XM Radio restarts my computer... HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM Radio restarts my computer... HELP

Hi Everyone, I've had my carputer for a few years and the XM was working perfectly fine.

Then one day it stopped working. I assumed that the XM direct box thing was fried so I bought another. I hooked everything up and it worked. Next day I go to the car and try to listen with no luck. Streetdeck couldn't find it and Centrafuse did nothing. So I took everything out of the car to diagnose in the house.

Now I've noticed that the thing will work, for a little when connected to a COM or USB to Serial port but then eventually it will just restart the computer. I remade the xm cable and checked that the nothing is touching. I have the XM power connected to my power supply (M2-atx) and in the house a reg 300watt PS.

Any suggestions of why this is restarting my computer and why it keeps hanging? I've searched and tried using XMRESTART but doesn't seem to work. I hooked the XM to my laptop and it will restart the laptop too using the serial to usb connector. I've also used the frodo program too.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone?

So I went ahead and remade the wire and everything worked okay. I proceeded to hook everything back into the car and now Streetdeck, Centrafuse and Frodo do not recognize any XM.

The computer still will restart for no reason.

This is annoying. HELP!!!

Comment

Doesn't look like anyone is going to respond. Try contacting XM tech support.
      Check out my GMC Savana worklog.

Remaining tasks to facilitate vanputer installation codename "Enterprise":
      - Edit skin to liking.
      - Get compatible phone for mobilephone.net.
      - Facilitate HVAC control.

Comment

well Ididnt want to contact XM since this seems like a TOS violation (using it improperly with the cable) so don't think they would help.

What I'm thinking is that it might be my power source. I got it all working again this morning and then moved the cable and it stopped working. So I'm thinking that its intermidetely losing power. I'll hardwire to the car and see if that makes a difference. I remade the cable twice so that has to be the last thing.

For some reason the old XM reciever died, I was wondering if it was because of the power problem. I wonder if I can get it covered under warranty? Doubt but ya.

Comment

Best way to diagnose this problem is the same way mechanics diagnose car problems. You have to start out with the simplest cause then work your way up.

You said you connected it to your laptop? What were you powering it when then?

Basically, there are three main categories which would cause problems like this. The computer itself, the cable, and finally the reciever.

Since it does this on multiple computers, there is a good chance the problem is something else besides the computer.

You said you remade the cable twice so that's also unlikely.

Guess what is left? The unit itself.

- Edit skin to liking.

Comment

Also, does your power source give any of your other devices problems?

- Edit skin to liking.

Comment

I'm thinking that its the power going to the receiver. I bought new connectors and will connect the 12 volt directly from the battery (amp and computer from power splitter) and see if that helps. This can only be it.

I know its not the receiver because this is the second one. Its not the computer so its either the cable (which I doubt) or the power (which I think it is). I will wire it all up tomorrow.

I powered up the receiver before with my spare ATX power supply.

Now there seems to be another problem... computer keeps locking up. Never ending.

Comment

Working...
              X