Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I get smoke smell out of a computer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I get smoke smell out of a computer?

Is there a way I can the the smell of burning building out of my computer? It was involved in a fire and the computer and monitor still run well, but it smells atrocious when its on. I am going to take the computer apart and try to clean the inside of the case, but I would like to clean the electronics as well. How is this done without damaging them? I'd like to eventually use this in my car, but I don't want my car smelling like a forest fire. Its a nice computer (not a half year old even. . .p4 3.0 hyperthreading w/serial ata hd) and it would be a shame for it to go to waste b/c of the smell.
    Celeron 2.53 Ghz Processor
    512M ddr memory
    Mimo 7" USB Display
    XM Direct Tuner
    mp3car.com XM Direct USB interface box

1999 Mustang GT Convertible Supercharged

a few cans of compressed air and foam qtip style cleaners. windex. new fans. new PSU.

take everything out. of case.

windex out case.

compressed air clean the components.

install new fans.

install new PSU.

that'd be my suggestions

Comment

I'd yank the components out of the case,and put the case in the sink with some warm soapy water.....as for the components themselves,take 'em outside and spray them down with a can of contact cleaner.(You can find it at any decent electronics parts house)You'll have a nice clean 'puter without having to replace any parts.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

I didn't think about contact cleaner. Thanks!
        512M ddr memory
        Mimo 7" USB Display
        XM Direct Tuner

Comment

Alright, I cleaned all of the components. Used contact cleaner on the mobo, and it is better. I put it in another case I had laying around (an old inwin case w/ a 350 watt psu), but the motherboard connector was a little different. The inwin had the standard 20 pin atx connector and an extra 4 pin atx connector with 2 yellow and 2 black wires. Both of these were in the old case for the computer, but the old case also had another 4 pin atx type connector with black, yellow, red, and orange wires that slid onto the 20 pin connector. It pluged into a large 24 pin atx connector on the motherboard. I plugged the 20 pin connector fromt the inwin case into this slot making note of wire colors as they compared to the original case, and it worked. What are the extra 4 wires for in the original case (red, black, yellow, orange that slides onto the atx connector)?
          512M ddr memory
          Mimo 7" USB Display
          XM Direct Tuner

Comment

Working...
          X