Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Source and Ignition wire ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Power Source and Ignition wire ??

    Hey, guys.. i am trying to gather some information about where to run my wire for power from my M2 ?? I have done search, cig. lighter is a no, no due to fluctuating power.. and using the stock HU power lead, isnt a great idea due to wire thickness is not sufficient for the amount of Amp. needed ?? So i was wondering, now this might sound like a stupid question, but i just wanted to be on safe side..

    Would a 10gauge or maybe even a 12gauge wire be sufficient for running from my M2-ATX PSU to the battery cable ?? Also, would it be alright, if i tapped into power cable that is hooked up into my Stock AMP ?? or would it interfere with the amp ?? I will be running the P/C in my trunk located under the trunk mat where my spare tire goes (no use for spare tire) so it will be closer to the stock HK amp, that is why i was thinking of running the wire to the stock amps power source?? also, for those that have done an install on a 01+ BMW, is there any ignition wire that runs in the rear trunk, i can tap into for the M2 PSU as well ?? any suggestion, comments are welcomed..

    Thank you..

    -btw mods, feel free to move this thread if its in the wrong topic.. ??
    -Steph'

  • #2
    i think for such high current devices like amp and pc, it is best to tap from the battery directly, try not to daisy chain them and give them a good grounding point. i am using 4 gauge for my amp, planning to install a carpc soon, wonder if 8 gauge wire enough for a DSATX?

    Comment


    • #3
      8awg is fine for the DSATX, as long as the run isn't too long (like more than several dozen yards).
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?



      Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
        8awg is fine for the DSATX, as long as the run isn't too long (like more than several dozen yards).
        10-12gauge be fine for a M2-ATX ?? thanks.

        -Steph'

        Comment


        • #5
          I'd go 10awg to be safe. 12awg might be just fine, but thicker wire can carry more load, resulting in less possibility of the cabling being the power bottleneck.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?



          Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            I'd go 10awg to be safe. 12awg might be just fine, but thicker wire can carry more load, resulting in less possibility of the cabling being the power bottleneck.
            sweet. deal.. thanks i just picked up a roll of 10gauge wire.. btw, one more question, I picked up a fuse holder (mini-blade fuses max of 30amps) anyhow, i picked up a mini-blade fuse, at 15amps.. basically to run from the battery to the PSU, incase of overload dont want to burn out the PSU or the system, or should i have gone with 20amp ??

            once again, thanks for the comments, they are really usefull to a n00b like me.. .. hope t post pics soon.. woop!

            -Steph'

            Comment


            • #7
              What's the power drain of the kit you want to use? That's where you judge the fuse capacity from.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CoupeE46 View Post
                sweet. deal.. thanks i just picked up a roll of 10gauge wire.. btw, one more question, I picked up a fuse holder (mini-blade fuses max of 30amps) anyhow, i picked up a mini-blade fuse, at 15amps.. basically to run from the battery to the PSU, incase of overload dont want to burn out the PSU or the system, or should i have gone with 20amp ??

                once again, thanks for the comments, they are really usefull to a n00b like me.. .. hope t post pics soon.. woop!

                -Steph'

                15amps is fine, 20 would have been fine as well.


                you pick a fuse size based on the wire size, not what's plugged into it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ivanmx6 View Post
                  What's the power drain of the kit you want to use? That's where you judge the fuse capacity from.
                  i havnt figured the power drain yet, I have a digital multimeter handy, the carpc system is in house, hooked up to a regular ATX power supply at the moment, how would i find the power drain, using the multimeter ?? are there connections on the board, i would use the probes to find the power drop ?? thanks agai for the help..
                  Originally posted by greenman100 View Post
                  15amps is fine, 20 would have been fine as well.


                  you pick a fuse size based on the wire size, not what's plugged into it.
                  cool, ya, i thats what i figured.. thanks..

                  -Steph'

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CoupeE46 View Post
                    i havnt figured the power drain yet, I have a digital multimeter handy, the carpc system is in house, hooked up to a regular ATX power supply at the moment, how would i find the power drain, using the multimeter ?? are there connections on the board, i would use the probes to find the power drop ?? thanks agai for the help..
                    it's not really safe, or accurate, to do what you're trying to do.

                    different types of power supplied have different efficiencies, so you may draw 60watts with your house PSU and 50 watts with your car PSU.

                    a good ballpark would be about 4 amps, fully running. maybe 5.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by greenman100 View Post
                      it's not really safe, or accurate, to do what you're trying to do.

                      different types of power supplied have different efficiencies, so you may draw 60watts with your house PSU and 50 watts with your car PSU.

                      a good ballpark would be about 4 amps, fully running. maybe 5.
                      thanks.. alright, well i'll stick with teh 15amp.. as a safety margin, i notice there is a miniblade 5amp fuse on the M2 PSU as well..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                        8awg is fine for the DSATX, as long as the run isn't too long (like more than several dozen yards).
                        Thanks for the info, since we are in a topic of wiring power cables, can i check with you guys if it is ok to use a different grounding point for DSATX and audio amplifier? (probably about 1-1.5m apart)

                        I am worry about ground loop issue.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by kwchan View Post
                          Thanks for the info, since we are in a topic of wiring power cables, can i check with you guys if it is ok to use a different grounding point for DSATX and audio amplifier? (probably about 1-1.5m apart)

                          I am worry about ground loop issue.
                          ground loop is a little like black magic.

                          it won't hurt anything, so you can try it

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            alright, guys.. all wires have been stripped and connected to the mobo.. I am using 10gauge for power, and for ground I am using the stock wires that came with the PSU I think its a 12gauge ??? reason is because the 10 gauge, wouldnt fit correctly how the psu is setup in teh box.. hopefully this wont be much of a problem ??

                            Next on the list, is to purchase a wire TAP, to run the wire to the battery cable.. .. then just gotta wait until next week for the screen, and the bezel.. then the install will be underway.. cant wait..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              btw, another quick question i have a tray load, slim cd/dvd drive (usb) could i cut the end of the adapter wire and wire it to the battery or do i need some type of resistors to regulate power ?? Is there anyway i can use the existing PSU as well for power, reason is because the cd/dvd is constantly on when there is power being fed to the drive..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X