Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know of a mini itx with a pcmcia slot at the front?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know of a mini itx with a pcmcia slot at the front?

Most seem to have the port at the back of the board.

Is it possible to extend the connection to the front of the case?

Thanks

Have you thought about a USB-to-PCMCIA adapter? I never used one, so I cannot tell you how well it will work.

Comment

Originally posted by synkro View Post

Most seem to have the port at the back of the board.

Is it possible to extend the connection to the front of the case?

Thanks
      They will all be at the back because when you stick a mobo in a case, the only thing visible to the outside world is the back. So if you have a slot, that is where it will go. Most people use cases, so via caters towards them.

As far as extending/moving the adapter, yes it will work but don't even think about it unless you are a god of soldering.

Best bet is a cheap USB-PCMCIA like the poster above has suggested.
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

thanks for the advice. those usb to pcmcia adapters arent cheap, $200 on ebay. was hoping for a diy solution, might consider a solder job to relocate the slot to the front. The case will be mounted in the boot, and i wont have access to the back. Want to be able to plug my 3g card in after work each day.

Comment

I don't know if it would work (or well) but what if you used something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820128003

and then extended the cable that connects the PCI portion to the drive bay portion. People have extended IDE cables for a few meters, but the results are mixed and depend greatly on the solder used, the connection made, the cable used, and the skill of the maker. If you were able to DIY some active extender that has a gizmo in the middle that will amplify the signals and then de-amplify at the end, it might be worth looking into.

Also the longer the cable distance without amplification, the more loss of data you will have. So from the boot to the dash, that is a lot of wire, and a lot of sources to pick up noise.

It might be something to look into though.
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

or use an ide to pcmcia adapter for 6.00
            here

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity View Post
              or use an ide to pcmcia adapter for 6.00
              here
              I have never seen one of those before! Cool.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

@ 2k1toaster, i think you've hit the nail on the head! The usb->pcmcia adapters are too expensive ($250). That gizmo on new egg, looks like it might do the trick... and cheap too! unfortunatley ill lose a pci slot but i might be able to find a board with two of them.

@ Motorcity, cheers for the suggestion. Im not sure if that ide->pcmcia adapter wud work for a comms device like my 3g vodafone card. Looks like it wud only work for memory storage devices

The ultimate solution wud be a motherbord with a short 6" extender cable to relocate the pcmcia reader to the front of the case, but most mb's seem to have the card reader soldered directly to the underside of the mb. The reason im need this is cos my pc case will be mounted into a compartment in the boot and will only be accessible from the front.

Comment

something similar for $40 but not restricted to pci area of case

http://www.amtron.com/reader/pcdrp101cs.htm

Comment

Just beware that a long run from the boot to the dash might degrade the signal quality running through that cable. So make sure you use good cable for he extension like CAT5 o something, and shield it. Make sure it is as short as possible, and running as far away from other power and signal wires. That will help alot.

Or you could try to remove the PCMCIA slot from that device and have it extend about halfway, then to the unit, and then to the extended cables back to the computer. It might work better because the signal will be reamplified when it leaves the unit, and the actual runs of the long wire is cut in half. Just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by synkro View Post
                      something similar for $40 but not restricted to pci area of case

http://www.amtron.com/reader/pcdrp101cs.htm
                      The one you linked to is indeed a PCI reader... So it is restricted to the PCI side of the case.

Comment

yes you are correct...

but im getting hotter.... just found this baby.

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=8

Its an 11cm pci extension cable, so im thinking if i use that with the pci->pcmcia card http://www.amtron.com/reader/pcdrp101cs.htm I can bring the pci card to the front. It might just work! (btw im just looking to relocate the slot to the front of the pc case not to the front of the car)

I wonder which solution is best?
                        This -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820128003 Or pci-pcmcia card with 11cm pci extension cable. There is probably only about 20$ in the difference.

I also plan on using a pci doubler to make up for the loss of the pci slot.

Comment

Working...
                        X