Radio replacement, PC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio replacement, PC?

Ok, I am thinking of removing my double din radio from a ’99 Tahoe. I want to put one of the new 7” touch VGA LCDs in its place and connect it up to a mini PC. What are my options for relocating the original radio and or replacing it with a PC FM tuner that is accompanied with well laid out software control? Thanks in advance for any input.
    Take a look at my CarPC

This whole forum is dedicated to answering those questions.. You've really got to read around to figure this stuff out.

As far as mother boards go.. I'd say either a wafer board or a mini-itx if you are looking to make a din sized computer...

All of your questions have been answered 10 times over so please take a look around the forums. If you have a specific question about what to do ask then, asking this broad question is a bit absurd and lazy.
    aka Kumaneko
    "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
    Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
    mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
    Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

I have been looking around. I am not looking at building a mini PC from components. I was more interested in what is the best PC hardware to replace my head unit. Before I posted I read your dumb idea in this post , so don’t give me a hard time about searching.
      Take a look at my CarPC

Comment

I'm not going to get into a flame war with you, but first of all in that post i stated "this is a long shot" It was only an idea.

The "best hardware" is constantly being discussed. So before you go insulting people maybe you should post some real ideas and questions. Once you've insluted someone and acted in such poor class it's hard to find help.

I reitterate.. Ask some real questions and you will get some real answers. Everyday people are posting their opinions on what is the best hardware and what is the best software. There is no reason to expect that anyone is going to change their mind just because some lazy and rude person asks the same question that has been asked 1,000 times already.

Also.. If you have actually been reading you might know that I'm building a double din computer as we speak. If you want to know what hardware I recomend it's probably the hardware I'm using. vickumar has built a single din player.. I'd imaging he used the hardware he felt was best.
        aka Kumaneko
        mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation

Comment

Damn, Shinkuno....

You have much more restraint than myself. If hotwater's post was directed to me, after making a very inteligent statement like you did I would have ripped him a new hard drive....

So hotwater..... Shin statement and mine are not meant as a knock or anything, but please be polite and don't insult people just cause you don't like what they say (even when it is right)....

Ask a specific question and you will get plenty of specific help... ask a general question (like your's above) and most will ignore or tell you to SEARCH

My two cents

Comment

Yeah, but his restraint really doesn't count. If I could drive around all day watching visualizations on that sweet in-dash setup he has, I'd be extremely passive too...

Comment

Forgive him for he's an Aggie.
              Don't Click

Comment

Hah, I didn't notice that Gutter.... Thanks for pointing it out, now I undertand....

Comment

hotwater9,
                  An idea such as the one Shin posted is not dumb. It's an idea - maybe not the best idea ever thought, but without people like Shin posting it, this form would not exist. No one would have said, "Hey...I'd really like to play all my MP3s in my car...and maybe watch DVD movies and GPS..." you see where I'm going...trace it back further and we'd all be sitting on rocks somewhere, clotheless, covered in our own excrement and grunting.

On to your question...

You could very easily relocate your stock radio anywhere you'd like - just extend the harness, (if it doesn't have RCA outs) get a wiring diagram and find out which wires are for the speakers, buy a Speaker to RCA converter from Crutchfield's or Rat Shack, etc. and plug it into your sound card input.

You could also get a PCI card with AM/FM radio on it (they also make ISA ones, but I haven't seen one with an AM radio on it...if you care about AM). I bought the Cadet AM/FM PCI card...it seems to work well...I'm not going to remove my stock radio yet..as the PCI card still seems to get some interference... It's very easy to extend the antenna wire as it's simply coax...the PCI card will accept a threaded coax connection....

Hope this helps!

- Jeff
                  95 Mustang GT Convertible
                  87 Mustang GT Convertible
                  My Project | Let's Go Mets! | SCT Tuners

Project Status [===#===] [Bezel and dash creation]

Comment

Thanks for the support guys

jzgt: i think you have ISA and PCI reversed.. the Cadet is an ISA card.. and there are no PCI cards I know of with AM.. actually the Cadet is the only computer component I know of with AM
                    aka Kumaneko

Comment

You are correct....I had it mixed up...lots-o-stuff floating around in this container I call my head.

- Jeff
                      95 Mustang GT Convertible
                      87 Mustang GT Convertible
                      My Project | Let's Go Mets! | SCT Tuners

Project Status [===#===] [Bezel and dash creation]

Comment

jzgt,

Thanks for the response. I think I have decided on what I am going to do.
                        1) Remove my double DIN radio
                        2) Move my AC controls from the dash to the overhead light/storage area
                        2) Buy a single din head unit with aux audio in and put it in the ac controls spot
                        3) Buy a 7" LCD and place it in the double din slot.

Does this sound feasible? It will require more time and $ on my part, but I think I will get the best performance

Take a look at my CarPC

Comment

Yeah Hotwater... that sounds like a decent plan... That is basically what I did with mine... Removed the Chevy Double DIN radio, removed and relocated the AC controls and placed my LCD in the remaining hole.

The computer is located in the rear hatch area of the car. Not the most stylish place, but I really didn't feel like doing a bunch of shrinking magic and try to build it into a tiny spot.

I think it would be possible to build and entire PC and place it in the dash behind the LCD screen (in the hole from the radio and AC stuff).... But like I said it would require alot of shrinking spells.......

Comment

just for your info its not a double din that your truck has its a din and a half

http://2000neon.homestead.com/files/boxon.JPG

Comment

The radio and ac controls in your 'ho are the same as in my S-10. Something to note is the AC control is quite deep about 4" or so. Putting it overhead it will have to lay pretty much horizontal putting the knobs back near your head. Also if the connection is like my S-10, there is a bundle of wires as well as at least 6 vacume hoses that will have to be extended. I'm not sure what will happen to the vacume pressure goign that far. You may look at putting a regular din sized radio in with a slide out lcd in the 1/2 din space above or below it. I've toyed with the idea of gutting the factory radio and then taking the inside out of better deck and making a new front pcb to work with the factory buttons basically making a nice system look like a not worth stealing factory radio.

Comment

Working...
                              X