Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue LEDs under seats

Ok, in my new Paseo I'm getting tommorow,
    I think it would be really cool if I could put some Blue LEDs under the seats for indirect lighting. I would run them off the computers power supply, but its gonna be a while before I get that in, and I would like to set them up to be on when the car is on.

I would like to use
    these

The put out 10000 milli-candela at 20ma they cost 3.19$ a piece
    Or I can get ones that put out 3000mcd for 2.90$
    They are both 5.5 volt.

Do you think the 10000mcd are to bright? They will be going under the seats.

also, how do I step down 12volts from the battery to the 5volts needed for the LEDs? Wouldn't I have to worry about surges aswell? how could this be done? I'm not very good with electronics so please try to explain stuff.
    Clarion 200watt head unit w/ Aux in.
    Kicker 800watt 4 channel amp
    In a 96 Grand Prix SE.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong LEDs but the ones you linked to have a vf or 3.5 volts (about right for blue LEDs) not 5.5v

You should be able to get by without a regulator as long as you calculate the resistor value for the worst case ie say 13volts from the battery.

Have a look at my LED page for information on resistor values

Rob

PS, You should know better and use the search button, the following where all posted in the last few days.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...&threadid=8841
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...&threadid=8874
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...&threadid=8822
    And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
    www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
    Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

I have two blue licence plate covers 1 under each seat from Streetglow in my 91 firebird work pretty good not sure if thats what ya lookin for but can check it out at StreetGlow i purchased them from JC Whitney they will send you a free magazine
      just my 2cents
      Case built and working
      Amptron 586 motherboard onboard snd/vid/lan (purchased)
      200mmx processor (already have)
      5g harddrive (already have)
      Two 4x40 lcds (future)

Comment

by the by is 20mA the standard current for leds? does it varry much depending on colour brightness ect?

and for the hat-trick - how bright is 1000mcd ?
        [SIZE=1]'91 Nissan Stanza

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] XX% Completed -
        Car Totaled and i bought a 20G mp3 player

http://machs-fuel.tk
        a DIY video projector page

Comment

20mA is pretty much standard, but it does varry, depends on color voltage drop, & brightness. Energy vs percieved brightness is not uniform accross the visual spectrum, did a science fair project based on it, but that was about 10 years ago, so I can tell you much more, wow actually did something of use at school.

As for 1000mcd I have no idea.
          And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
          www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
          Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

the ones on the front of your computer are probably 500-1000 mcd.

10,000 is hella bright.
            www.arbybean.com

Comment

I wouldn't put LED's for indirect lighting. They are like lasers and most of them emit a straight type of beam.

If I were you, I would choose a set of nice cold cathode pc tubes. They are brighter than neon and smaller and come premaid with molex connectors.
              SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
              GPSing - Digital Speedo
              Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
              Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Originally posted by LESLIEx317537
                I wouldn't put LED's for indirect lighting. They are like lasers and most of them emit a straight type of beam.

If I were you, I would choose a set of nice cold cathode pc tubes. They are brighter than neon and smaller and come premaid with molex connectors.
                good idea..... you mean like the ones meant for sub-boxes etc? I was gonna put a 12Inch blue stick one behind my front grille on my swift.... would give an awesome look at night I reckon.... they are fairly cheap too.... rice things up a bit!

the lighting under the seats seems like a good idea tho.... might havta consider that too.....
                Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

Yes Cold Cathode tubes are pretty new.

I have one inside my trunk inside my Plexiglas case and it lights the whole trunk up. People always wonder why my trunk glows blue when I pop it to show them the computer in the trunk.

I picked up a blue 4" for 20 buks shipped. Thing is the best. I have neons under my dashboard and they are not quite as bright as the Cathode. I got pictures of the neons in my Prelude on my website. Take a look.
                  SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                  GPSing - Digital Speedo
                  Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
                  Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

Originally posted by magnetik

would give an awesome look at night I reckon.... they are fairly cheap too.... rice things up a bit!
                    I've been considering it too, but I am debating the rice factor. That is pretty much the last thing my truck represents...Redneck if anything I like to think... I agree that ground lights look really sweet at night. Nothing like making your car look like its floating on air. Sweet stuff...but does it turn you into white/rice trash?? Depends on those that judge you I guess...

PoBoy
                    I'm a ghost...email me if you have any questions on my old setup

My way outdated website: http://www.poboytech.net

FYI: I sold my 96 4Runner and bought a 1985

Comment

Working...
                    X