Finding a 800x480 video card.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a 800x480 video card.

I have a xenarc 700tsv which is currently running @ 800x600 from my onboard geforce 6100.

as it turns out, i dont think my onboard video will do 800x480.

as it turns out, I'm in the market for a new video card as I'd like one with RCA video out (is that called composite?)

So I go to the egg and start doing research to find the cheapest card that has RCA video out and will do 800x600. Neweggs site doesnt show the resolution. It seems that every ATI card that I look up doesnt support 800x480(from ATI web site). and nvidia doesnt list their resolutions.

What's the best way to find a cheap card that does 800x480 with RCA video out?

i always thought that all nvidia cards support 800x480, i currently have a Geforce 4 MX4000 in my car with my xenarc 700tsv and it works great, I just had to use a program called PowerStrip to add 800x480 to the cards avalible resolutions. try searching for that program, there is a setup guide for xenarc monitors with all the settings you need in the program. As far as I know your not going to find a Nvidia card that has RCA out only DVi VGA or S-video.. but i may be wrong on that one.

Comment

cool, thanks. I'll look for powerstrip

Comment

bes51659 gathered a list of all the cards capable of 800x480 from this thread
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...=quest+800+480

Here is his list
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ght=msi+mx4000

I ended up getting the MSI MX4000 from Amazon for $28.43 and it works. I think i like 800x600 better but I'll keep the card anyway.

Comment

i use 6100 too
          you don't need PowerStrip, just go to screen resolutions & refresh rate setting windows

uncheck "Hide Mode that this monitor cannot support"

and add custom resultion.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2000 View Post
            i use 6100 too
            you don't need PowerStrip, just go to screen resolutions & refresh rate setting windows

uncheck "Hide Mode that this monitor cannot support"

and add custom resultion.
            what you are saying is not possible in Windows as easily as you speak of. . . hide modes this monitor can not display is a good thing. . . you do not want to set it to a res that will not work. . . there is no option to add a " Custom " dispaly in windows. . . . if yours has this. . . then it is a feature of the driver.. . ..
            I say go with power strip. . . . . .i myself am running 800 by 600 on a 800 by 480 screen.. . . .and sdo not notice any problems. . . .i wonder how much better it would look .. . . with 8 by 4.8
            Ebay Carputer support forum and show off thread

Comment

Originally posted by toxiclows View Post
              what you are saying is not possible in Windows as easily as you speak of. . . hide modes this monitor can not display is a good thing. . . you do not want to set it to a res that will not work. . . there is no option to add a " Custom " dispaly in windows. . . . if yours has this. . . then it is a feature of the driver.. . ..
              I say go with power strip. . . . . .i myself am running 800 by 600 on a 800 by 480 screen.. . . .and sdo not notice any problems. . . .i wonder how much better it would look .. . . with 8 by 4.8
              Actually it should work, and you are correct this is a feature of driver. My CarPC is sitting in the corner of my office in pieces right now, but I'm pretty sure Nvidia cards have this option. If not, just download the latest driver. I'm using a XFX low profile 6200 in my HTPC and I am able to put in custom resolutions. Unchecking "hide modes" should not hurt, Windows usually hides these because it doesn't recognize your monitor (which i think the Xenarc is one of) and only shows the standard resolutions. If you know the specs of you monitor and customize the resolution for it that's fine, that's what I had to do for my HTPC connected to an Olevia HDTV.

As for getting composite out, you can alwasy use a s-video to composite adapter since almost all cards come with s-video now. These are cheap BTW.

Comment

Working...
              X