Problems with theft?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with theft?

How many people here have had their screen stolen?

Theft seems to me like it would be the most major concern with an in car computer. To help avoid this somewhat I have decided to use a somewhat budget approach with my system instead of going all out.

Having an expensive monitor poking off your dash seems like an invitation for getting a window broken even if you lock up.

I'm looking at designing and setting up my own Infrared alarm system. The infrared transmitter received is $25. The remote/receiver is about $20. Then a few more dollars for wiring and relays and I'll be set .
    2003 Nissan Xterra Worklog

Total amount spent so far: $1196.64

You will probably spend AT LEAST 2x what you initially budget for your CarPC Project!

2003 Nissan Xterra - Modifications

Comment

you should see how many people have opted to go with a fake faceplate to cover up their screens. You should search for some posts to see examples.

Comment

That and the fact that you can mold the screen in to look completely OEM. So they don't get broken into any more than regular cars seeing as how they all have screens now adays anyways. A successful install will look completley stock.
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

If someone is determined enough, they will steal whatever it is that they're after irregardless of how advanced your alarm system is. Nine times out of ten, they're looking for anything flashy or out of place. The best thing you can do to secure your investment is have a decent alarm (I have a 791XVR with an additional 140dB siren installed behind the rear bumper cover) and have your install as OEM as possible.

Before I started designing my carPC, my car was broken into and I lost my entire sound system as well as 4 airbags and a book of CD's. The guy was eventually caught due to trying to fence a $1400 radio to a pawn shop for 200 bucks, and when asked why he did it at his hearing? "'Cuz it looked expensive".

It was parked in the parking structure at my school right by the stairs at 3 in the afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Derwood View Post
            If someone is determined enough, they will steal whatever it is that they're after irregardless of how advanced your alarm system is. Nine times out of ten, they're looking for anything flashy or out of place. The best thing you can do to secure your investment is have a decent alarm (I have a 791XVR with an additional 140dB siren installed behind the rear bumper cover) and have your install as OEM as possible.

Before I started designing my carPC, my car was broken into and I lost my entire sound system as well as 4 airbags and a book of CD's. The guy was eventually caught due to trying to fence a $1400 radio to a pawn shop for 200 bucks, and when asked why he did it at his hearing? "'Cuz it looked expensive".

It was parked in the parking structure at my school right by the stairs at 3 in the afternoon.
            Alarms don't do anything. Not around here anyways.

When was the last time that you heard a car alarm go off, you thought to yourself, "Self, I wonder if that car is being broken into. I should go check that out". You haven't. What you think is "Somebody shut that damn alarm off". Nobody cares if an alarm is going off. It only deters the idiots. If a theif wants something, they will get it. You just have to make them think there is nothing to take. You do that by making it look OEM. Nobody is going to steal an OEM radio because you can't just pawn it and drop it in another car. SO if it looks OEM all the better.
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

2 way alarm is helpful as it will "page" you if you are in range. Like everyone has stated though people who are DESPERATE will not give 2 rats asses if there is an alarm or anything else if they detect that there is something worth taking and want it bad enough.
              Its unfortunate and inevitable.
              Best rule of thumb is "out of sight-out of mind"

Comment

Even a 2 way alarm isn't going to save you from a smash and grab.

Comment

Originally posted by Derwood View Post

They stole your airbags??? Never heard of that. Thats really bold.

Alarms work if the owner is in hearing range or paging range. If my alarm would go off, it wouldnt take me long to look.
                  Mike

My Rides:
                  '03 Vibe GT!

My AED GA!

Comment

Originally posted by PontiacGA View Post
                    They stole your airbags???.
                    Yeah it happens. Someone once stole the logistics computer under the passengers side of my mothers car a few years ago. And remember when they were stealing headlights from those Nissan Maximas a few years back?

Comment

Originally posted by lexdiamond20 View Post
                      Yeah it happens. Someone once stole the logistics computer under the passengers side of my mothers car a few years ago. And remember when they were stealing headlights from those Nissan Maximas a few years back?
                      You mean still? lol. The HID outfitted Nissans are still getting hit regularly for their ballasts. I was just talking with my insurance agent about it because I told him I retrofitted my Civic's headlights with HID projectors. His first question was "Where did you get your parts? Do you have receipts. I can't cover them without them!" People have started moving to the TSX due to their preferred ease of installation... lol

And yeah- they took my driver and passanger airbags as well as the side impact airbags out of my RSX seats.... *shrugs*

02 Civic SRS Airbag = 200
                      04 RSX Side Impact Airbag = 300

They made some money off of my car... =\

Comment

Alarms work if the owner is in hearing range or paging range. If my alarm would go off, it wouldnt take me long to look.
                        Yup, happens a lot. My previous car was a salvaged car. Previous owner drove it in a flood, sucked water in to the air intake, and obviously trashed the engine. I assume that while it was waiting to get towed, someone jacked the bag out of the steering wheel. The owner of the place that I bought the car from said they are worth $1000-2000, depending on model and year of the car.

When I had to replace the horn switches on my current car, I had to take the bag out of the steering wheel, I realized why they are stolen so much. Pop the shroud off the steering wheel, unbolt 2 bolts, unhook a harness, and you have a yourself an airbag. Easier then taking anything else in my car...
                        -ZtH01
                        "It's my belief that my big balls should be held every night"

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                          Alarms don't do anything. Not around here anyways.

When was the last time that you heard a car alarm go off, you thought to yourself, "Self, I wonder if that car is being broken into. I should go check that out". You haven't. What you think is "Somebody shut that damn alarm off". Nobody cares if an alarm is going off. It only deters the idiots. If a theif wants something, they will get it. You just have to make them think there is nothing to take. You do that by making it look OEM. Nobody is going to steal an OEM radio because you can't just pawn it and drop it in another car. SO if it looks OEM all the better.

About 2 years ago, my car was broken it to. At that time I just had the factory alarm, so no shock sensors. When I found the car, the passenger side glass was smashed, and the door was ajar. When I went to open the door all the way, the big sheet of smashed glass fell to the ground. So the door was never fully opened. Obviously the alarm did it's job, as NOTHING was stolen.
                          -ZtH01
                          "It's my belief that my big balls should be held every night"

Comment

That happens quite a lot now a days. Airbags are expensive and the thieves know it.
                            Alex
                            Progress: 91% (Cosmetics) @ Stand Still...
                            -------------------------------------------
                            CarPC specs are BACK!! Edit yours today...

Comment

If you have a compressor and train horn set to go off with your alarm, that works well. You'll hear that sound a lot further than the range of a two way alarm
                              1998 Volvo S70 T5: Nothing much yet, 7" Lilliput molded into the dash and a MicronPC laptop on the passenger seat :)

Comment

Working...
                              X