Very cool way to hook up the audio to the car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very cool way to hook up the audio to the car

My 15 year old brother found this website and got a Link-it FM transmitter for his summer vacation with my parents in the minivan. I tried it out and WOW! it has 4 different FM frequency settings and they are Exact. On my website you can see pictures of the old method I was using to send the mp3 player audio to the radio and it was very crummy. I took this thing apart and it uses a PLL synthisizer and has a microcontroller and is made of very high quality surface mount components.. I just ordered two and recieved them today. The first thing I did was take them apart to see how they did it. I highly recommend this as a way to connect to a CD player that doesn't have aux in or if your mp3 player has buzzing coming in over the RCA jacks. Or if you just want
    it wireless!!

http://www.mp3playerstore.com/buy_it_now__/link-it.htm At the bottom you will see the Link-it FM Transmitter. It is only 25 bucks! plus 4.95 shipping. I am very impressed!
    MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
    www.mpegbox.com

I see all these threads about hooking up computer sound card's to existing head units and/or speakers, and I can't figure out why everybody wants to do it the hard/expensive way.

There's a cluster of wires that goes to the speakers which plugs into the back of the head unit. Find out which wires go to which speakers and splice into them. It's free. It's fast. And it works better than any transmitter or modulator since it's a direct connection.
    Don't Click

Comment

My reasons would be...

Because I do not want to buy a new head unit and amp.
      I have a factory head unit with no Aux input.
      I want some kind of volume control other than the PC.

Right now I have regular desktop powered speakers under my seats. I then plug the speaker transformer into my inverter. It is about as rigged as anything, but it works, and untill I figure out another way, this transmitter may clean it up a little.

MPEGBOX , Does it use batteries? Also what is the range?
      If it runs on battries, that all but kills the usefullness of it for me.
      If it does use batteries, what is the voltage needed?
      A 97 Dodge Ram pickup with a 14" LCD running at 1024x768. A Dell desktop PII 400, 128MB Ram, 8GB & 20GB Drives, TV tuner, Cd Burner, Garmin legend GPS, Mappoint 2002, win98, and winamp.
      pics

Comment

Originally posted by Gutter

There's a cluster of wires that goes to the speakers which plugs into the back of the head unit. Find out which wires go to which speakers and splice into them. It's free. It's fast. And it works better than any transmitter or modulator since it's a direct connection.
        It isn't fast, it isn't free and it won't work at all unless you get a separate amp to power the speakers and then you will have problems connecting two different amps to a single speaker. It causes headaches, it is a soldering nightmare, and it doesn't allow you to use your existing radio.

For 25 bucks, I'm going the wireless route. That way I can take my MP3 player in at night, (since I had one stolen..)

Jeff
        www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by tation

MPEGBOX , Does it use batteries? Also what is the range?
          If it runs on battries, that all but kills the usefullness of it for me.
          If it does use batteries, what is the voltage needed?
          It runs on 2 AAAs and it says that it runs for 20 hours. I am going to see if the sheild shares a common ground with the batteries and then hook it up to the PC's 3.3v supply and I'll let you know how that works..

The range is better than 30 feet

Jeff
          www.mpegbox.com

Comment

how well does it work indoors? i've been thinking about building one to be able to listen through out the house (w/o blown speakers)

Also does it transmitt in Stereo? most that i've seen are mono ..
            [SIZE=1]'91 Nissan Stanza

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] XX% Completed -
            Car Totaled and i bought a 20G mp3 player

http://machs-fuel.tk
            a DIY video projector page

Comment

do you have a test mp3 that has good stereo seperation that you would like me to record onto my computer over the air so that you can see how well it does? It has stereo and it claims that it has 46db or something of separation.. (which is very good...)

Jeff
              www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Fuk that looks good how come us aussie's cant have stuff like that lol
                If i was in america i would grab one straight away for 25 american dollars
                http://austmp3car.tk

Comment

hey Jeff...Were u able to hook up ur computer PSU to power it up??Im very interested in getting one, but only if i can use my computer PSU to power it up...I dont want to be worring about replacing batterys....

Comment

Originally posted by Holden__V8
                    That would be because you get all the good weather mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Holden__V8
                      If i was in america i would grab one straight away for 25 american dollars
                      Actually the company is from Canada. They ship to the States for 5 bucks..
                      www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Hmm... This just might work for me. I just got a new car, which has CD + casette but no aux input or changer controls. I'd put my aftermarket deck back in, but the new car (Saturn VUE) has On-Star, which is integrated with the factory deck.
                        Zootjeff: Do you think this tranmitter would do a better job than a cassette adapter?

Comment

Originally posted by mtmsol
                          Hmm... This just might work for me. I just got a new car, which has CD + casette but no aux input or changer controls. I'd put my aftermarket deck back in, but the new car (Saturn VUE) has On-Star, which is integrated with the factory deck.
                          Zootjeff: Do you think this tranmitter would do a better job than a cassette adapter?
                          I think they are similar in quality. The FM transmitter has an audio frequency range of 50hz to 15khz. Now i know it can be as good as 20hz to 20khz for th real high end stuff, but I think most tape decks are not that great.. A standard cassette goes from 35hz to 14khz... so take that as you will, but I think the quality is great and The bass is really crisp. If you are the type that cares about 20-50hz or 15-20khz, you are going to run RCA jacks anyway and have already spend 1000 on your car stereo..
                          www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Originally posted by SPyder_Flex97
                            hey Jeff...Were u able to hook up ur computer PSU to power it up??
                            I havn't had the time yet I have had a death in the family every month for the last 4 months. I have other things on the mind at the moment.
                            www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Good weather lol i dont think so man. Over here were are in winter and lucky if it gets to 15 degeres. Oh well il just stick to my pioneer ipbus cable for now
                              http://austmp3car.tk

Comment

Working...
                              X