Pentium Pro specs..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentium Pro specs..

I can't seem to find what I am looking for.. perhaps you have the knowledge... I would like to know if a Pentium Pro 180, overclocked to 200mhz, is as good or better than a Pentium 200MMX, running at normal speed.... also, do you know if a PPro draws more power than a normal pentium I.... DON"T JUST TELL ME TO SEARCH!!! I HAVE!!!

Okay, another Q... how do I know if my graphics card is also am LCD controller card?? like, it has LCD out.. lol... What sorta socket would I see... (okay, this is sounding way to "simple")
    2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
    register another account and you're gone for good.

PPro's are actually similar to P2's...
    http://www.geek.com/procspec/intel/pentiump.htm (Fifth result on Google. Search better.)

They have great 32-bit performance, but sucky 16-bit performance. On most stuff nowadays, it'll be faster. Back when it was released (pre-Windows 95), it wasn't too impressive on the majority of apps...

Comment

Re: Pentium Pro specs..

Originally posted by THEMP3KID
      Okay, another Q... how do I know if my graphics card is also am LCD controller card?? like, it has LCD out.. lol... What sorta socket would I see... (okay, this is sounding way to "simple")
      there are too many possibilities for a lcd controller card. some have 31-pin hirose connections, some have a coupl3 of 2x(some number) headers. most likely it is NOT an lcd controller. if anything, it might be a DVI capable card....if it has a VGA out connnection... it is probably not an lcd controller like the allenruble or digitalview cards....

how 'bout you post a model number of some sort so someone can tell you the true answer.

~mike
      Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
      PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
      2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Re: Re: Pentium Pro specs..

Originally posted by mp3z24

there are too many possibilities for a lcd controller card. some have 31-pin hirose connections, some have a coupl3 of 2x(some number) headers. most likely it is NOT an lcd controller. if anything, it might be a DVI capable card....if it has a VGA out connnection... it is probably not an lcd controller like the allenruble or digitalview cards....

how 'bout you post a model number of some sort so someone can tell you the true answer.

~mike
        What would a DVI socket look like, and what can I do with it?? I know I should search, but am kinda busy right now...

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Pentium Pro specs..

What would a DVI socket look like, and what can I do with it?? I know I should search, but am kinda busy right now...
          so your busy and expect other ppl to do your work for you! ha!! thats funny.....
          Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

Actually, no, I figured most, or some of ya would know.. :P

Comment

pentium pro moved the cache onboard the processor chip and ran it at full cpu bus speed . as far as i know they did not have the extra mmx commands .
              Volvo V40 Phase 2 2002. T4 turbo upgrade.... currently no mp3 or carputer..... researching options

Comment

mmx was a regular pentium with mmx commands....
                pentium pro = pentium II without mmx commands
                pentium II = with mmx commands....
                mp4runner.com

Comment

Okay, now a REALLY hard question.. which should I use in teh car?? The P200MMX... OR the PPro180...

Comment

i vote for the mmx, less power consumtion. and multimedia extensions (wow)
                    mp4runner.com

Comment

Yeah, i thought the MMX, but it actually seems to generate more heat.... also, it has a MUCH smaller heatsink, About 1/4 the size... :P The P200MMX is in a smaller motherboard, but this isn't a concern as I have PLENTY of room in the car... The PPro seemed to run Halflife better, but was shocking at DIVX, (whereas the P200MMX could almost do it (DOS)) The PPro is in an ACER computer in an abnormal case, which means it is the only case I can use it in, and it does have both a PS2 keyboard and mouse sockets (on board)... which would be good for in the car..... Hmm.... The PPro doesn't seem like it can be made to boot without a keyboard, but I was planning on having a full keyboard in teh car... The PMMX has USB though, (although I don't have any usb devices) ANYWAY!!!! Ya...

Comment

Use which ever one is better for your needs. and a DVI (digital video interface) is squarish, with a square matrix of pins. dvi-i outputs both an analouge (can be used on a db15 monitor with an adapter) and digital signal (to be used with a digital flat panel, reduces the noise introduced by going digital>analog>digital), dvi-a, which only outputs a analog signa (which ive never seen used, only spec'd) and dvi-d, which only outputs a digital signal.

and about 3/10ths of a second of searching on google gave me this picture:
                        DVI-I:
                        -Nick

Comment

Well, thats not what it looks like.. it looks like a high density 25pin socket the size of a normal joystick port, but with 25pins...

Comment

Well, thats not what it looks like.. it looks like a high density 25pin socket the size of a normal joystick port, but with 25pins...
                            [RANT]
                            how bout you get off your ***, stop having people do the work for you, and look up the specs on the card...

yeah, this kooky internet place is laden with information, albeit, most is useless, but somewhere out there is useful information.

since you obviously HAVE the card in front of you, you know what brand/model it is... how bout you let someone know what you are refering to rather than give them a vague description of the stuff.

[/RANT]

~mike
                            Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
                            PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
                            2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

Comment

Heh, mp3z24 has a good point, and ive never seen a 2 row (you said joystick) video connector with 25 pins, which rules out vga, dvi, mac, and sun.
                              -Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X