Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive enclosures

Hello,

I'm not looking to add a full computer to my car. Don't have the time, money or need.

What I am looking to do, is get a headunit that has a USB input for a mass storage device, and rather than use something like a thumb drive, use a hard drive. I've been trying to find something that will allow me to this. Basically, what I need:

Some sort of enclosure. Something that's easily removable so I can plug it into my computer to load music. I'm thinking something along the lines of something similar to removeable drive bays in servers and such where I don't have to mess around with IDE and power cables, it just slides in and out. In fact, if it was DIN, that would be awesome, because my car is double-din and I could put the HD right under my headunit.
    Some sort of way to plug into my car's power. I guess some sort of adapter or inverter would be needed.

As far as the hard drive it uses, I could care less. 2.5, 3.5, IDE, SATA, doesn't matter to me. I don't have any extra hard drives laying around my house that would even hold half my music collection, so I'd have to buy a new drive anyways, so size or interface doesn't matter. A 2.5" probably could be bus powered (assuming these headunits put out enough power on the USB port to actually power a drive) which would be handy, but I'd be surprised if anything remotely close to what I want exists, so I won't be choosy.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Might look at the Pioneer HUs (Pioneer_man has been on here stating that their HUs can read an external HDD.

Any external HDD case would work for what you need. A HDD takes 12v, but I'm sure it needs to be regulated.

Just buy an external hard drive and be done with it. No need to buy a drive then an external case for it if you don't already have the drive.
    USB probably wont have the needed power for the drive. IIRC, they only put out about a half a volt down the USB line by standards.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
      Might look at the Pioneer HUs (Pioneer_man has been on here stating that their HUs can read an external HDD.

Any external HDD case would work for what you need. A HDD takes 12v, but I'm sure it needs to be regulated.

Just buy an external hard drive and be done with it. No need to buy a drive then an external case for it if you don't already have the drive.
      USB probably wont have the needed power for the drive. IIRC, they only put out about a half a volt down the USB line by standards.
      Thanks.

I've seen some 2.5" drives that run off bus power (I know LaCie makes them, I'm sure others do too) but I just don't know if a headunit puts out that kind of power or not. What would be the best way to get power to the drive if I don't go with a bus powered option? Would a cheap Autozone cigarette lighter to AC outlet inverter work?

Comment

it would. thing is, there are USB standards. You can't call it USB without adhering to the standards. If they are calling it USB, they have to provide.
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
        X