Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another inverter question.

Hello everyone,

Im new to the whole carputer concept. I have looked up this forum, it has helped me allot.

I finally decided to use a 12V(DC) to 230V(AC) inverter (300W). Then use a normal PC power supply (300W) who will bring the 230V(AC) signal, back to 12V(DC).

My ciggaretelighter powers ON and OFF when I switch the ignition, so I can use that for booting up the PC.

The ciggareteholder has a 10A fuse.

1* How much power (W) can I use max?
    2* What will happen with the PC when I turn the ignition OFF? Will it shut down, or completely shut off?
    3* How can I prevent it from shutting off? I want it to to calmy shut down, however, when power is gone how can it still run??

Thank you for your time.

why using an inverter first of all? need that much power?

the questions you ask would all be null and void by using a DC-DC PSU.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Yes I need more power, I will be using the inverter not only for the pc but also for charging my cellphone/laptop(work) and touchscreen.

Comment

I'd wire the TS into the car....depending on what kind it is...Lilliput or Xenarc or some other?

One way to get more power is to double up on the PSUs. It's been done successfully with the M series PSUs (M1/M2).

Generally, inverters are noisy, messy to install, a pain to use, etc.

How the inverter will act depends on if your cigarette lighter is on constant or ignition. If it's on ignition, the power will be cut to the PC when you pull the key. If it's on constant, you will run your battery down unless you sit and wait for the PC to shut down then turn off the inverter before you exit the vehicle.

The DC-DC PSUs out there have these features built in. They sense the key being pulled and time the shut-down for the computer accordingly. Same with the start-up feature.

I would recomend running your CarPC strictly off of a DC-DC PSU and powering everything else you're wanting to power off of a dedicated car charger for each (car charger for the cell phone, and a car charger for the laptop), else, you can run the inverter for those items only.
        Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Thanks, ill look into a DC regulator.

But how does the DC regulator know the vehicle is turned off.
          Do you have to connect wires from the ignition to the regulator?
          If the answer is yes, can you also use other wires/apllications(like a cigarette holder) that turns ON/OFF same as your ignition.

Comment

it's a DC-DC PSU. You can find them here: http://store.mp3car.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=22

A DC regulator alone will not include the start-up and shut-down featres that the typical DC-DC PSU will include.

The DC-DC PSUs tie into your ignition. When the key is pulled a signal is sent to them. When they sense the ignition turned on they recieve a signal to turn the PC on.

There are a NUMBER of tutorials on this site that outline how to wire them up. They even come with directions.
            Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
            X