Logic Supply Car Systems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logic Supply Car Systems?

I found Logic Supply after a search for mini-itx to start down my path of building a car pc. They have systems all ready to go and I'm curious if anyone here has had any experience with them specifically or the hardware they sell. The reason I'm liking them is because of their power supplies that are 'intelligent' for startup and shutdown cleanly automatically. Plus, their price ($400 - $500) is in my budget.

http://www.logicsupply.com/index.php/cPath/50

What I'm looking at is their CAR3677 system with an EPIA MII 12000 1.2Ghz board and CPU. I'm curious though about whether it will have enough power for what I want to do and if those setups play well with Windows Media Center and visualizations.

Currently I have a Dell 1.6Ghz laptop that I've been using as a beta setup and it's been working just fine, but I don't know how close to pentium perfomance these EPIA setups are. I bought a generic $150 8 inch 640x480 touchscreen on ebay and it works fine as well.

This is my plan if you want to know the big picture:

(side note: I'm not using the carPC as a head unit, but rather coming into an existing stereo setup via an aux input)

1. Get cheap touchscreen and use laptop to see if I even like the idea of a carpc in actual use. (this step is complete and I do like it so far)

2. Build or purchase an actual carpc main unit and do some semi-permenant install of that and current touch screen.

3. If I'm still in love with the idea after getting my new car (60 days out) then replace the screen with a brighter one and fab it into the new car.

For a front-end I've been using Windows Media Center and it's been fine. Ther are a couple things that don't play well with such a small screen and with touch only input, but if I get to step 2 I'll probably buy Street Deck. Street Deck works well and looks great although I'll need to modify it considerably because all I'm puting on this is Music. MAYBE NAV, but that's a big maybe because I really don't need it enough and if/when I do need it I have an ipaq with a bluetooth GPS reciever or even my cellphone all ready to go so I don't need to spend any more money on yet another GPS option. *smile*

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

mp3car.com store

Originally posted by archaic0 View Post
    I found Logic Supply after a search for mini-itx to start down my path of building a car pc. They have systems all ready to go and I'm curious if anyone here has had any experience with them specifically or the hardware they sell. The reason I'm liking them is because of their power supplies that are 'intelligent' for startup and shutdown cleanly automatically.....
    Most of the folks on this site would prefer to build their own PC. It is OK if you want someone to do it for you. I bought some of my parts from Logic Supply and I will buy from them again. I also purchased some from this site:

http://store.mp3car.com/?Click=9814
    ~Jimmy

Comment

Many of us have sourced parts from Logic Supply.
      I haven't used them, but would buy from them with confidence, knowing the large number of members here who have had a very good experience.

The mp3car.com store is great, too.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyFitz View Post
        Most of the folks on this site would prefer to build their own PC.
        Of course. In years past I've been an avid PC builder and still build my home game machines, but really it's been because of the price point for quality hardware and in 96 when I built a dual celly 300 I built a $5,000 machine for under a grand. Today however, we're only talking about a couple hundred dollars, if even that.

I did build my media center PC for the front room, but mainly because I already had the video card and hard drive so I got a bare bones kit and it's up and working great.

Thanks for the votes of confidence on Logic Supply. I'm at a point where I first look to see if I can just buy what I need out of the box and have it work... then if the price is too high or the solution not available I'll build it. I'm too busy and have too many projects to make each of them my own baby.

And I love the forum guys! I had a thought about puting together a car computer and wondered if anyone out there still did that since decks these days have most of the stuff you want already built in. A Google search revealed that sure enough, you guys are still alive and kicking!

I'm glad I found this site and this forum, I'm sure it'll continue to be a valuable source of information.

Comment

I purchased 80% of my items from them for myself and a complete system for my boss. Excellent quality, great sales/support staff so don't hesitate buying from them. Shop with confidence.
          Attached Files
          Alex
          Progress: 91% (Cosmetics) @ Stand Still...
          -------------------------------------------
          CarPC specs are BACK!! Edit yours today...

Comment

Has anyone tried to use windows media center on these? I recently built that media center pc and media center didn't like the on board video card. I was replacing it anyway, so I didn't care, but on this one I'm stick with what's on board.

Comment

I'm confused though....this place has smart PSUs as well...many of the times it's the same ones even: https://store.mp3car.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=22

There is nothing wrong with Logic Supply, I've purchased from them in the past and have been very pleased. However, I do know that they are getting out of the CarPC market. Which is unfortunate, but it is a compeditive market.
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

What is the confusing part? The sell PSUs, but also complete systems.

If the market is so competitive, where else might I look for complete systems? I found them as the first google match so I stopped looking.

I'm all for price shopping.

Comment

The reason I'm liking them is because of their power supplies that are 'intelligent' for startup and shutdown cleanly automatically.
                  That statement made it sound like you thought that they were the only ones who offered thes PSUs. Which is not the case at all. Far from it.

You can also purchase complete systems here on this site at the store. Have you been to the store here?
                  Jan Bennett
                  FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Oh, no I didn't know they sell complete systems here. I had looked at the street deck software and screens, but didn't see full systems.

I'm just getting back into this so I'm a newbie for sure.

There is so much info in the forum that its tough to sort through it, especially when a lot of the beginner guides start even too basic for me. I don't need help wiring, but I'm after general experience pointers from those who know.

Once again, thank you guys for being willing to help.

Comment

Working...
                    X