hardware problem.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardware problem.

Hi, I have my carPC for about 5 months now, and I tried several things to fix this, but I cant seem to find it.

I have a:
    AMD 3800+ Socket AM2
    Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
    Sapphire Ati X1650Pro 256MB GDDR3
    1* 1024MB Corsair DDR2 667
    1* Maxtor 200GB IDE 7200RPM
    CarTFT.com K90 7" InDash VGA Touchscreen
    CarTFT.com 300W DC~DC (9~18 VDC)

here's the PSU's specifications:
    Input Voltage Range 9 - 18VDC
    Output Power maximum 300W
    Output Power maximum (rails) +3.3V : 15A
    +5.0V : 30A
    +12.0V : 12A
    Remote sensing +5V and +3.3V

I personally think it's the power supply giving problems, not the wattage but the ampere @ 12v, I calculated that this system needs 220W of power, and this PSU should deliver it but I think the Amps on the 12V+ is just way too low.

the problem is that the PC just randomly crashes, windows doesnt give any errors after I start the PC up again or anything, The carpc does the same thing as if you'd pull the plug on a normal PC.

anyone know what I can do ?

I've been thinking to go for a new setup,
    but I have to be sure it's due to the PSU, and I have also been considering getting the PC out of my car and then put a normal AC~DC PSU innit and see if it has any problems.

P.S. it's not when I go over a speedbump or anything that it drops out, it's just random, can be when I'm standing still, driving on a bumpy road, driving on a flat road w/o any bumps or holes.

What make/model is the PSU? Is it a KeyPower?

Also, what's the point of the big honkin' 3D card? Playing Halo 2 on the road? It's excessive power consumption that you really don't need.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      What make/model is the PSU? Is it a KeyPower?

Also, what's the point of the big honkin' 3D card? Playing Halo 2 on the road? It's excessive power consumption that you really don't need.
      It's jsut a mid-range, or even lower-midrange gfx card, its not that supergood, and I play Madden NFL, Fifa, NFS Carbon and such in my car yeh.

and I dont know the brand of the PSU, it's just from CarTFT.com

Comment

Understand that even a mid-range 3D card draws a lot of power compared to onboard video. My sugestion is to try using the PSU with a video card that draws less power. I'd try using onboard video if your motherboard has that capability.
        That will tell you for certain if your PSU is simply overloaded or if there's another problem.

It could also be an overheating issue, although considering that it's friggin' winter in the northern hemisphere, I doubt that it's overheating.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
          Understand that even a mid-range 3D card draws a lot of power compared to onboard video. My sugestion is to try using the PSU with a video card that draws less power. I'd try using onboard video if your motherboard has that capability.
          That will tell you for certain if your PSU is simply overloaded or if there's another problem.

It could also be an overheating issue, although considering that it's friggin' winter in the northern hemisphere, I doubt that it's overheating.

CPU constantly @ 40C / 104F
          and I dont have any onboard video or such available.
          *EDIT* the gfx card draws 160Watts

Comment

Originally posted by MooZleZ View Post
            snip
            *EDIT* the gfx card draws 160Watts
            That is more than my whole system
            TruckinMP3
            D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Working...
            X