 connector on it ???

I thought I saw a list here but I can't seem to find it...

Cheers...
    UH, giving you a list of non P4 800mhz board would be akin to telling you the names of all vehicles that have 4 cylinder engines. There are TOO MANY to mention.

Unfortunately, you have to do the work, and check the specs of each FREE motherboard (there probably aren;t even that many that are FREE on craigslist) you find, to see if they meet the specs. The truth is that the MB doesn;t matter as much as the CPU, so anything that will run a Pentium 3 should be fine, GENERALLY.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

I think this will work ok.... but I'd love some feedback.. ahem... spoon feed anyone ???

MSI 845GVM-L (P4,MicroATX)
      celeron 2.0 ghz
      512mb ram
      usb 2.o onboard x4
      lan onboard
      ac97 6 channel audio onboard
      vga onboard

gonna run dvd slim drive, gps, keyboard, touchscreen all off the usb 2.0 hub

Comment

I think this will work ok.... but I'd love some feedback.. ahem... spoon feed anyone ???

MSI 845GVM-L (P4,MicroATX)
        celeron 2.0 ghz
        512mb ram
        usb 2.o onboard x4
        lan onboard
        ac97 6 channel audio onboard
        vga onboard

gonna run dvd slim drive, gps, keyboard, touchscreen all off the usb 2.0 hub
        Here is the spoon, open wide, http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ght=calculator and http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ght=calculator

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

... ok.. so I am using the calculator and one is putting me at 157 watts the other at 151... so, Am I pushing it too close to the 160 watt available power the m2 atx puts out ?

I found another one too.. and it's an amd a7v133 with a duron 800 mhz but only has two usb 1.1 ports...

My question now is can I run the touchscreen interface, gps, slimdrive dvdrw
          and keyboard off the 2 usb 1.1 ports ....

Thanks

Comment

... ok.. so I am using the calculator and one is putting me at 157 watts the other at 151... so, Am I pushing it too close to the 160 watt available power the m2 atx puts out ?

I found another one too.. and it's an amd a7v133 with a duron 800 mhz but only has two usb 1.1 ports...

My question now is can I run the touchscreen interface, gps, slimdrive dvdrw
            and keyboard off the 2 usb 1.1 ports ....

Thanks
            1.1 is not a problem, and you use a USB Hub.

Michael

Comment

ok.. so, i run one usb cable to the front and use a 6 port hub...

this makes me wonder about the pros cons with 2.0 vs 1.0...

I am kinda surprised I can run all that off of one port split up into a 6 port hub.... can someone humour me...

Comment

ok.. so, i run one usb cable to the front and use a 6 port hub...

this makes me wonder about the pros cons with 2.0 vs 1.0...

I am kinda surprised I can run all that off of one port split up into a 6 port hub.... can someone humour me...
                Dude, you are gonna have to learn how to search this forum, and google for information. No one should be doing your work for you.

read this http://www.everythingusb.com/forums/...p?threadid=798

And yes, you can use a 6 port hub, as long as you do not exceed the amperage available on that USB plug, which is very low. You will therefore have to use a POWERED USB Hub, and then power it somehow. The easiest way is with your M2, or with a different dedicated PS for the hub. THERE ARE NUMEROUS THREADS ABOUT POWERING A USB HUB on this board.

At this point,, I got to pull the spoon out. Hate to say it, but when I am nice, and try and help, it just encourages more and more questions for which you should have searched in the first place.

If you are new to computers, then you need to get a lot more information before you undertake this hobby. The way to gain that is not to ask question after question, it is to search and , and ask questions about the stuff you don't understand.

Michael

EDIT: Actually, you should read this as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Comment

Working...
                X