Anyone Have a link or Information about CPU VOLTAGE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Have a link or Information about CPU VOLTAGE

Well, I have been searching high and low trying to find some information about what Voltage supplies the CPU on a MB. I am not talking abnout VCore and that kind of thing. Speicfically, if a CPU is 67 watts, where is that wattage being taken from, 12 volt of 5 volt rail.

In particular, I am looking for info about the AMD Athlon XP 2000+

Thanks,
    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Like this?

http://myplc.com/sony/docs/amd_processor_reference.html

Comment

Originally posted by crooper View Post
      NOPE, that talks about VCore. I want to know where the VCore voltage comes from. Also, I believe that there are other voltages used by the CPU, and I am curious what voltage the cpu uses. I have heard that some use the 5 volt rail, and others use the 12 volt rails, but I have not found anything definitive except vague references to some CPU causing sag on the 5 volt, and sometimes on the 12v, rail.

Michael
      ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Michael, try looking through this database.
        For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
        Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
        Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

I am not very familiar with the details, but I know that there's on-board DC-DC circuitry that generates Vcore - and it's that converter that would draw from the 12v or 5v rail. I wouldn't expect the processor to actually be use the 5v or 12v rail directly - the voltage that a particular IC is designed to operate at is determined mainly by the fabrication process (gate thicknesses, device sizes, etc) and so it seems unusual that part of it would operate on less than 2v and another part on 5 or 12v. This is supported by the fact that raising or lowering Vcore has a direct, dramatic effect on the power consumption of a processor - if the processor were drawing power _directly_ from the 5v and 12v rails as well, then changing Vcore wouldn't make nearly as much of a difference.
          And, of course, higher-density, higher-speed devices (such as processors) always run on relatively low voltages - the more transistors you stuff in, the smaller you have to make them, and the smaller they get, the lower the voltage they need to be run at.
          Because the DC-DC that generates Vcore from one of the rails is a switching converter, it can be built with basically equal efficiency whether it draws from the 5v or 12v rail. Because of that, I would expect that the decision of which rail to draw from may even be relatively arbitrary, and decided by the motherboard manufacturers more than anything - I wouldn't be surprised to see two different motherboards that accepted the same processor, that used different rails for generating Vcore.

But, as I said, I'm not familiar with industry standards and things like that - there may be defined standards about which rail is used for converting to Vcore, etc...
          But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
          Originally posted by Viscouse
          I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
          eegeek.net

Comment

Base on these guys http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=291218, amd chips run on 5V rail.
            I know mine does (XP2500+ Mobile).
            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC View Post
              Base on these guys http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=291218, amd chips run on 5V rail.
              I know mine does (XP2500+ Mobile).
              See, now you realize my confusion.

ALmost done reading the whole thread, maybe there will be that Perry Mason moment at the end.

Michael

Comment

Working...
              X